All the water gone from my res?

So I just checked on my resivour, and it almost all the way empty.

It was full before...

I set up my loop over a year ago, and its been fine. However, I just moved my radiator about 3 feet lower, so do you think it was just the air escaping from the radiator? Should it be all good, after I refill it?

WP_20170314_12_34_00_Pro.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

refill it and check everywhere for leaks

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

refill it and check everywhere for leaks

Looks dry everywhere, but a bit hard to tell due to my setup (I drew what is behind the cabinet, so you can see)

Grey is radiator, green is res/pump, red/blue is tubing, red being hot water leaving the pc, blue being cold going to pc.

WP_20170311_15_17_06_Pro_LI.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, UMxMarky94 said:

could it of evaporated ? how long has the system be running

I saw it like last week and it was full. I think it was just air leaving the radiator when I moved the radiator down 3 feet, to below the res.

That was a lot of air in your radiator if that was the case.  I'd definitely be checking around for leaks but that amount of water should be noticeable rather quickly. 

I guess refill and keep a very close eye on it

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

That was a lot of air in your radiator if that was the case.  I'd definitely be checking around for leaks but that amount of water should be noticeable rather quickly. 

it is a dual 180mm radiator, pretty big, and was up pretty high.

The res hasn't lowered since filling.

And I haven't seen any water on the ground, and that is a good cup and a half of water that disappeared, so I think it would be noticeable. Nothing outside pc from connections there, haven't checked inside pc, but it still works and isn't dripping water, so I don't think any leaks in there.

20 minutes ago, spwath said:

it is a dual 180mm radiator, pretty big, and was up pretty high.

The res hasn't lowered since filling.

And I haven't seen any water on the ground, and that is a good cup and a half of water that disappeared, so I think it would be noticeable. Nothing outside pc from connections there, haven't checked inside pc, but it still works and isn't dripping water, so I don't think any leaks in there.

well hopefully it was just a really severe bubble from the rad then, should lower your temps a bit if that is that case.  If the rad was above the res before then it could've been emptying into the res when it was off making it seem like it was full, possibly

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

well hopefully it was just a really severe bubble from the rad then, should lower your temps a bit if that is that case.  If the rad was above the res before then it could've been emptying into the res when it was off making it seem like it was full, possibly

Yeah, rad was about the same level/a little above the res.

Just now, spwath said:

Yeah, rad was about the same level/a little above the res.

ports on the bottom side of the rad?  I wouldn't think that it would do that since the res inlet is at the bottom of the res (and below the water line) but I'm always surprised at my limited knowledge of how water acts in a closed loop xD

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

ports on the bottom side of the rad?  I wouldn't think that it would do that since the res inlet is at the bottom of the res (and below the water line) but I'm always surprised at my limited knowledge of how water acts in a closed loop xD

rad horizontal, one port higher, one port lower. I don't know which is the inlet and outlet. As you see in the pic I posted in post #3, its a very unique system

5 minutes ago, spwath said:

rad horizontal, one port higher, one port lower. I don't know which is the inlet and outlet. As you see in the pic I posted in post #3, its a very unique system

very well could've been that, especially if it was inlet on top and outlet on the bottom.  I actually remember your loop from a while back, always like to see something different :D

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:25 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

since refilling at the time of OP, water has decreased by about 1.5 inches... could be more air... IDK.

I mean, there is no puddle of water anywhere. Ill fill again and see if it decreases again.

On 14/03/2017 at 9:59 AM, spwath said:

I saw it like last week and it was full. I think it was just air leaving the radiator when I moved the radiator down 3 feet, to below the res.

This is almost certainly what happened.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:05 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

very well could've been that, especially if it was inlet on top and outlet on the bottom.  I actually remember your loop from a while back, always like to see something different :D

I'm a bit worried. Its almost all gone again... I don't know where its going.

After looking at the image you posted at the top of this thread, it looks like there is some fairly large evaporation occurring.

Are there any heat sources around the cabinet near the reservoir? Like a radiator or something?

If it's next to a heat source that causes that part of the cabinet to become warm, and there is any sort of gap in your reservoir, it's not unlikely for all the water to evaporate. It's a bit of a long shot as if the reservoir is left in it's own compartment without any ventilation you would likely notice the surrounding wood being slightly damp.

I suppose on the note of heat sources it could be evaporating purely based on the temperature of the water from the CPU/GPU. In that case it could be purely down to there being a hole in the reservoir or the top is not securely attached.

Anyway, let us know if there is a heat source around causing that area to become warm. Or if there is any potential that there is a hole or gap in the reservoir. 

2 hours ago, Aloe Vera said:

After looking at the image you posted at the top of this thread, it looks like there is some fairly large evaporation occurring.

