AMD Ryzen - Games in 1080p can improve more than 35% !

kladzen

Okay.. back at it again with some ryzen news... yet again i was looking into ryzen overclocking videos.. when i came across this from amd's own site!

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/14/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

Basicly it's about how to optimize your build.. but also states some of the issues that will be fixed with patches down the road.. However the interesting part of this was the game optimization!

The game tested was "F1" racing game and how correct optimization is important.. So the game creates a file explaining what hardware the computer has, cpu/threads and so on.. this gets sync via steam cloud and re-synced to another computer if you reinstall the game.. Now the issue is if you have installed this on a 4core/4t CPU in the first place.. the game on a ryzen build will not notice its a 8c/16t cpu!... but rather the old 4C/4T due to the resync gamefiles... If fixing the resync game files (etc deleting them) the game then thinks its a 16 phycical core cpu... However this can also be fixed.. as this is a 8C/16T cpu.. not a 16 core cpu :) Now manually editing the game file to correctly look at a 8C/16T CPU the game gains even more performance..

a wooping 35.53% more performance in 1080P gaming!  From 98.5 fps to 133.5 FPS - Now this just shows how important game optimization is... F1 is not the only game saving files about hardware setup, alot of games do! So getting game optimization is VERY important! And just shows that the "1080p gaming" issues might not even be relevant when game developers fix their games!

pastedImage_92.png

nice find, id like to see it verified by someone other than AMD though

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

brace yourselves, a LTT flame war is coming 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'd be more concerned with the performance improvements going from the 16 core recognition to the 8c/16t recognition by the game as that's the most likely senerio for someone who is building a Ryzen build or even benchmarking. 

That sounds like really shitty coding on the developers side.

Inb4 zmeul bashes the thread, OP and/or AMD in general 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

12 minutes ago, tlink said:

That sounds like really shitty coding on the developers side.

So devs are to build games for the future hardware that is not available to them? 

Anyways, give Ryzen some time to mature as there might be some nice surprises.

Just now, stconquest said:

So devs are to build games for the future hardware that is not available to them? 

Anyways, give Ryzen some time to mature, there might be some nice surprises.

this isn't isolated to ryzen, devs know people use cloud backup and such, they should write hardwaredetection with that in mind. I don't blame them for the logical cores vs physical cores problem but this hardware detection is just broken via steam.

"Reused OS Install"
That's a big no no you don't wan't to use the same OS install across different architectures as there may be driver issues. This doesn't really isolate whether it's the games fault or the OS's fault.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

7 minutes ago, tlink said:

this isn't isolated to ryzen, devs know people use cloud backup and such, they should write hardwaredetection with that in mind. I don't blame them for the logical cores vs physical cores problem but this hardware detection is just broken via steam.

I figured the software was having an issue detecting that half of the threads were "virtual" because it was not developed for AMD's SMT feature.  Does Intel have this same issue with HT?

I know the storing of the incidental four core CPU should change if the CPU were to change, I 100% agree with you on that.

what is this shit!?!? overclocking increases your performance!?!? who knew .... xD

jeez H christ AMD are getting desperate

and the company that helped create HPET to recommend disabling it .. what the actual fuck!?

not even considering disabling HPET creates it's own problems

More cores is a step in a good direction as long as people utilize it, heres hoping.

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what is this shit!?!? overclocking increases your performance!?!? who knew .... xD

jeez H christ AMD are getting desperate

Did you even read it? 

20 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Inb4 zmeul bashes the thread, OP and/or AMD in general 

Hilariously relevant :P

5 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Did you even read it?

I actually read it, did you?!

Jz99pTC.png

next thing you're gonna tell me is that all cores OC doesn't mean all cores overclocked :dry:

Overclocking memory will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even if such overclocking is enabled via AMD hardware and/or software.

Well this is a nice challenge for LMG, take what AMD did and do the same thing and see how the results are.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

11 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Did you even read it? 

Clearly not ;)

Anyway the only problem with this is it is rather likely most other games do not do hardware detection in this way, which is not at all a good way to do it so the improvement is currently isolated to this one game. Also looking at the numbers it's actually a 19.6% improvement between reusing an OS install (balanced power plan) and game install versus a clean install of both (high performance power plan), overclocking the CPU is extra on top of that but isn't really representative of the actual point.

The power plan difference also throws off all the numbers too so yea... bad testing methodology.

Also how many reviewers used existing OS install versus clean install, I have no idea but we would hope all used clean installs due to the new architecture. Going with the clean install assumption all the reviews should have accurate performance results so nothing is going to change there, games that implement similar hardware profiling should be retested with clean installs and new settings.

I'm more surprised they managed to get a Windows to still work from such a major platform switch (I can understand same mobo, different CPU, but different brand is really hard to see working well). I'd hope anyone reasonable would realize not clean installing windows is a bad idea.

I'm still not convinced that some games when installed are hard set in stone to that processor layout. It would be a programming fail if that were the case (But by the recent trend of some games, that wouldn't surprise me...).

So in total the real gain is 1% (Assuming clean install to HPET On / High Perf plan)...I don't count overclocking (enabling higher speed ram / CPU overclock) as a optimization issue since overclocking boosts everything, regardless of platform.

Also, curious, what if you set the game to be for 8 cores and put it on a 7700K (Go from Ryzen to 7700K)? Would it cause slow downs?

And what if you had a game installed on a 7700K (according to AMD, 4C / 4T) and also moved it over to something like a 6900K? Would it see the same slow down?

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Clearly not ;)

Anyway the only problem with this is it is rather likely most other games do not do hardware detection in this way, which is not at all a good way to do it so the improvement is currently isolated to this one game. Also looking at the numbers it's actually a 19.6% improvement between reusing an OS install (balanced power plan) and game install versus a clean install of both (high performance power plan), overclocking the CPU is extra on top of that but isn't really representative of the actual point.

The power plan difference also throws off all the numbers too so yea... bad testing methodology.

Also how many reviewers used existing OS install versus clean install, I have no idea but we would hope all used clean installs due to the new architecture. Going with the clean install assumption all the reviews should have accurate performance results so nothing is going to change there, games that implement similar hardware profiling should be retested with clean installs and new settings.

I think that many reviewers keep their games on dedicated SSD and just switch it between PCs.

Imagine how much more time it would take to benchmark everything if they had to do a clean install of every single game on every single system.

And I agree with this game being in minority of games that actually benefit from this.

9 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I'm still not convinced that some games when installed are hard set in stone to that processor layout. It would be a programming fail if that were the case (But by the recent trend of some games, that wouldn't surprise me...).

it's quite common for games / software to create a settings file based on the hardware it discovers

it's the same idea behind why you should reinstall Windows if you switch platform

Cherry pick, cherry pick, cherry pick. 

Love AMD's marketing team

idk

Just now, zMeul said:

it's quite common for games / software to create a settings file based on the hardware it discovers

it's the same idea behind why you should reinstall Windows if you switch platform

Oh, very interesting. (I'm not much of a gamer so I haven't noticed).

I guess I still have a ways to go on learning programming then.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Oh, very interesting. (I'm not much of a gamer so I haven't noticed).

I guess I still have a ways to go on learning programming then.

even when changing video cards trough generations it's best to delete all game files since it's most likely the shaders will remain compiled for the old card

39 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I actually read it, did you?!

Read the same thing you just showed to me again ;)

pastedImage_92.png 

Maybe I'll circle it if you can't pick out

54 minutes ago, zMeul said:

5efiG6r.png?1

1 hour ago, kladzen said:

Basicly it's about how to optimize your build.

DJMNIDX.png?1

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

please do

k.