Can I use the LTT Logo to showcase it on Windows Boot Screen?

GanstaKingofSA
Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,
37 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Selling something with our logo on it would be a problem. If the use is non-commercial, then everything is bueno :)

To piggyback on this and clarify a bit - any public use of our logo is not bueno. Personal use is fine.

So using the logo locally on your own Windows PC and showing others how to do the same is OK (though it should be made explicitly clear that it is an UNOFFICIAL use, and that we have no official part in anything you're doing), masquerading something as an official LMG property/account/practice/whatever and using the logo to legitimize that is NOT ok.

To simplify, it's fine as long as there is no commercial or personal gain (outside of just personal enjoyment) involved :)

Hello,

I have successfully changed the logo of the Windows Boot Logo on one of my computers and decided to make one but with the LTT Logo. The only problem is that I am worried of getting warning points or get sued. Is it fine for me to showcase it?

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

unless you profit from it i really don't think anyone cares. 

It not for me to sell it is for people to use it and being a fan for Linus and all Linus Fans

Just now, GanstaKingofSA said:

It not for me to sell it is for people to use it and being a fan for Linus and all Linus Fans

lol how is being a fan and putting up logo of someone or something you like/love gets you ban or sued or smt

2 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Hello,

I have successfully changed the logo of the Windows Boot Logo on one of my computers and decided to make one but with the LTT Logo. The only problem is that I am worried of getting warning points or get sued. Is it fine for me to showcase it?

I don't think @LinusTech would mind, once you're not trying to profit or pass yourself off as LMG affiliated. My ROG board replaced the default windows 10 Logo on me and i'm not related in anyway to ROG. 

Yours faithfully

As long as you're not selling PCs with that logo pretending to be LTT then it's fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah, generally the kind of thing covered under fair use, but asking for approval from @LinusSebastian is a good move

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

5 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Yeah, generally the kind of thing covered under fair use, but asking for approval from @LinusSebastian is a good move

That account on the forum is fake(and banned). 

@LinusTech is the legit one. But he doesn't really check his notifications/has them disabled.

You're better off trying to ask him on twitter.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

@LinusSebastian is not Linus. @LinusTech is.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

6 minutes ago, King_of_Oz said:

@LinusSebastian is not Linus. @LinusTech is.

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

That account on the forum is fake(and banned). 

@LinusTech is the legit one. But he doesn't really check his notifications/has them disabled.

You're better off trying to ask him on twitter.

lol my bad

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

@nicklmg is best on these matters. But in general being fan and supporting/showing color isn't against anything. I mean, you buy t-shirts with their logo on but no one thinks you are working for them. I don't think even selling PC with logo spray painted on case would matter. As long as you aren't pretending Linus/Luke build it or something like that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

For All you guys I have made the topic. Since you guys said I am supporting color and its not against it I did the topic

1 hour ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

Hello,

No prob, bob. We love fan art :)

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

@nicklmg is best on these matters. But in general being fan and supporting/showing color isn't against anything. I mean, you buy t-shirts with their logo on but no one thinks you are working for them. I don't think even selling PC with logo spray painted on case would matter. As long as you aren't pretending Linus/Luke build it or something like that.

Selling something with our logo on it would be a problem. If the use is non-commercial, then everything is bueno :)

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

The man himself was summoned. Oh boy.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

47 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Since It is OK with you I do it. Topic is here BTW https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/752321-turn-your-windows-boot-logo-to-the-linustechtips-logo-or-your-own-picture/

Edited by GanstaKingofSA
Thought that I was yelling

37 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

To piggyback on this and clarify a bit - any public use of our logo is not bueno. Personal use is fine.

So using the logo locally on your own Windows PC and showing others how to do the same is OK (though it should be made explicitly clear that it is an UNOFFICIAL use, and that we have no official part in anything you're doing), masquerading something as an official LMG property/account/practice/whatever and using the logo to legitimize that is NOT ok.

To simplify, it's fine as long as there is no commercial or personal gain (outside of just personal enjoyment) involved :)

3 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Ok, I gonna have to update my post about that you guys have no part of this. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 7:41 PM, GanstaKingofSA said:

Hello,

How did you change the logo did you change the bootres.dll file or did you use a 3rd party app?

EDIT: I found your post tutorial thingy

Edited by SpeedyDucky

Comic Sans!

On 3/14/2017 at 4:24 PM, nicklmg said:

NICK spittin straight fire. my common sense would tell me stay away from logo's anyway. 

if Ya don't Own it Don't Use IT!

(Unless for personal of course)

I don't think Linus is going to make a series called Sh#t Subscribers do.

Where they track you down and catch your server room on fire, for changing your windows boot screen to their LOGO 

When you drag everyone out of the office to do an April fools video while no one else is interested in it.  

I don't know who took the L here Linus or All of LMG?

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

On the subject, is there any good LTT desktop wallpapers somewhere?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

On the subject, is there any good LTT desktop wallpapers somewhere?

@XTankSlayerX made some awesome ones a while back - I'm sure they're around somewhere...