Need help with Ryzen upgrade

Go to solution Solved by brob,
3 hours ago, CarlCarl said:

So if I would see an improvement in PLAYERUNKOWN'S Battleground(which I'm most likely going to) a new CPU would be a good option? Btw I can't benchmark PUBG right now. Since its in beta and u can only play it in the weekend.

Yes, but only to a certain point. At some point the gpu will become the limiting factor.

Given that the problem title is in beta, I would suggest living with the current performance (post auto oc) until it is out of beta. Perhaps even past the 1st maintenance release. By that point most of the code should have been cleaned up and some optimization introduced.

Hello again. I am looking to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen since I would like to be able to run newer titles with an optimal CPU. I have the basic knowledge of computers and hardware. But I would still like some help on choosing the Ryzen model, Motherboard and if there is anything else I need or should be aware of. Am I running the wrong specs together? Should I be overclocking? This is also questions I don't have mutch knowledge off. Last time I came to the LinusTechTips forum I was very happy with your help and ended up choosing a suggestion from a very kind user. So now I have a problem again. I have been doing my research but I'm  still confused. Interacting with people relly helps me, to understand much  better. I am using my system for games primarily, but also a little video editing and rendering. I use Illustrator and Photoshop a lot. I run a lot of newer titles like. Battlefield 1, Arma 3, Battlegrounds and Escape From Tarkov in the future. I have recently been playing ALOT of PLAUERUNKOWN'S Battlegrounds and my PC have struggled with it a little. I haven't been able to keep it above 60 FPS all the time. Especially when I'm in big cities, with a lot of other online players. So I thought it would be time to upgrade. Even if I don't "need" an upgrade I still like to have a Ryzen CPU in my system. I am aiming at least 60 FPS in Battlegrounds. I live in Denmark and prices for hardware is pretty high. I have been looking at a Ryzen 1700 or a 1700x, but I'm very unsure. And I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right motherboard, and if I need a different kind of ram. Thanks for helping me out.

Specs:
CPU:                                            Intel Core i7-4770K

GPU:           MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC

RAM:                  Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB

Motherboard:                                        ASUS Z87-K

Drive 1:              Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB KW

Drive 2:                                               1TB Hard drive

PSU:                                                    Corsair HX750

Info:
Budget: I have seen some very expensive motherboards. I'm looking for something that can do the job without any extra unnecessary features. Unless its worth it. If it could be a standard ATX I would like that. So i need what necessary and not mutch more. Unless its worth it of course.

Used for: Gaming at best settings with a solid 60 FPS.

Monitors: Asus monitor with 144hz at 1080p. An old second monitor with 720p and 60hz(Not used for gaming)

Reason: Upgrading because: Can You Run It Tells me, I don't have the optimal CPU in manny never titles. Also because I want to see better performance in Battlegrounds. 

Goal: upgrading my CPU.

Best PC web shop in DK: https://www.computersalg.dk/

Let me know if any more information is needed. Like benchmarks and such. Thanks.

Is the 4770k overclocked?

Honestly i don't think there's much to upgrade cpu wise.

You can go ryzen with a 1700, a decent B250 B350 motherboard and a nice cooler to OC it to 4-ish Ghz 

OR

7700k, Z270 board, nice cooler and OC it to no-idea-how-high-it-goes.

But then again that's not going to do THAT much because you can just OC the 4770k you have and be fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you want the best gaming cpu then you should be looking at an i7-7700K. But your current cpu should be just fine. If it is not overclocked, consider adding a decent cpu cooler and doing so. Your Asus motherboard includes a utility that can give you a basic oc without much work on your part.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

7 minutes ago, CarlCarl said:

Hello again. I am looking to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen since I would like to be able to run newer titles with an optimal CPU.

So you are gaming.... DON'T GET RYZEN!

