Ryzen 5 coming April 11th, 6c12t and 4c8t options available

captain cactus

Ryzen games like an i5. Those CPUs are priced like an i5. Ryzen 5 will be AMAZING! (For the money of course)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

53 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

which it'll pretty much have to do unless the 1500X/1400 have serious issues.

They will probably perform like an i5 in games and like an i7 in content creation. That's pretty amazing for $200.....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I wouldn't treat those as hard limits, though. Piledriver DDR3 official support is 1866 in 2 dimms, 1600 in 4 dimms, and even 1600 in 2 dimms if the board has 4 slots (¿?). Yet you can run any DDR3 speed, even in 4-dimm configurations. Granted, motherboard manufacturers were advertising higher speeds than the official ones, but so they do now as well. I'm under the impression 2667 is the 1866 of their previous platforms, i.e., the highest number they allow manufacturers to put without adding (OC) next to it :P 

For comparison, Intel is even more conservative, officially stating 1600 in their DDR3 platforms, and 2133 (Skylake) and 2400 (Kaby Lake) DDR4. Yet we know that's not the limit...

I have very extensive knowledge of the Excavator IMC, and believe me, you were not going beyond 2133 with a multi-rank kit with 2DPC. Even in the Hero, I could barely make 2133 work, and that's with me knowing how to bend the tertiary timings to make it work. It's misleading to say "you can run any DDR3 speed" because you most certainly could not. To this day, the only 2400mhz kits that worked on Excavator, were single rank kits on very high end boards. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I hate VAT.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

I have very extensive knowledge of the Excavator IMC, and believe me, you were not going beyond 2133 with a multi-rank kit with 2DPC. Even in the Hero, I could barely make 2133 work, and that's with me knowing how to bend the tertiary timings to make it work. It's misleading to say "you can run any DDR3 speed" because you most certainly could not. To this day, the only 2400mhz kits that worked on Excavator, were single rank kits on very high end boards. 

Well, I certainly don't know about quad 2400 kits, and I'm uncertain about the ranks of the kits I've used. So no, I can't say as a fact that "every kit works".

I do use 4x4 2133 and 2x8 2400 on Piledriver, though.

In any case, my point wasn't about the exact speed you can reach, but rather that what AMD (or, even more, Intel) states as "supported" is usually far from an upper bound.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, I certainly don't know about quad 2400 kits, and I'm uncertain about the ranks of the kits I've used. So no, I can't say as a fact that "every kit works".

I do use 4x4 2133 and 2x8 2400 on Piledriver, though.

In any case, my point wasn't about the exact speed you can reach, but rather that what AMD (or, even more, Intel) states as "supported" is usually far from an upper bound.

I am fully aware of this. I was the one crusading on this very forum after Intel said 1.5v VDIMM would kill Skylake IMC's, and people were so afraid of using DDR3 on Skylake. Fun fact, I have an ASUS Z170 DDR3 board with an i5 6600T in it, running 2133 C9-11-11 DDR3 at 1.65v. It has been running non stop as a NAS for 11 months now, and has not crashed or shown any signs of death. Funny how VDIMM is supplied from the board, to the memory, and doesn't contact the CPU, lol. VCCIO/SA is what kills the IMC, and i've seen bad XMP's drive those volts high enough to do it. It's part of the reason why I ignore XMP profiles, and simply buy binned IC's for my manual overclocks. If a kit can do 3600 C16 on XMP, best believe it can do 3400 C14 with much tighter tertiary timings and out perform it.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I enjoy my Kaby Lake build very much, but with the Ryzen 5's being so cheap, I may be tempted to build a 2nd rig (with Ryzen this time) for video rendering and other multi-core stuff.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

On 3/16/2017 at 9:29 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

They will probably perform like an i5 in games and like an i7 in content creation. That's pretty amazing for $200.....

Well the 4790K has similar IPC to Ryzen because it's a couple generations old, at least that's what I'm banking on.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

14 hours ago, Spork829 said:

Well the 4790K has similar IPC to Ryzen because it's a couple generations old, at least that's what I'm banking on.

The 4790K overclocks higher though.. And it doesn't have the CCX issue...

Digital foundry tested the 1800x with only 6 cores enabled toward the end of this video

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Digital foundry tested the 1800x with only 6 cores enabled toward the end of this video

Good find.  And also not too surprising.  Though I'm also noticing that the Ryzen tests are slowly creeping up in the % difference in most games, but minus a few.  Probably something to do with further Motherboard upgrades.   Though a few games with the i7 6900k at the top will suffer a bit with less cores.

12 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 4790K overclocks higher though.. And it doesn't have the CCX issue...

Very true.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

It seems that I'll be getting the 1500x or even 1600, whenever my next upgrade will be. :D

Finally something that is competing with Intel. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

The Ryzen 5 1600X looks appealing to me. From a coreclock and price point perspective.

If only the CAD could go back up in value compared to the USD...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro