Quadcopter Deterrent

WMGroomAK

Give me $300 and a sack of potatoes and I can save a fortune on Patriot missles...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

On 15/03/2017 at 6:34 PM, ivan134 said:

The military is clearly underfunded.

No, missiles are expensive because they arent made in chinese sweatshops. I promise, if you made that missile in a sweatshop it would cost 30k, not 3m.

5 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Give me $300 and a sack of potatoes and I can save a fortune on Patriot missles...

What about all the starving children in africa, You could feed a whole country on that sack of potatos

25 minutes ago, Prysin said:

What about all the starving children in africa, You could feed a whole country on that sack of potatos

I was going to make potato salad =\

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

8 hours ago, Centurius said:

I mean sure, if you phrase it as a $3 million missile vs a $200 drone it seems like a waste. If however you count the possible damage said drone could do, the image might look different. Against ISIS we have already seen cheap drones used to kill soldiers, the damage even one drone with a bomb could do against soldiers and equipment could justify the cost. 

That being said, there should be research into a cheaper solution, but things aren't black and white.

Really? You're over exaggerating what a drone can do. The best they can do with one is fly it high speed into the side of a building and break a window.

Or maybe. Fly one into high speed into the side of someones head and cut them... I don't see it. They pose very little danger.

Beyond hitting things, they can be used for surveillance, however that is already possible in so many other ways. A quadcopter isn't changing much.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

17 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Really? You're over exaggerating what a drone can do. The best they can do with one is fly it high speed into the side of a building and break a window.

Or maybe. Fly one into high speed into the side of someones head and cut them... I don't see it. They pose very little danger.

Beyond hitting things, they can be used for surveillance, however that is already possible in so many other ways. A quadcopter isn't changing much.

Did you miss the several dozen news articles in the past few months about ISIS strapping bombs to drones?

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

On 3/15/2017 at 1:16 PM, Joelbanks5 said:

lol is there a video?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 15/03/2017 at 6:25 PM, Dylanc1500 said:

Go hard or go home I suppose. I wonder if there is actually a shelf life on those. I mean if it was about to be dismantled then you might as well use it. Someone could educate me a little on military stock.

There's a website page that just says they've extended the shelf life. 

But most bullets and whatnot do have shelf life. https://www.army.mil/article/156942/Army_researchers_extend_missile_system_shelf_life

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

All you really need is a 12ga. with Flechette rounds in it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 hours ago, Centurius said:

Did you miss the several dozen news articles in the past few months about ISIS strapping bombs to drones?

$200-$300 drones have limited carrying capacity. They can't lift more then 1 pound off the ground let alone do a extended flyby to hit a known target. Factor in weather, wind, etc. further illustrates the unlikely hood of $200-$300 drones dropping bombs on targets. These news stories are greatly exaggerated agenda topics used for scare tactics to get citizens to agree to bolstered military spending.. If you don't see that then you're being blind to reality.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

2 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

$200-$300 drones have limited carrying capacity. They can't lift more then 1 pound off the ground let alone do a extended flyby to hit a known target. Factor in weather, wind, etc. further illustrates the unlikely hood of $200-$300 drones dropping bombs on targets. These news stories are greatly exaggerated agenda topics used for scare tactics to get citizens to agree to bolstered military spending.. If you don't see that then you're being blind to reality.

You do realize that

A) custom built and modified drones are a thing and can fairly trivially be designed to carry much more weight than off the shelf consumer drones.

B) even with a stock standard drone, 1lb of explosive can cause a *lot* of damage, depending on what kind of explosive it is.

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You do realize that

<snip>

B) even with a stock standard drone, 1lb of explosive can cause a *lot* of damage, depending on what kind of explosive it is.

Ilb of C4 will destroy most large house sized buildings.

This will be useful and better than a patriot missle in some cases.

https://kitup.military.com/2017/03/skynet.html

Capture.JPG

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/16/2017 at 11:06 PM, Centurius said:

I mean sure, if you phrase it as a $3 million missile vs a $200 drone it seems like a waste. If however you count the possible damage said drone could do, the image might look different. Against ISIS we have already seen cheap drones used to kill soldiers, the damage even one drone with a bomb could do against soldiers and equipment could justify the cost. 

That being said, there should be research into a cheaper solution, but things aren't black and white.

Agreed - while yes, using a Patriot Missile is overkill, the value of the drone itself is immaterial - it's about the damage the drone could cause. And I'm not talking about the drone being capable of, say, destroying a city block.

But rather, let's say a drone with 1 pound of C4 explosive decides to try and take out a critical component of a Nuclear Reactor - even if we assume the reactor would still be safe from meltdown, the economic damage from a sudden power outage could be widespread.

Or another example: A drone flies into an airport w/ said explosives, and takes out the cockpit of a fully loaded Airbus passenger jet right before landing or takeoff.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:28 AM, PCMasterDebater said:

See above - 1 pound of explosive can be devastating if used in a tactical manner. Hell, even the risk of assassination of an important US/Allied official is a risk.

On 3/18/2017 at 0:16 PM, PCMasterDebater said:

See above. The risk is not high, but the risk exists.

On 3/18/2017 at 2:33 PM, Sniperfox47 said:

You do realize that

A) custom built and modified drones are a thing and can fairly trivially be designed to carry much more weight than off the shelf consumer drones.

Agreed.

@PCMasterDebater the point is not that we should equip everything with Patriot Missiles against drones, just that in some situations, if other anti-drone measures are not available, you use what you've got.

We SHOULD be developing smaller, highly accurate, and cost effective ways of taking out drones. Sometimes radio jammers aren't the solution. Sometimes you need to physically destroy the drone. We should be developing a weapon that limits the risk to the surroundings that can accomplish this role. One that doesn't cost $3m USD would be nice.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)