Quadcopter Deterrent

WMGroomAK

At a military symposium, Gen David Perkins stated that a US ally used a $3 million Patriot Missile to take out a $200 Quadcopter.  Understandably, terrorists and what not are using these cheap quadcopters as weapons, however, to put it lightly, this is a case of serious overkill.  Even the general points out that the economics of using these missiles to take out quadcopters is horrendous. Still, have to admit that the quadcopter never saw it's demise coming.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39277940

However, Gen Perkins suggested deploying large surface-to-air missiles as a defence was probably not economically wise.

"I'm not sure that's a good economic exchange ratio," he told an audience at the Association of the United States Army's Global Force symposium in Alabama.

"In fact, if I'm the enemy, I'm thinking, 'Hey, I'm just gonna get on eBay and buy as many of these $300 quadcopters as I can and expend all the Patriot missiles out there'."

EDIT: Techspot Article http://www.techspot.com/news/68534-us-allies-have-used-patriot-missiles-shoot-down.html

In this article they do mention at least some of the techniques people are looking at for drone removal other than overkill...

From focused radio waves and trained eagles to high-powered net launchers, law enforcement, military and security firms around the globe are actively exploring all sorts of ways to deal with rogue consumer drones.

Edited by WMGroomAK
Additional Article

The military is clearly underfunded.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Someone dust off flak cannons from WWII.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

25 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

lol is there a video?

I don't think there is a video yet, but I wonder if the missile actually detonated or was it more like a fly on the windshield effect.  

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

I don't think there is a video yet, but I wonder if the missile actually detonated or was it more like a fly on the windshield effect.  

But is there a video of when the general said if he was a terrorist he would do this?

5 minutes ago, Joelbanks5 said:

But is there a video of when the general said if he was a terrorist he would do this?

Here is the video provided in the BBC article.  Starts off at the point where he is talking about the US ally using a Patriot to take out a quadcopter.

Wow, good use of military spending money there.

Go hard or go home I suppose. I wonder if there is actually a shelf life on those. I mean if it was about to be dismantled then you might as well use it. Someone could educate me a little on military stock.

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

when Patriot missiles are out of stock, they'll switch to tactical nukes

Research the CIM-10 Bomarc. :)

The US Army never does anything small ... [spoken from experience, we believe that if it is gonna die then it might as well no longer exist]

Overkill? said no US Marine or US Soldier, ever.

Image result for marine sniper 50 cal gif

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It's like 40 cents for a 12 gauge 00 Buckshot.  May as well use that for the future for cost effectiveness.

Quadcopter : " i have information leading to Hillary's arrest , exact carbon copy of backup emails from weiners laptop"

Details separate people.

I feel like these weapons are far more expensive then they need to be.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Its beyond me how they still don't know that a simple repurposed radio is enough to jam a drone out of the sky. Before some crybaby say its too dangerous and illegal, well there's something called directional antennas, and its going to be in the hands of national security. 

Watching the video, I was getting the general (pardon any unintentional puns) impression that the General was pushing the issue of multi-dimensional battlefields and that forward commanders need to have more options available to them in these instances.  Basically, the forward commander shouldn't be needing to contact command for Anti-Air support when dealing with a drone and there needs to be more options available.  I think that this is definitely an issue that the military needs to address with drones becoming cheaper and easier to deploy.  Kinda wonder if something like the Active Denial System (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System) could be modified and miniaturized for a more specific targeting to take out a drones electronics...  

8 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I feel like these weapons are far more expensive then they need to be.

Perhaps but hopefully at least at crazy high prices they won't be unreliable.  Not that something needs to be expensive to be good but it tends to be that way more often than not.  

What I want to know is why apparently no one thought to just shoot it with a gun?

I'm no expert but a. 50 caliber rifle would destroy a silly little drone thing easily.  There's expert snipers that have taken out targets up to a couple miles away I believe so if that's possible then shooting a mini-drone thing has to be as well.

A few .50 bullets is a heck of a lot cheaper than $3 million USD for a missile that's for sure.  lol

On 3/15/2017 at 11:06 AM, WMGroomAK said:

At a military symposium, Gen David Perkins stated that a US ally used a $3 million Patriot Missile to take out a $200 Quadcopter.

Oh, some of my LTT buddies and I ranted about this one!  Some memorable quotes:

0a.PNG

0b.PNG

0c.PNG

0d.PNG

0e.PNG

Aaaannddd I probably just triggered all the night theme users.  Sorry! :(

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

This reminds me of a saying I've heard in the past, something to the effect of using a rocket launcher or full-auto machine gun (like the IRL version of what the Heavy in TF2 uses) to kill a fly or ant. :o

Saw another thread here on the same topic (that was closed due to it being a repost).  One of the last comments in it had the effect of "$50K could get you a small single-family house" ... well, not where I live.  I'm not really up on current prices, but it seems like not too long ago that you'd be up around $200-300+K for a 2-bedroom, 1-bath, < 800-sq-ft house ... and even higher in some areas like SF Bay, northwest L.A., etc.  (I could stand to be corrected on that though.)

18 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Its beyond me how they still don't know that a simple repurposed radio is enough to jam a drone out of the sky. Before some crybaby say its too dangerous and illegal, well there's something called directional antennas, and its going to be in the hands of national security. 

Signal jamming? Do you know how dangerous and expensive that is?!?!

Better to use cheap, safe, flying explosives being controlled by Drunkard Jimmy.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I mean sure, if you phrase it as a $3 million missile vs a $200 drone it seems like a waste. If however you count the possible damage said drone could do, the image might look different. Against ISIS we have already seen cheap drones used to kill soldiers, the damage even one drone with a bomb could do against soldiers and equipment could justify the cost. 

That being said, there should be research into a cheaper solution, but things aren't black and white.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

19 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I recall the US army was working on a laser to take down missiles and I also recall they were working on jammers. This looks like a conspiracy to get more missiles deployed under false pretenses 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_