Are there any heat sources around the cabinet near the reservoir? Like a radiator or something?

If it's next to a heat source that causes that part of the cabinet to become warm, and there is any sort of gap in your reservoir, it's not unlikely for all the water to evaporate. It's a bit of a long shot as if the reservoir is left in it's own compartment without any ventilation you would likely notice the surrounding wood being slightly damp.

I suppose on the note of heat sources it could be evaporating purely based on the temperature of the water from the CPU/GPU. In that case it could be purely down to there being a hole in the reservoir or the top is not securely attached.

Anyway, let us know if there is a heat source around causing that area to become warm. Or if there is any potential that there is a hole or gap in the reservoir. 

It's pretty securely sealed, not Sur where it would come out  

1 minute ago, spwath said:

It's pretty securely sealed, not Sur where it would come out  

That's okay then, it's good to rule out as many possibilities as possible.

Good luck with finding the solution, I think a thorough inspection of the system will likely show you what's wrong. It must be some sort of leak if it's not evaporation.

Long shot but have you tried laying loads of blue paper towel around and leave it. This would show you any sort of leaks because it reacts if it get wet 

Desktop: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 | i7 6700k @4.7GHz 1.3v | Custom EKWB soft-tubing loop (CPU + GPU) (2x 240mm Alphacool rads)| Zotac GTX 1080 Founder Edition | Asus Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard | Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD | 4TB Seagate HDD | 2TB Seagate HDD | EVGA SuperNova G2 750 | Acer Predator XB271HK | https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xzjRHN

How old is the tubing in the loop? I have seen a lot of water escape through evaporation through the old tubing. Especially with soft tubing like you have.

Edited by jgperson
Grammar

Watercooled Ryzen Hackintosh (Dual Boot w/ Windows 10) in a Modded PowerMac G5 Case:

• CPU: Ryzen 1800x @ 4.1 GHz.
  • Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @ 3000MHz
  • GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX1080Ti Founders Edition
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x with Corsair Pro Sleeved cable kit
  • Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB PCI-E SSD (Windows 10 Boot), Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB (macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Boot), Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB (Games), WD Blue 1 TB HDD
  • DAT CASE: See my build log linked below. But its a Modded PowerMac G5

Work Computer:

• 2016 15" Macbook Pro (Dongles for days)
  • 2.7GHz Core i7
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 455 Graphics Card

Home Server (Power Hungry Bastard):

• HP Proliant DL380 G5
  • 2x Quad Core Xeon E5345 @ 2.33 GHz
  • 32GB DDR2 ECC Memory
  • EVGA GeForce GTX1050Ti

5 hours ago, Aloe Vera said:

That's okay then, it's good to rule out as many possibilities as possible.

Good luck with finding the solution, I think a thorough inspection of the system will likely show you what's wrong. It must be some sort of leak if it's not evaporation.

The thing is, so much water is going away, I feel like it would be noticeable if there was a big puddle somewhere...

4 hours ago, Janner558 said:

Long shot but have you tried laying loads of blue paper towel around and leave it. This would show you any sort of leaks because it reacts if it get wet 

I could, but if there are leaks, they don't seem to be damaging the system.

2 hours ago, jgperson said:

How old is the tubing in the loop? I have seen a lot of water escape through evaporation through the old tubing. Especially with soft tubing like you have.

Not that old, as old as the loop, 1-2 years.

1 hour ago, spwath said:

The thing is, so much water is going away, I feel like it would be noticeable if there was a big puddle somewhere...

I could, but if there are leaks, they don't seem to be damaging the system.

Not that old, as old as the loop, 1-2 years.

I'd probably agree with jgperson, either that or you have a VERY slow leak in a high airflow area like in a rad tube and it's evaporating before it actually drips

edit: I would probably put some colored coolant or at least dye in there so if it is leaking there should be enough residue to tell where it was. 

16 hours ago, Janner558 said:

I think putting down some paper towel would be a good idea, or...

9 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I'd probably agree with jgperson, either that or you have a VERY slow leak in a high airflow area like in a rad tube and it's evaporating before it actually drips

edit: I would probably put some colored coolant or at least dye in there so if it is leaking there should be enough residue to tell where it was. 

Do as 0ld_Chicken said and maybe place down some white paper to make it extra noticeable - but it should be noticeable as there would be residue as 0ld_Chicken also mentioned.

Is any of the loop in high airflow? It may be worth having the computer on with low fan levels for a while, this would reduce evaporation, and the coolant should heat up a little more which would expand the pressure and perhaps make the leak more noticeable - obviously lay down something to absorb the leak before it hits your components.