Any tips or tricks for first time cable management?

Amateur Gamer

Hi i'd like to cable manage my pc because i just threw the cables in the back and kinda did some management but it's far from good.

So before i begin to try and maybe regret it really badly i'd like to know if there are things that i should know before doing this.

This is the pc i put together:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F4t3BP

Since its not a Tempered Glass case, as long as all the slack of the cabling is hidden and routed properly, you should be good.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Since its not a Tempered Glass case, as long as all the slack of the cabling is hidden and routed properly, you should be good.

Well yeah but i'm an idiot and i love wasting my own time with stuff like this.

I don't know what's wrong with me but when i do something i always want to do it perfectly.

Stuff like cleaning is the same... When i start to clean a room it usually turns into cleaning the entire house :')

What happens out of site is more personal preference really... If you are happy with what is done with the cables out of site from view, then that is when you know you did it well. Try and group them up as best you can and put them in a linear fashion as best you can without blocking your back panel from being able to be put back on. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

What happens out of site is more personal preference really... If you are happy with what is done with the cables out of site from view, then that is when you know you did it well. Try and group them up as best you can and put them in a linear fashion as best you can without blocking your back panel from being able to be put back on. 

I'll try my best :) 

The biggest problems are these (heat sink?) things on the cables.

They are kinda annoying because i can't bend them.

Or at least i don't think so... i'd rather not try.

With a modern aftemarket case it isn't really important. Group your cables as they come out of the components. And route them behind the backplane. A modern case has enough room to sort it out where no one can see it.

Personally I prefer cable routing that goes either vertical or horizontal, but that's a personal preference ( I use the power cables on my 980 to support the weight of the graphics card.)

Cablemod is several shades of awesome for this. I personally prefer complete sets of cables in modular systems, just because I don't want to deal with extensions. I figure this is your choice though. I like pretty things.

I'd say the biggest concern for me when doing cable management is making sure they are secure and out of the way of any fans as its quite annoying to have to open up the computer case to fix something like that. 

Make sure you have a stock of cable ties, twist ties, and velcro straps.

I route each cable one by one then group then together with straps or ties.

It turned out not too bad but this flat cabled front audio is really annoying.

It's in the way of everything but i could't do much about it.

Here's a pic of it (poor quality though)

IMG_20170314_095338.jpg

Thanks for the post. The advice are really helpful and I will surely use this for gathering the cable running out and surely first I will get the cable ties.