4K 60FPS monitors runs 1080p at ??FPS

ACER PREDATOR XB1 28' 4K 
UHD GAMING LED MONITOR (XB281HK)

The model I want to buy, to be exact.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

It will run 1080p also at 60 Hz.

well, then I have to make a choice damn. 4K or 144fps. what would you go for bro

Just now, hkeatmy said:

well, then I have to make a choice damn. 4K or 144fps. what would you go for bro

1440p 144Hz?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1440p 144hz > 4k 60hz

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Unless you have a powerful enough GPU or GPUs in SLI/Crossfire, I advise against getting a 4K monitor for gaming.  You'd have to scale down the resolution of your GPU can't handle 4K resolution.

Also, the monitor's maximum refresh rate is independent of the resolution.  So a 60hz monitor is 60hz at 4K, 1440 and any other resolution it supports.  Though games will say they are running at FPS that are higher than the monitor's refresh rate depending on the graphics settings.  And I believe this is one of the causes, if not the sole reason, for issues like screen tearing.  This is why people enable features like VSync.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

42 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Unless you have a powerful enough GPU or GPUs in SLI/Crossfire, I advise against getting a 4K monitor for gaming.  You'd have to scale down the resolution of your GPU can't handle 4K resolution.

Also, the monitor's maximum refresh rate is independent of the resolution.  So a 60hz monitor is 60hz at 4K, 1440 and any other resolution it supports.  Though games will say they are running at FPS that are higher than the monitor's refresh rate depending on the graphics settings.  And I believe this is one of the causes, if not the sole reason, for issues like screen tearing.  This is why people enable features like VSync.

if i have features like v sync, how will g sync benefit me? 

Lets say you have a 60 Hz Monitor right now to watch my Links.

V-Sync is not a "Feature". it's a compromise to clear tearing. At the following described Cost, and at teh Cost of increased Input Lag (faster cames might feel sluggish~)

V-Sync synchronises your GPU to the Monitor, which will reduce tearing to 0.

Seen here. http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=smooth&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

Set it to "Demo: Smooth (V-Sync on)".

No problem here.

BUT: On a 60 Hz Monitor, your GPU will have to deliver constant 61+ fps, so you can have even 60 fps.

Once your GPU falls down to like 55 fps, you have a Problem. How do you fit 55 fps, in 60 Hz? Simple Math. You will have 55 normal images, and 5 double images. Which means, 5 out of 60 Images will be shown the double the duration.

Because: The GPU is too slow here, and does NOT have the next Image ready, when the Monitor refreshes itself --> GPU sends the same Image again. This is seen as Stuttering.

How this will look, check here: http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=microstuttering&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

Demo: Microstuttering. Some images are seen doubled, this is a small stutter.

Set it to "Stuttering", and you will see it stronger.  For example, when you are constantly far below 60 fps.

You don't want stuttering? Np, turn V_Sync OFF.

But then you will have Tearing: http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=tearing&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

Which is very noticeable ona  60 Hz Monitor. On 144 hz, it is much much weaker.

TL;DR: V-Sync works gerat, if you can hold more fps, than your Monitor has Hz.

Once you have fluctuating fps with ups and downs, you have a Problem. Either Tearing, OR Stuttering.

Solution: G-Sync / Freesync: This does the exact opposite. It synchronizes your Monitor TO the GPU. Which means, if your GPU delives 47 fps, your Montior will have 47 Hz.

If you can have 90 fps, your Monitor runs at 90 Hz.

1 Refresh Cycle per Image send, that means NO Tearing, and NO Stuttering.

See here: http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

I can confirm, this "Demo" simulates pretty good, how G-Sync will look like, if you have constant changing fps numbers~

On 3/16/2017 at 6:08 AM, Darkseth said:

Lets say you have a 60 Hz Monitor right now to watch my Links.

V-Sync is not a "Feature". it's a compromise to clear tearing. At the following described Cost, and at teh Cost of increased Input Lag (faster cames might feel sluggish~)

V-Sync synchronises your GPU to the Monitor, which will reduce tearing to 0.

Seen here. http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=smooth&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

Set it to "Demo: Smooth (V-Sync on)".

No problem here.

BUT: On a 60 Hz Monitor, your GPU will have to deliver constant 61+ fps, so you can have even 60 fps.

Once your GPU falls down to like 55 fps, you have a Problem. How do you fit 55 fps, in 60 Hz? Simple Math. You will have 55 normal images, and 5 double images. Which means, 5 out of 60 Images will be shown the double the duration.

Because: The GPU is too slow here, and does NOT have the next Image ready, when the Monitor refreshes itself --> GPU sends the same Image again. This is seen as Stuttering.

How this will look, check here: http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=microstuttering&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

Demo: Microstuttering. Some images are seen doubled, this is a small stutter.

Set it to "Stuttering", and you will see it stronger.  For example, when you are constantly far below 60 fps.

You don't want stuttering? Np, turn V_Sync OFF.

But then you will have Tearing: http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=tearing&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

Which is very noticeable ona  60 Hz Monitor. On 144 hz, it is much much weaker.

TL;DR: V-Sync works gerat, if you can hold more fps, than your Monitor has Hz.

Once you have fluctuating fps with ups and downs, you have a Problem. Either Tearing, OR Stuttering.

Solution: G-Sync / Freesync: This does the exact opposite. It synchronizes your Monitor TO the GPU. Which means, if your GPU delives 47 fps, your Montior will have 47 Hz.

If you can have 90 fps, your Monitor runs at 90 Hz.

1 Refresh Cycle per Image send, that means NO Tearing, and NO Stuttering.

See here: http://testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync&foreground=FFFFFF&background=000000&max=12&pps=720

I can confirm, this "Demo" simulates pretty good, how G-Sync will look like, if you have constant changing fps numbers~

not all heroes wear capes. Bro thanks man. seriously thanks for the patience. So i suddenly realize something, I'm not really into the 144fps monitors thing, as I don't see myself benefiting from the higher refresh rates. But then I do find screen tearing annoying, so I guess 4k gsync monitor should be a good choice for me

The cool thing about a gsync monitor is that even if your frames drop below 60 you won't notice.  I was able to play games at 40fps and noticed no stuttering whatsoever.  So you will just need to maintain 40fps or higher.  Anything below that will look pretty crappy.  That being said, 144hz just looks so much nicer IMO.  Going from a 28" 4k gsync monitor to a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor was a big difference for me.  At first I had the 4k gsync with a 1080p 1440hz monitor as a secondary.  After a while I saw the difference the higher refresh rate made and decided to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor and I would never go back.  As for models to choose from, that really depends on your budget.