VESA's Adaptive Sync on GTX 10xx with DP 1.4?

Just now, MaverickNoob said:

It's a religious response because it is a blanket answer that ignores any possibility of a workaround, or possibility of contrary facts. Sorry if I was unclear, in my original post, but I'm looking for hands on/testing info... I don't want to buy a 10xx series just to test this, and was hoping someone would get inspired and try to figure out a workaround or if someone had already tried it they could share there results.

It's not a religious response to say a certain technology won't work on a device that doesn't support it. You would have to write your own GPU driver to get that working, and good luck doing that.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Because if you actually took the time to calmly explain something rather than your responses be in the attitude of  "hur dur ur stupid", I probably would've more receptive and accepting to your replies.

Anyway, I figured it out on my own, yay me.

Except I have these replies above my asshole-ish one explaining what is and what isn't:

36 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Adaptive Sync is a standard, not a physical thing on its own. FreeSync is an Adaptive Sync implementation which is exclusive to AMD video cards.

24 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Yes it is*.

They say it's an open standard even though there are three graphics vendors (if you count Intel). Nobody besides AMD is using it or will use it, even though Intel has said previously that they would implement it, but I doubt it at this point since it's been two years since they've said anything about it.

Where did you see this?

I too like making money off of my own work.

Thanks for shilling a copypasta. I know what FreeSync is, but apparently you don't know what Adaptive Sync is and how it's different from G-Sync.

19 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Like I said, Adaptive Sync is a standard, not an implementation of the technology itself.

Like I said, (implied really) Nvidia will not do it because they have G-Sync.

17 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It's not a rebrand of Adaptive Sync. FreeSync is an implementation of the tech. Read the whole thing.

This is a tired debate and the answer has been given so many times, but they have G-Sync. Unless they figure out a way to implement Adaptive Sync up to their standards, then they will continue tacking on a G-Sync module in certain monitors.

16 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Tested what? To see if FreeSync works with an Nvidia video card? It won't.

13 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

?

FreeSync is an AMD technology. Nvidia does not support it. It doesn't get any more simple than that. If you would like to see for yourself and potentially lose money, be our guest :)

Good thing you somehow figured it out on your own, though. You're welcome.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

The first response to my OP would count as an assholeish one.

Because it should be super obvious why they won't implement AMD FreeSync. ;)

Ok @Kloaked, forgive me for getting excited by the wording "

Other key benefits of DisplayPort Alt Mode include:

• Ability to drive native DisplayPort and DisplayPort Alt Mode displays, as well as HDMI, VGA and DVI displays;
  • Ability to drive multiple displays, using the DisplayPort Multi-Stream protocol through a dock or daisy-chained displays, or for virtual reality (VR) display applications;
  • Support for Adaptive Sync, which provides smoother, tear-free images for gaming and jitter-free video playback, as well as significantly reduces power consumption for static desktop content and low frame rate video"

To me this bit of the compliance spec got me excited that it would be a requirement for "Alt Mode". Whatever... Here's to pipe dreams! :D

Just now, Kloaked said:

Because it should be super obvious why they won't implement AMD FreeSync. ;)

So let me explain the position I had so maybe next time you won't be in this position.

When AMD was lauding around FreeSync, it made it seem like they invented the technology and they submitted their work to VESA who'd adopt it later. And that's the impression they left on a lot of people, including myself. Because you know, AMD loves to play the PR game.

So next time someone makes this mistake, just kindly remind them that AMD piggybacked on the eDP standard to create FreeSync.

Lately I've also had the thought that maybe Microsoft/Game Devs could somehow force it to work with the lower level DX12 API... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: Because it's a protocol...

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

So let me explain the position I had so maybe next time you won't be in this position.

When AMD was lauding around FreeSync, it made it seem like they invented the technology and they submitted their work to VESA who'd adopt it later. And that's the impression they left on a lot of people, including myself. Because you know, AMD loves to play the PR game.

So next time someone makes this mistake, just kindly remind them that AMD piggybacked on the eDP standard to create FreeSync.

The first implementation of FreeSync was in a laptop and they did "invent" that albeit as a slapped together project as a response to G-Sync launching. The actual desktop version of FreeSync utilizes VESA's AdaptiveSync standard, which AMD did not invent since it makes the "FreeSync technology" even possible via DisplayPort 1.2a+

The concept of variable refresh rates has been a thing for much longer than that in laptops, which is how AMD got "FreeSync" working in a laptop so quickly, as it was originally a battery saving feature.