CPU Gaming Laptop Overheating

zery87

Hi!, I am using MSI GE62 2QF, CPU is throttling every time when I am playing games...would like to have some recommendations on what laptop cooler I could get?

What do guys think about OPOLAR Laptop cooler? I don't care about the noise just anything that can prevent my CPU from throttling. On second thought, I don't think this OPOLAR can fit my laptop since is a back fan cooling system...

I would consider trying software such as Intel XTU or ThrottleStop and undervolting the processor first. It's much like overclocking, except removing voltage to reduce heat and increase turbo boost because of it. 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

I would consider trying software such as Intel XTU or ThrottleStop and undervolting the processor first. It's much like overclocking, except removing voltage to reduce heat and increase turbo boost because of it. 

Can I reduce the voltage but still run at 3.33GHz after turbo? :o

16 minutes ago, zery87 said:

Can I reduce the voltage but still run at 3.33GHz after turbo? :o

Yes, just verify your system is stable and can maintain the same clock rates as before by running a CPU stress test, again, much like overclocking.

1 hour ago, Suika said:

Yes, just verify your system is stable and can maintain the same clock rates as before by running a CPU stress test, again, much like overclocking.

Yup it helps, I did a core voltage offset of -0.07V, now is constantly running at 2.98Ghz to 3.00Ghz when it thermal throttles compared to last time...it ran way lower clock speeds. Hmm, I wondering if there's any more I can do to prevent it from thermal throttling at all xD Thanks a lot m8 

1 hour ago, zery87 said:

Yup it helps, I did a core voltage offset of -0.07V, now is constantly running at 2.98Ghz to 3.00Ghz when it thermal throttles compared to last time...it ran way lower clock speeds. Hmm, I wondering if there's any more I can do to prevent it from thermal throttling at all xD Thanks a lot m8 

What architecture is it? Certain ones undervolt better than others on average. For example, Haswell can do -50mV, Skylake -150mV, and Kaby Lake -100mV on average.

Also, a new application of thermal compound is usually a decent idea, although it typically only does me up to 2-4C on recent laptops.

4 minutes ago, Suika said:

What architecture is it? Certain ones undervolt better than others on average. For example, Haswell can do -50mV, Skylake -150mV, and Kaby Lake -100mV on average.

Also, a new application of thermal compound is usually a decent idea, although it typically only does me up to 2-4C on recent laptops.

Unfortunately, is Haswell. well I did -70mv, it seems to run fine right now. I will do a new application of thermal compound and clean out the heatsinks when I got the time. thanks!