AMD Ryzen - Games in 1080p can improve more than 35% !

kladzen
Just now, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Well, it's a single die, just with two CCX on it.

Yep. I will fix my post now :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

as I said in the other thread, that's crap - it doesn't say anything

I'm searching something like this:

Reveal hidden contents

AMD_Bulldozer_block_diagram_(8_core_CPU)

^ that's Bulldozer btw

You can't find a diagram like this. Ryzen is too new for this xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Hide contents

^ that's Bulldozer btw

I should have made this more clear, but the article I linked was an article on the infinity fabric, not a source for the picture.  The picture is from GN, I believe.  That article should help you understand what Infinity Fabric is.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

48 minutes ago, zMeul said:

mno!

HPET and power management (high performance) have absolutely nothing in common - nothing

don't understand what HPET does? do a google search - turning HPET off is a very very stupid idea

Actually no it's not. It's only a bad idea on anything older than Windows 8 as a new standard has taken it's place.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Reveal hidden contents

^ that's Bulldozer btw

How about this?  Anandtech's article is very good and detailed.  I'd recommend reading it for architecture things (http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/6).  Does this picture work?

HC28.AMD.Mike Clark.final-page-007_575px.jpg

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

29 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

35% IMPROVEMENT!

(by reinstalling your OS, overclocking, and voiding your warranty!)

idk

3 hours ago, imreloadin said:

What I found the most interesting was this:

<image>

You get an 18.5% increase by turning off HPET with everything else being the same.

By just changing the power plan to High Performance and leaving HPET turned ON you get an increase of 19.8% from the baseline.

Now I know this kind of removes the dead horse that zMeul keeps liking to beat by saying "But AMD helped create HPET!" everywhere but now users can just leave it on and switch their power plan to High Performance and they get more performance. This is with the same RAM speeds and NO overclock. By literally just going into the control panel and switching the power plan you can get an additional 19.8%

You're reading the chart incorrectly.

What it says is this:

Doing an OS reinstall, as well as reinstalling the game, and turning HPET off will give you an increases of 18.5%.

Turning on HPET and changing the plan power plan to high performance gives you an additional 1.07% performance.

You don't get an 18.5% increase by turning off HPET. We have no idea what benefit (if any) that has.

2 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

It's turned off due to a sleep bug more or less. The bug causes Windows timing to slow down which artificially inflates benchmark scores. HPET also can cause a very small hit to performance in certain cases. AMD just said to do that due to the bug and trying to gain every last drop of performance they can.

It's the other way around. It's when you have HPET turned off that the bug happens. If you have HPET on then you will have accurate time and your benchmarks will not be inflated. AMD however, recommended turning it off. AMD recommended reviewers running the system in the configuration where the bug occurs.

13 hours ago, zMeul said:

what is this shit!?!? overclocking increases your performance!?!? who knew .... xD

jeez H christ AMD are getting desperate

and the company that helped create HPET to recommend disabling it .. what the actual fuck!?

not even considering disabling HPET creates it's own problems

OMG BIG FAN, HAI!!!!

14 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Inb4 someone comes in saying its a shit game and isolated case. 

well this is the case when the game ran PREVIOUSLY on a quad core and thus the config file said "4 cores" a fresh install wont see much of an impact at all 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

11 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

every week someone post a similar thread and we began, nothing new to contribute just bashing.

7700k for gaming

ryzen for productivity and streaming. 

f27dbc5c97aecb95fdabe594a67d251616cc8bb2767097d154444b480d233e9c.jpg

And here I am, just showing up to bask in the glory of faster memory actually showing an improvement in gaming. SEE MOM? MY MEMORY OVERCLOCKING ISN'T A WASTE OF TIME.

Too bad Ryzen's IMC is still awful. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

And here I am, just showing up to bask in the glory of faster memory actually showing an improvement in gaming. SEE MOM? MY MEMORY OVERCLOCKING ISN'T A WASTE OF TIME.

Too bad Ryzen's IMC is still awful. 

want a cookie for your effort? ryzen is fine ( hopefully, things keep improving with updates),  it doesn't "suck". buying an 8 core cpu ryzen/6900k just for gaming is not something people should do. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

want a cookie for your effort? ryzen is fine ( hopefully, things keep improving with updates),  it doesn't "suck". buying an 8 core cpu ryzen/6900k just for gaming is not something people should do. 

Where in my post did I say ryzen wasn't fine? Where did I say it sucked? When did I recommend an 8 core CPU for gaming? I think you got the wrong person buddy.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Where in my post did I say ryzen wasn't fine? Where did I say it sucked? When did I recommend an 8 core CPU for gaming? I think you got the wrong person buddy.

i was generalizing the thread as a whole, its a pointless discussion that is going nowhere. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i was generalizing the thread as a whole, its a pointless discussion that is going nowhere. 

Oh. I thought you thought that I thought zen was bad....

Thought.

15 hours ago, zMeul said:

I actually read it, did you?!

Jz99pTC.png

Really? 133.5 is 2.89% increase from 129.75 FPS on the previous  setting. The percentages underneath each FPS is the percentage increased from the previous setting. In the end, 133.5 FPS is 35.55% increase over the initial 98.5 FPS.

Urm, well we'll see more in line performance once Windows gets patch for HPET and power plat or whatever, alongside better BIOS and RAM speeds issue ironed out.

Once all that is so called done then we can only look for difference in future optimizations for games I guess.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Urm, well we'll see more in line performance once Windows gets patch for HPET and power plat or whatever, alongside better BIOS and RAM speeds issue ironed out.

Once all that is so called done then we can only look for difference in future optimizations for games I guess.