If you want something with more cores that will be good for gaming, just get a 5820K/6800K. If you want something that performs better in games, get a 7700K. But, if you are gaming, skip Ryzen

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

7 minutes ago, CarlCarl said:

Hello again. I am looking to upgrade my CPU to a Ryzen since I would like to be able to run newer titles with an optimal CPU. I have the basic knowledge of computers and hardware. But I would still like some help on choosing the Ryzen model, Motherboard and if there is anything else I need or should be aware of. Am I running the wrong specs together? Should I be overclocking? This is also questions I don't have mutch knowledge off. Last time I came to the LinusTechTips forum I was very happy with your help and ended up choosing a suggestion from a very kind user. So now I have a problem again. I have been doing my research but I'm  still confused. Interacting with people relly helps me, to understand much  better. I am using my system for games primarily, but also a little video editing and rendering. I use Illustrator and Photoshop a lot. I run a lot of newer titles like. Battlefield 1, Arma 3, Battlegrounds and Escape From Tarkov in the future. I have recently been playing ALOT of PLAUERUNKOWN'S Battlegrounds and my PC have struggled with it a little. I haven't been able to keep it above 60 FPS all the time. Especially when I'm in big cities, with a lot of other online players. So I thought it would be time to upgrade. Even if I don't "need" an upgrade I still like to have a Ryzen CPU in my system. I am aiming at least 60 FPS in Battlegrounds. I live in Denmark and prices for hardware is pretty high. I have been looking at a Ryzen 1700 or a 1700x, but I'm very unsure. And I'm having a lot of trouble finding the right motherboard, and if I need a different kind of ram. Thanks for helping me out.

Specs:
CPU:                                            Intel Core i7-4770K

GPU:           MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC

RAM:                  Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast 16GB

Motherboard:                                        ASUS Z87-K

Drive 1:              Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB KW

Drive 2:                                               1TB Hard drive

PSU:                                                    Corsair HX750

Info:
Budget: I have seen some very expensive motherboards. I'm looking for something that can do the job without any extra unnecessary features. Unless its worth it. If it could be a standard ATX I would like that. So i need what necessary and not mutch more. Unless its worth it of course.

Used for: Gaming at best settings with a solid 60 FPS.

Monitors: Asus monitor with 144hz at 1080p. An old second monitor with 720p and 60hz(Not used for gaming)

Reason: Upgrading because: Can You Run It Tells me, I don't have the optimal CPU in manny never titles. Also because I want to see better performance in Battlegrounds. 

Goal: upgrading my CPU.

Best PC web shop in DK: https://www.computersalg.dk/

Let me know if any more information is needed. Like benchmarks and such. Thanks.

You night try overclocking the 4770 first to see what you can get it stable at...  Otherwise, a CPU upgrade to either a R7 or new i7 will require a new Mobo and new DDR4 RAM.  If it is just gaming, then go with the i7.  If you are doing more content creation or plan to do more content creation, then get the 1700, a decent AIO and OC it to about 3.9 Ghz.

5 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Is the 4770k overclocked?

Honestly i don't think there's much to upgrade cpu wise.

You can go ryzen with a 1700, a decent B250 motherboard and a nice cooler to OC it to 4-ish Ghz 

OR

7700k, Z270 board, nice cooler and OC it to no-idea-how-high-it-goes.

But then again that's not going to do THAT much because you can just OC the 4770k you have and be fine.

I think you thought b350 mobo?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

So you are gaming.... DON'T GET RYZEN!

Considering your avatar, I would think you are an scared fanboi.

Anyways, if you want to use your pc mainly for gaming, and if you think your other programs run just fine... I'd suggest an better CPU for your motherboard if possible. Why? Because if you go Ryzen, you need a new CPU + mobo (and possibly ram). If you only upgrade your CPU, it would be alot cheaper me thinks.

2 minutes ago, begadelavela said:

I think you thought b350 mobo?

Yes, b350, my bad :D

It's also new for me and i haven't seen one in real life but that will change soon :3

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

21 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Considering your avatar, I would think you are an scared fanboi.

Nah, not really. It is BLUE. This is why I have it xD

EDIT: Considering your profile picture, I would think that you are a drug dealer. It doesn't work in this way ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, brob said:

If you want the best gaming cpu then you should be looking at an i7-7700K. But your current cpu should be just fine. If it is not overclocked, consider adding a decent cpu cooler and doing so. Your Asus motherboard includes a utility that can give you a basic oc without much work on your part.

Alright, so I'm going to overclock my  i7-4770K . In the utility its already set to "Asus Optimal"   5677c166db79103bcf9e40fdf78d6539.png (ignore that its set to "Normal"). Is that some of the best overclock i can get from it. Or will a custom overclock make mutch differeance?

1 minute ago, CarlCarl said:

Alright, so I'm going to overclock my  i7-4770K . In the utility its already set to "Asus Optimal"   5677c166db79103bcf9e40fdf78d6539.png (ignore that its set to "Normal"). Is that some of the best overclock i can get from it. Or will a custom overclock make mutch differeance?

