2000ish 4k gaming build

superidot

*updated* So after some thought I decided I want to go with Overclocking and heres what I ended up with

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ngK24C

any tips on making the build better/cheaper?

also any tips on Overclocking is my first time

Why the crap speakers and cheap CPU cooler? Also a 1tb m.2 is a little much? Perhaps a 256GB m.2 and an SSD or HDD. A gtx 1080 should be passable for what you are doing.

no clue what I am looking at when it comes to speakers, I was using some cheap ones for years that broke. I am interest in nice speaker if they arnt worth much more. cheap cooler is because I am a Normie who dosnt want to bother overclocking(and its decently quiet for cheap)

I'd try and go for a GTX 1080ti by lowering m.2 space and also getting an hdd.

*edit* on second thought I wont need a whole tb.I picked that version of the 1080 for the clocks speeds. would the 1080ti be a worthy upgrade?

5 minutes ago, superidot said:

cheap cooler is because I am a Normie who dosnt want to bother overclocking(and its decently quiet for cheap)

If you're not overclocking, then why bother with a Z270 board and K sku CPU?  Otherwise, I would look into a decent pair of headsets over the dedicated speakers...

I got a pair of nice headphones, speakers are for company. From reading I have seen people say for 4k you can cheap out on the cpu but I am willing to put down extra money if it means I can dick around on youtube with 2 games running. Unless your saying theres a stronger cpu or equal cpu for around the same price.

1 minute ago, superidot said:

I got a pair of nice headphones, speakers are for company. From reading I have seen people say for 4k you can cheap out on the cpu but I am willing to put down extra money if it means I can dick around on youtube with 2 games running. Unless your saying theres a stronger cpu or equal cpu for around the same price.

You can get a non-k SKU i7 7700 for about $30.00 cheaper. Same specs, just doesn't overclock.  Similar for Mobo, you can probably get a H270 board for about $30.00 cheaper.  You really are not getting much extra from the Z270 chipset and k-sku i7 besides the ability to overclock.

Even if you don't OC the 7700K will give you a bit more performance and you get a sexy, powerful cooler to keep temps and noise levels low. 

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KnYWwV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KnYWwV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($122.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($99.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Jet) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS Wired Optical Mouse  ($59.99 @ B&H) 
Other: [EVGA FTW3 or ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti around 700-750] ($750.00)
Total: $2012.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-14 19:49 EDT-0400

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Is the m2 worth getting over the regular ssd? also everyone seems to downgrade the ssd to 250, would that be enough for windows and like 10 big games? Also for future updates I was trying to get ram with around 3000 to 3200 that were decently fast because I heard that would be better for 4k. final note if I didnt make it obvious I am willing to pay more than 2000 if it will get me a better 4k experience.

3 minutes ago, superidot said:

Is the m2 worth getting over the regular ssd? also everyone seems to downgrade the ssd to 250, would that be enough for windows and like 10 big games? Also for future updates I was trying to get ram with around 3000 to 3200 that were decently fast because I heard that would be better for 4k. final note if I didnt make it obvious I am willing to pay more than 2000 if it will get me a better 4k experience.

It's a toss up on cost to performance...  M.2 over PCI will perform faster, but also tends to cost more.  Where you see the performance increase is a decrease in your boot times and load screen times, not really an increase in your FPS.  Having the SSD/M.2 drive as your main boot drive/current game drive is probably the most cost effective with the 1 TB drive serving as storage for games you are not currently playing.

Faster RAM can see you getting better performance but it is not an across the board, all scenarios situation. 3200 RAM should be sufficient for your needs in a build like this.  Also, you may want to update your original build plans to include a PSU.  I would look for a decent 650 to 750W PSU for your build in case you decide to go SLI on 1080 Ti's in the future.  

Am about to edit the Op final questions though, So the ti is a worthy investment over the boosted 1080? As for the cpu could anyone describe the small difference between the 7700k and the 7700 un OC'ed.60 seems worth it if it will at the very least buy it some time before becoming outdated. also is the sli upgrade later down the line worth it? I heard a lot of games dont support it.

6 minutes ago, superidot said:

Am about to edit the Op final questions though, So the ti is a worthy investment over the boosted 1080? As for the cpu could anyone describe the small difference between the 7700k and the 7700 un OC'ed.60 seems worth it if it will at the very least buy it some time before becoming outdated. also is the sli upgrade later down the line worth it? I heard a lot of games dont support it.

