Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WMGroomAK

Quadcopter Deterrent

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

At a military symposium, Gen David Perkins stated that a US ally used a $3 million Patriot Missile to take out a $200 Quadcopter.  Understandably, terrorists and what not are using these cheap quadcopters as weapons, however, to put it lightly, this is a case of serious overkill.  Even the general points out that the economics of using these missiles to take out quadcopters is horrendous. Still, have to admit that the quadcopter never saw it's demise coming.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39277940

However, Gen Perkins suggested deploying large surface-to-air missiles as a defence was probably not economically wise.

"I'm not sure that's a good economic exchange ratio," he told an audience at the Association of the United States Army's Global Force symposium in Alabama.

"In fact, if I'm the enemy, I'm thinking, 'Hey, I'm just gonna get on eBay and buy as many of these $300 quadcopters as I can and expend all the Patriot missiles out there'."

EDIT: Techspot Article http://www.techspot.com/news/68534-us-allies-have-used-patriot-missiles-shoot-down.html

In this article they do mention at least some of the techniques people are looking at for drone removal other than overkill...

From focused radio waves and trained eagles to high-powered net launchers, law enforcement, military and security firms around the globe are actively exploring all sorts of ways to deal with rogue consumer drones.

Edited by WMGroomAK
Additional Article

The military is clearly underfunded.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Someone dust off flak cannons from WWII.

Workstation: 9900KF @ 5.0Ghz || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || Gigabyte 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 3600 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 8600K@ 4.9Ghz || Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9  || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad push only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i from Server Storage || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server VM/Plex/HTTPS: E5-2699v4 (22 core!) || Asus X99m WS || GT 630 || Corsair RM650x || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Storage: Pent. G3220 || Z87 Gryphon mATX || || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 3x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives) Corsair RM450 (machine) || CPU watercooled, 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U).

Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

lol is there a video?

I don't think there is a video yet, but I wonder if the missile actually detonated or was it more like a fly on the windshield effect.  

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

I don't think there is a video yet, but I wonder if the missile actually detonated or was it more like a fly on the windshield effect.  

But is there a video of when the general said if he was a terrorist he would do this?

5 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

But is there a video of when the general said if he was a terrorist he would do this?

Here is the video provided in the BBC article.  Starts off at the point where he is talking about the US ally using a Patriot to take out a quadcopter.

Go hard or go home I suppose. I wonder if there is actually a shelf life on those. I mean if it was about to be dismantled then you might as well use it. Someone could educate me a little on military stock.

The US Army never does anything small ... [spoken from experience, we believe that if it is gonna die then it might as well no longer exist]

Overkill? said no US Marine or US Soldier, ever.

Image result for marine sniper 50 cal gif

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

'Terrorists' 

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Quadcopter : " i have information leading to Hillary's arrest , exact carbon copy of backup emails from weiners laptop"

Its beyond me how they still don't know that a simple repurposed radio is enough to jam a drone out of the sky. Before some crybaby say its too dangerous and illegal, well there's something called directional antennas, and its going to be in the hands of national security. 

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I feel like these weapons are far more expensive then they need to be.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 8GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Its beyond me how they still don't know that a simple repurposed radio is enough to jam a drone out of the sky. Before some crybaby say its too dangerous and illegal, well there's something called directional antennas, and its going to be in the hands of national security. 

Watching the video, I was getting the general (pardon any unintentional puns) impression that the General was pushing the issue of multi-dimensional battlefields and that forward commanders need to have more options available to them in these instances.  Basically, the forward commander shouldn't be needing to contact command for Anti-Air support when dealing with a drone and there needs to be more options available.  I think that this is definitely an issue that the military needs to address with drones becoming cheaper and easier to deploy.  Kinda wonder if something like the Active Denial System (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System) could be modified and miniaturized for a more specific targeting to take out a drones electronics...  

8 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I feel like these weapons are far more expensive then they need to be.

Perhaps but hopefully at least at crazy high prices they won't be unreliable.  Not that something needs to be expensive to be good but it tends to be that way more often than not.  

What I want to know is why apparently no one thought to just shoot it with a gun?

I'm no expert but a. 50 caliber rifle would destroy a silly little drone thing easily.  There's expert snipers that have taken out targets up to a couple miles away I believe so if that's possible then shooting a mini-drone thing has to be as well.

A few .50 bullets is a heck of a lot cheaper than $3 million USD for a missile that's for sure.  lol

On 3/15/2017 at 11:06 AM, WMGroomAK said:

At a military symposium, Gen David Perkins stated that a US ally used a $3 million Patriot Missile to take out a $200 Quadcopter.

Oh, some of my LTT buddies and I ranted about this one!  Some memorable quotes:

0a.PNG

0b.PNG

0c.PNG

0d.PNG

0e.PNG

Aaaannddd I probably just triggered all the night theme users.  Sorry! :(

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| #HuaweiSucks | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo |

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

1TB Crucial P1 M.2 NVMe (boot)

2TB Crucial MX500 SATA III (games)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

HyperX Stinger wireless gaming headset

Other tech: Product(RED) Apple iPhone XR 256GB, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Corsair HS70 wireless gaming headset

40 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Watching the video, I was getting the general (pardon any unintentional puns) impression that the General was pushing the issue of multi-dimensional battlefields and that forward commanders need to have more options available to them in these instances.  Basically, the forward commander shouldn't be needing to contact command for Anti-Air support when dealing with a drone and there needs to be more options available.  I think that this is definitely an issue that the military needs to address with drones becoming cheaper and easier to deploy.  Kinda wonder if something like the Active Denial System (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System) could be modified and miniaturized for a more specific targeting to take out a drones electronics...  

China already gets my idea

Yes they sell to civilians too. Get rekt

Their military probs have gone and made a scaled up version meant to jam.... satellites

This reminds me of a saying I've heard in the past, something to the effect of using a rocket launcher or full-auto machine gun (like the IRL version of what the Heavy in TF2 uses) to kill a fly or ant. :o

Saw another thread here on the same topic (that was closed due to it being a repost).  One of the last comments in it had the effect of "$50K could get you a small single-family house" ... well, not where I live.  I'm not really up on current prices, but it seems like not too long ago that you'd be up around $200-300+K for a 2-bedroom, 1-bath, < 800-sq-ft house ... and even higher in some areas like SF Bay, northwest L.A., etc.  (I could stand to be corrected on that though.)