A custom oc done by someone who knows what they are doing will almost always be better than an automated setting. If I recall correctly one can initiate automated overclocking from the Windows desktop using the AI Suite III utilities. On the tool bar should be an Auto Tuning button.

8 minutes ago, brob said:

A custom oc done by someone who knows what they are doing will almost always be better than an automated setting. If I recall correctly one can initiate automated overclocking from the Windows desktop using the AI Suite III utilities. On the tool bar should be an Auto Tuning button.

Thanks. I will do that tomorrow. But that wont give me a big difference, will it? Because I'm trying to find a way to be able to run PLAYERUNKOWN'S Battlegrounds better. Will installing it on my SSD help me? What is the best way to help this? What is the best way to check if my components are running as they should? thanks for taking your time to helping me out.

12 minutes ago, CarlCarl said:

Thanks. I will do that tomorrow. But that wont give me a big difference, will it? Because I'm trying to find a way to be able to run PLAYERUNKOWN'S Battlegrounds better. Will installing it on my SSD help me? What is the best way to help this? What is the best way to check if my components are running as they should? thanks for taking your time to helping me out.

Have you seen http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/1135-fps-opti/ and several other similar threads? 

11 minutes ago, brob said:

Have you seen http://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/1135-fps-opti/ and several other similar threads? 

Yes I am aware that the game is not yet optimized very good. I play a lot of alpha/beta games so would like to be able to play these sort of games. Mostly thinking about games with large scale maps and a lot of players.

See what sort of improvement you get from overclocking the cpu. That should give you some idea of it a cpu upgrade is going to make a difference.

Just now, brob said:

See what sort of improvement you get from overclocking the cpu. That should give you some idea of it a cpu upgrade is going to make a difference.

Ill text u back when I get the results and would be very happy if u could help me out.

On 14/3/2017 at 9:48 PM, brob said:

So I first got a fresh install of windows 10 then I tried to overclock from the bios, but Did not work out. It was a little too mutch to handle for me. I gave it a try but ended up with windows not being able to boot. I used this tutorial from LinusTechTips: 

So after failing, I tried  "Auto Tuning"  from the Asus Ai Suite III. I got some pretty impressive results. I'm confused about how many MHz its running at, but here are the results.

7-Zip:

Stock

Stock.png

Auto Tuning

AutoTuning.png

CINABENCH:

Stock

Stock.jpg

Auto Tuning

AutoTuning.jpg

3D Mark:

Stock

Stock.jpg

Auto Tuning

AutoTuning.jpg

Heaven:

Stock

16a308932e379b8e5fbfd8366147ff49.png

Auto Tuning

a2e63af7e14b41d1e659747d1d0a2a38.png

Valley:

Stock

5477f77cce950f5bfec657b49f1bddd8.png

Auto Tuning

8c296b47726ef2810d00059355013c44.png

I also ran some games.

RB6: Siege:

Stock

Stock.jpg

Auto Tuning

AutoTuning.jpg

Arma 3:

Stock

Stock.jpg

Auto Tuning

AutoTuning.jpg

I am quite happy with these results. So this having so mutch increase in FPS does that mean anything? Thanks.

It means that your system is running noticeably faster. If you get the same performance in PLAUERUNKNOWN as before the oc, I would suspect upgrading the cpu would not change that.

48 minutes ago, brob said:

It means that your system is running noticeably faster. If you get the same performance in PLAUERUNKNOWN as before the oc, I would suspect upgrading the cpu would not change that.

So if I would see an improvement in PLAYERUNKOWN'S Battleground(which I'm most likely going to) a new CPU would be a good option? Btw I can't benchmark PUBG right now. Since its in beta and u can only play it in the weekend.

3 hours ago, CarlCarl said:

Yes, but only to a certain point. At some point the gpu will become the limiting factor.

Given that the problem title is in beta, I would suggest living with the current performance (post auto oc) until it is out of beta. Perhaps even past the 1st maintenance release. By that point most of the code should have been cleaned up and some optimization introduced.

11 hours ago, CarlCarl said:

Thank u. I feel like I now have a better understanding of my CPU. Especially after going thru the overclocking. I guess ill wait a little longer before upgrading. Maybe Intel will come with a new lineup at some point with better prices than AMD right now. But with this overclock I think I'm good. And as u said it's going to be better when it's out of beta. The developers also said so. Btw I also just overclocked my GPU, so I'm feeling good about my current setup. I do have a little experience in overclocking GPU's so that went smooth.