The main difference, besides the ability to OC the k SKU, are that the 7700 has a base clock of 3.6 Ghz and Turbos to 4.2 Ghz with a 65W TDP where as the 7700k has a base clock of 4.2 Ghz, Turbos to 4.5 Ghz and a 91W TDP.  I will mention that OC-ing with a good cooler is not that hard and you can probably get a 7700k to somewhere around 4.8 to 5 Ghz.

If Im not mistaken the turbo speed is a program I can just adjust right, so the difference is .3 speed? OC-ing means Ill void the warranty doesn't it? I would still do it but I heard Gpu ends being the bottle neck if Im doing 4k, do you think the OC would make a difference? Anyone got anything to counter what I read about sli? also no one enlightened me on better speakers if someone wanted to give that a go (when I said much more I meant like 100 dollars more)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T50 AXE (White) 62.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($51.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founder Edition Video Card  ($709.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($19.45 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG 24UD58-B 23.8" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($299.00 @ B&H) 
Speakers: Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers  ($34.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1988.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-14 20:34 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T50 AXE (White) 62.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($51.99 @ Directron) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founder Edition Video Card  ($709.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($19.45 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG 24UD58-B 23.8" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($299.00 @ B&H) 
Speakers: Logitech Z313 25W 2.1ch Speakers  ($34.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1988.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-14 20:34 EDT-0400

I assume this is my speaker enlightenment? Any comments on how much Ill get out of the ti over the boosted clock speed 1080 for games? everyone seems to agree but is a steep price jump

1 hour ago, superidot said:

I assume this is my speaker enlightenment? Any comments on how much Ill get out of the ti over the boosted clock speed 1080 for games? everyone seems to agree but is a steep price jump

around 25% with 4k

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/30.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Updated op. anything else that would be more cost effective/a worthy upgrade? also went with the 7700k with the cheaper mobo

2 minutes ago, superidot said:

Updated op. anything else that would be more cost effective/a worthy upgrade? also went with the 7700k with the cheaper mobo

Wait a bit for aftermarket 1080 Ti to release

Not a NEX PSU, EVGA G2 instead

You can't overclock on H270 board, get a Z270 instead

Better cooler. 212 Evo is really not a good performer for a 7700k

Do you really need a DVD drive?

Since you spend almost 2k on it I'd get a better case, even cheaper ones like S340 is better

will keep the ti in mind

Updated

your right its worth the extra cash if I change my mind

Enermax ETS-T50 AXE (White) 62.3 CFM CPU Cooler   this one work?

Yeah I was considering not adding one, ill need a boot stick If I dont use a disc drive tho wont I? is there a legit place to buy just the windows product key?

Ehh I might I usually like the large Atx because the other full Atx  ive had stayd pretty cold with just air and enough fans on the case and the one i picked came with a few. any suggestion on a nicer case that is full atx?(if I have to get the fans separately thats fine but I dont want to spend over 200 on the case)

Just now, superidot said:

will keep the ti in mind

Updated

your right its worth the extra cash if I change my mind

Enermax ETS-T50 AXE (White) 62.3 CFM CPU Cooler   this one work?

Yeah I was considering not adding one, ill need a boot stick If I dont use a disc drive tho wont I? is there a legit place to buy just the windows product key?Ehh I might I usually like the large Atx because the other full Atx  ive had staid pretty cold with just air and enough fans on the case and the one i picked came with a few. any suggestion on a nicer case that is full atx?(if I have to get the fans separately thats fine but I dont want to spend over 200 on the case)

Cryorig H7 is nice

Then there is Cryorig H5

Dark Rock 3

Noctua NH-D14

And top of the line Dark Rock Pro 3, Cryorig R1 and Noctua NH-D15

11 minutes ago, superidot said:

cheaper 4k monitor, hynix sl308 over the mx300, get a deepcool dukase v2 or DIYPC D480 over that wierd rosewill case. a raigintek aidos black or cryorig m9i is $10 less and performs the same if you don't wanna oc. also, get a z270 mobo.

get a better psu, even the s12ii 620w would be better than the NEX. 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Cryorig H7 is nice

Then there is Cryorig H5

Dark Rock 3

Noctua NH-D14

And top of the line Dark Rock Pro 3, Cryorig R1 and Noctua NH-D15

the enermax T50 performs only a few degrees over the NH-D15, it's pretty good.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8041/enermax-ets-t50-axe-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

Im looking for a fan that will work for now so if I do decide I want to OC Ill just need a new cooler