A lot of us memory enthusiasts are starting to lose hope that the memory issue can be fixed. The fact that tertiary timings are completely locked out on both the C6H and Taichi (the flagships of the manufacturers that excel in memory overclocking) tells us that either A: they are hiding something, or B: the IMC is so strict, that touching any of the tertiary timings will result in instability. We even went back to Carrizo to see if it's IMC was locked down, and it wasn't. Even on cheaper boards. 

It might be possible that it was an oversight, something they had forgotten to include due to rushing the product out, but it just seems unlikely. The fact that 2DPC is absolutely choking the IMC, scares me. After all, making 2DPC stable is very simple work. Would literally take me seconds to make a 2DPC kit work on a board that isn't validated for it. I've done it before, as have many others. If they are preventing us from doing this, for this long a time period (quoted to be a few months, if ever) then there has to be another underlying issue.

So far, the only way to touch tertiary timings on Ryzen, is to do so via the bus/strap combo's. Even then, it's a total shot in the dark. You can't specifically choose which timings will change, and you cannot chose if they will get tighter, or loosen up. No enthusiast that I know of, has had any luck in this regard. 

I would buy Ryzen and test this, but I was just tasked with overclocking laptop memory on a Kaby Lake 7700HQ laptop. Sadly, this laptop has far more memory options available to us than Ryzen does on it's best boards, lol. 

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

A lot of us memory enthusiasts are starting to lose hope that the memory issue can be fixed.

It depends  on which issue you want to fix, though. Having the degree of memory OC control you seek is one thing, getting the sticks to work at their rated frequencies with one click or two is a different thing. If you pool reviews together, it seems everyone is having trouble to get the Asus boards to work, not managing more than 2933, but on Gigabyte and ASRock baords they got 3000-3200 in at most one BIOS update. Don't ask me which timings accompanied those frequencies, but I'm assuming whatever presets came with the sticks :P

I guess what I'm saying is: I don't know about the IMC characteristics, or whether you'll get anywhere near your target when OCing RAM in AM4. But when it comes to the average consumer just entering bios -> enable xmp -> profit!, I wouldn't be very pessimistic either.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It depends  on which issue you want to fix, though. Having the degree of memory OC control you seek is one thing, getting the sticks to work at their rated frequencies with one click or two is a different thing. If you pool reviews together, it seems everyone is having trouble to get the Asus boards to work, not managing more than 2933, but on Gigabyte and ASRock baords they got 3000-3200 in at most one BIOS update. Don't ask me which timings accompanied those frequencies, but I'm assuming whatever presets came with the sticks :P

I guess what I'm saying is: I don't know about the IMC characteristics, or whether you'll get anywhere near your target when OCing RAM in AM4. But when it comes to the average consumer just entering bios -> enable xmp -> profit!, I wouldn't be very pessimistic either.

I understand that, but it's also deceptive in a way to just look at frequencies as the be all, end all when it comes to "memory speed". A tight 3000 will always beat a loose 3200. In fact, my tight 3600 is currently smashing any 4000 XMP kit on the market. I am not asking AMD to give us faster memory XMP's. I am only asking that they let us tighten the kits we currently have available. As it stands, we are forced to settle with whatever the IMC thinks it needs when loading an XMP. From what I've seen, it's extremely inefficient. In dual-channel, a finely tweaked overclock can achieve 95-98% write efficiency with relative ease. Zen, under these XMP's, have been as bad as 80% write bandwidth efficiency. This is all ignoring the god-awful latency that could be remedied by tRFC, tREFI and some RTL/IO-L tweaking. 

I completely expect XMP profiles to improve with BIOS updates, as specific board vendors tweak their BIOS to better cooperate with the various IC's we have available on these DDR4 kits. I am however, very skeptical that AMD will give us the fine-grain control we get with previous AMD CPU's (and current Intel CPU's) because for all intents and purposes, there shouldn't be any reason as to why they were not included by default. I could very well be wrong, and I certainly hope I am, but it does look fairly grim.

looks like intel better watch their back (i mean polis their stack of gold bars and look at the refection behind them)

3 months from now once all of the issues get sorted out ryzen will be a legit gaming CPU to boot, just in time for the 1600x and 1500X

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

(...)

I'm not denying any of it. I just got the impression that when you talk about RAM issues, and @Doobeedoo talks about RAM issues, you are not necessarily referring to the same issues :P 

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Those going on about HPET, I might disabling this myself and see what happens, as its currently enabled in my rig (4790K+GTX 970+16GB DDR3 1333):

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/do-you-have-hpet-enabled-or-disabled.2362109/

Got mine disabled since 2015, still waiting for something to blow up.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 minutes ago, juri-han said:

looks like intel better watch their back (i mean polis their stack of gold bars and look at the refection behind them)

3 months from now once all of the issues get sorted out ryzen will be a legit gaming CPU to boot, just in time for the 1600x and 1500X

You came to this conclusion after seeing a positive result in just one title, using tweaks that should be considered industry standard (aside from the HPET part)?

I don't know of a single friend or family member that uses the same exact OS after swapping platforms. They are also very aware of memory's impact on gaming performance (Mostly because I never shut up about it. If you people think I am bad about harping on this on the forums, meet me in real life, lol) and overclocking tends to show a positive improvement, even if it's not always a linear scale. 

I would wait for more titles to benefit from these changes before calling it concrete. 

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Really? 133.5 is 2.89% increase from 129.75 FPS on the previous  setting. The percentages underneath each FPS is the percentage increased from the previous setting. In the end, 133.5 FPS is 35.55% increase over the initial 98.5 FPS.

that was not I was refering to, but please . be free to ramble