MicroSoft is actively blocking W7/8/8.1 Windows Updates on KabyLake and Ryzen systems

source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

windows-logo-2013.png

this is seriously fucked up!

MS is now actively blocking updates when it detects:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors or later
  • AMD “Bristol Ridge” or later
  • Qualcomm “8996" or later

When you try to scan or download updates through Windows Update, you receive the following error message:

Unsupported Hardware
Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on this version of Windows  and you won’t receive updates.

Additionally, you may see an error message on the Windows Update window that resembles the following:

Windows could not search for new updates
An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
Error(s) found:
Code 80240037 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

MS doing everything in their bag of shitty tricks to stop people from using W7/8/8.1

That's fucking scummy.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Who needs Windows update anyway...

I was seriously confused until I read the last line... you should put something about "pre Win 10" in the title

fixed now

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was seriously confused until I read the last line... you should put something about "pre Win 10" in the title

Noo that's not how clickbait titles work. Everybody knows Ryzen and Kaby supports on W10 only

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Noo that's not how clickbait titles work. Everybody knows Ryzen and Kaby supports on W10 only

Well with it the way it is, it sounds like MS is blocking updates on new hardware outright, which is the opposite of what I'd expect.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

sorry, didn't do proofreading before posting it; altered the title to clarify

Fuck You Microsoft.

Well, I can't say I'm surprised.  I'm sure there will always be back alley hacks and tricks people can do to get updates on older systems if they try hard enough, but this is sure to annoy a lot of people - probably the ones that already dislike them for one reason or another, especially since it only affects those not using Win 10, which only people with a bone to pick avoid.

Do you misspell the current trademarked names on purpose? Serious question here.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

i am wondering if its a internal glitch, i am sure they are not purposely trying to destroy there self-image. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i am wondering if its a internal glitch, i am sure they are not purposely trying to destroy there self-image. 

Really?  This seems totally in character imo

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

judging from their track record this seems like something they'd do imo.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

judging from their track record this seems like something they'd do imo.

Really?  This seems totally in character imo

i am beginning to realize that now, well my 5820k is supported but its really scummy of them. shame that window 10 is one of the best platform for pc gaming and productivity.

Just now, zMeul said:

wonder what started it? maybe those Ryzen benchmarks where W7 performs better .. wink wink

xD who knows... I kind of doubt that though.  I think it's just more pushing Win 10 and trying to kill older versions.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD who knows... I kind of doubt that though.  I think it's just more pushing Win 10 and trying to kill older versions.

they could've done it since last year with KabyLake's launch

Microsoft will do anything to get people to update to Windows 10, this is just as expected.

Just now, zMeul said:

they could've done it since last year with KabyLake's launch

Or any other time.  I'm content to assume it's a coincidence.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Or any other time.  I'm content to assume it's a coincidence.

pretty timely coincidence :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

wonder what started it? maybe those Ryzen benchmarks where W7 performs better .. wink wink

its kinda sad to be honest, its expected that a new version of a software performs better especially with enthusiast grade hardware such as ryzen.   

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

its kinda sad to be honest, its expected that a new version of a software performs better especially with enthusiast grade hardware such as ryzen.   

Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better.