The difference between a founders edition card and custom branded card (MSI in this case)

Go to solution Solved by Ultra_Man52,
Just now, Wiizimov said:

Completely unrelated note, but a friend has a Zotac Amper Edition 980ti that he's had a couple months but has since gone out and got a VR setup and invested in a 10 series card, he said he'd sell it to me for 150-200 if I was interested, would you say 980ti or 1070? For the sake of performance, because I've just too many options here :'( 

Holy moly a 980ti for 150-200 snag that ASAP. I would say it's equal to 1070, and if you overclock it, oh yeah

So I've always been an MSI lover when it came to my performance hardware, I'm looking to upgrade my current GTX970 to a GTX1070, But looking at the price difference in the founders vs my usual MSI edition card, I'm a little confused for choice.

I understand the MSI has a clock speed of 1632MHz and the founders 1506MHz, with boost speeds inflating at a respectable estimate of 10%. But is that and the MSI cooling really all that is different? The MSI GPU I'm going for is just under 50GBP more expensive than the Founders Edition GPU and I'd prefer to save the money if it's not worth the inflated price.

Just now, Wiizimov said:

So I've always been an MSI lover when it came to my performance hardware, I'm looking to upgrade my current GTX970 to a GTX1070, But looking at the price difference in the founders vs my usual MSI edition card, I'm a little confused for choice.

I understand the MSI has a clock speed of 1632MHz and the founders 1506MHz, with boost speeds inflating at a respectable estimate of 10%. But is that and the MSI cooling really all that is different? The MSI GPU I'm going for is just under 50GBP more expensive than the Founders Edition GPU and I'd prefer to save the money if it's not worth the inflated price.

Better power delivery (not like it will effect final clock that much)

OC, RGB, better cooler

that sort of stuff. 

You're looking at used GTX 1080 money if you're going to spend that on the MSI card. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

OC, RGB, better cooler

that sort of stuff. 

You're looking at used GTX 1080 money if you're going to spend that on the MSI card. 

Scan was just my first option, once I've decided what card to go on I was gonna check the market for the cheapest option on new 1070s, or wait a month or so and see if I find a price drop with the release of the 1080ti.
Thank you for your help! :)

Depending on your case and cooling needs either one can be better, but it doesn't really matter all too much. The founders edition does better in smaller cases, but it still does well in normal sized cases too. As for different clock speeds, it doesn't matter because you honestly SHOULD overclock. I'm not saying "hey you big dumb dumb overclock your stuff even if you're scared" but I highly recommend it. So if you get founders you can get the same or better overclock as the MSI one. There is also the differant lighting effects on cards and such. And crap I took too long to type this.

the majority of the difference is in the cooler solution, some have a custom board under the hood, others dont, but in a normal use case i wouldnt see it as that much of a difference.

1 minute ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

"hey you big dumb dumb overclock your stuff even if you're scared"

i bought an overclockable CPU and left it at stock *just to piss that kind of people off*

and that said, it's not like overclocking GPU's has much fun left with gpu boost 3.0 :P

Just now, manikyath said:

i bought an overclockable CPU and left it at stock *just to piss that kind of people off*

and that said, it's not like overclocking GPU's has much fun left with gpu boost 3.0 :P

you rascal

3 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Depending on your case and cooling needs either one can be better, but it doesn't really matter all too much. The founders edition does better in smaller cases, but it still does well in normal sized cases too. As for different clock speeds, it doesn't matter because you honestly SHOULD overclock. I'm not saying "hey you big dumb dumb overclock your stuff even if you're scared" but I highly recommend it. So if you get founders you can get the same or better overclock as the MSI one. There is also the differant lighting effects on cards and such. And crap I took too long to type this.

I'm looking to upgrade my case, currently have the NZXT Phantom 410 and I've hated it since the day I got it. But I will more than likely be going the mid-tower route again (H440 looks pretty sleek).

I've never actually looked into OC'ing my GPU haha, tried with my CPU; i5 4690k a month or so back and let's just say it's no longer OC'd, I did not do well in that, but learn from mistakes ey :D
And I'd rather you take longer to reply than give me a vague answer, cheers man:)

Just now, Wiizimov said:

I'm looking to upgrade my case, currently have the NZXT Phantom 410 and I've hated it since the day I got it. But I will more than likely be going the mid-tower route again (H440 looks pretty sleek).

I've never actually looked into OC'ing my GPU haha, tried with my i5 4690k a month or so back and let's just say it's no longer OC'd, I did not do well in that, but learn from mistakes ey :D
And I've rather you take longer to reply than give me a vague answer, cheers man:)

*whispers* now guy look here, you want a good mid tower? You better set those peepers on the define s window, that is so slick and good and MMMMMMMMMMM YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

1 minute ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

*whispers* now guy look here, you want a good mid tower? You better set those peepers on the define s window, that is so slick and good and MMMMMMMMMMM YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Something cheeky, like this ?

10 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

OC, RGB, better cooler

that sort of stuff. 

Completely unrelated note, but a friend has a Zotac Amper Edition 980ti that he's had a couple months but has since gone out and got a VR setup and invested in a 10 series card, he said he'd sell it to me for 150-200 if I was interested, would you say 980ti or 1070? For the sake of performance, because I've just too many options here :'( 

Just now, Wiizimov said:

Holy moly a 980ti for 150-200 snag that ASAP. I would say it's equal to 1070, and if you overclock it, oh yeah

2 minutes ago, Wiizimov said:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3439vs3609

if memory serves, that zotac was one of the nicer 980ti's as well.

Just now, Ultra_Man52 said:

You think?:D Just didn't like the look of the card all that much (aesthetically that is), didn't really know what the performance is between the two. But you boy you do love your overclocking ;)

1 minute ago, Wiizimov said:

You think?:D Just didn't like the look of the card all that much (aesthetically that is), didn't really know what the performance is between the two. But you boy you do love your overclocking ;)

I've actually never overclocked my 980ti because I want my babies to be underwater before I get em' going. But they overclock like beasts, and I know that without even doing it myself. Yeah, but get pranked.

3 minutes ago, Wiizimov said:

the zotacs tend to look a bit plain, but that means you have style points left to spend on decorating before stuff goes hideous :P

the $200 price tag on the 980ti is too good to pass up,  that's half what you would pay for a 1070 and performance will be pretty even.