Western Digital has a new PCI-E SSD which is sure to dissapoint some

AlTech

Western Digital, the company behind HDDs and more recently SSDs, have produced yet another SSD and it appears they haven't had much better luck.

This uses a Marvell controller combined with TLC 3D Nand connected to a PCB with a connection to PCI-E 3.0 x4 Interface.

And yet despite this, they've managed to achieve 2000MB/s Read speed and either 700MB/s or 800MB/s write speed.

This isn't terrible performance but I sure as hell expected a little better in terms of write performance.

pci-e ssd.PNG

Not the most solid SSD ever. The price is a little high but still acceptable.

It's being released today/yesterday. IDEK. Timezones are annoying.

Western Digital and SanDisk are relatively late in bringing a consumer NVMe SSD to market. They're clearly intending for the WD Black SSD to be a fairly mainstream product by using TLC NAND and pricing it below high-end SATA SSDs. In the SATA space SanDisk has made very effective use of their planar TLC and the SanDisk X400 and WD Blue are the best in their class. Having taken their time developing the WD Black, we expect another solid performer. However, time is running out for planar TLC the WD Black may turn out to be a short-lived product before being replaced by a successor with 3D NAND. All four major NAND manufacturers plan to ship 64+ layer 3D NAND this year with TLC parts up to 512Gb, and if things go according to plan for at least two or three of them we should see the NAND shortage start to fade and prices and capacities improv

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11174/the-western-digital-black-pcie-ssd-512gb-review

Edited by AluminiumTech

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I guess even premium categories have to have budget options?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i'm still waiting for seagate to release a pcie ssd now. still would never use this, unless there's no seagate equivalent.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It's TLC, what did you expect :D.

Anyhow, it's still pretty decent. Beats out the 600p which is only a bit cheaper. Though the 960 evo is still a better buy.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Do not want.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Not bad for SSSF (super super small form factor) builds, plus $109 for 256gb and dem speeds isn't bad.

I can buy some fairly decent Sata SSDs for like half the price. This price for PCI-E SSDs is still too high.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

PCIE SSD is so much faster than the SATA 3 ones... Aside from video editing professionals, who will benefit from this kind of speed?? Who needs this kind of speed? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

It has its place in the market.  I needed a drive for a cheap computer I am putting in my garage to keep all my car factory service manuals saved on and some music for when I am working out there and I moved my old sata ssd to it and bought a 600p for my current system.  I got it on sale so it was fairly cheap.  I didnt have 950 money, and the 960 evo's have a horrible failure rate.  If this drive can outperform the 600p at roughly the same price with good reliability then it is a better choice than a cheap sata drive.  I paid basically the same price for my 250GB 600p as a 240GB sandisk plus drive (which I have in another computer as well) and the 600p is much much faster than the sandisk. 

35 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

PCIE SSD is so much faster than the SATA 3 ones... Aside from video editing professionals, who will benefit from this kind of speed?? Who needs this kind of speed? 

One use case that I can think of is getting to the hero selection menu in overwatch faster than my team :ph34r:

1 minute ago, JoseGuya said:

One use case that I can think of is getting to the hero selection menu in overwatch faster than my team :ph34r:

lmao. xD 

Or the infamous insta lock in in league of legends... "mid or I will feed."

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

It uses planar tlc nand whereas others use 3d mlc nand.

So it won't perform on par....

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

If it ever goes on sale, it might not be a bad buy, but at its current price, I'd rather wait.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

i'm still waiting for seagate to release a pcie ssd now. still would never use this, unless there's no seagate equivalent.

Seagate has a PCIe M.2 SSD already, ST800KN0021. Sure it's not cheap but it exists, a consumer variant should be coming at some point surely.

http://www.seagate.com/au/en/enterprise-storage/solid-state-drives/nytro-xf1440-xm1440-ssds/

26 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Waiting for WD VelociRaptor PCIe SSD ;)

The old one had a see through window. The new one better have one too and RGB!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

43 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Seagate has a PCIe M.2 SSD already, ST800KN0021. Sure it's not cheap but it exists, a consumer variant should be coming at some point surely.

http://www.seagate.com/au/en/enterprise-storage/solid-state-drives/nytro-xf1440-xm1440-ssds/

Is that a case of someone else building it just so Seagate can slap their name on it? Or do they actually own manufacturing?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Why can't built in encryption just be standard instead of the exception? If you can use it, you should use it.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

27 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is that a case of someone else building it just so Seagate can slap their name on it? Or do they actually own manufacturing?

I think it's Micron, Seagate and SK Hynix are also considering a partnership too.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I can buy some fairly decent Sata SSDs for like half the price. This price for PCI-E SSDs is still too high.

Mfw you compare prices between Sata ssd's with a quarter of the read performance to a really good budget pci-e ssd

4f9.jpg

10 hours ago, mawv said:

Mfw you compare prices between Sata ssd's with a quarter of the read performance to a really good budget pci-e ssd

Yeah to be honest, even if this isn't the most amazing product among other PCIe NVMe SSDs, it's still good - great compared to SATA - and honestly way cheaper than I expected.

$109 is less than what I paid for my 250GB 850 EVO shortly after it came out.

So at nearly 4 times the read speed, I'd say this is in no way disappointing.

@AluminiumTech 

I'm confused, you say this WD Black SSD uses 3D NAND but the quote you show implies it doesn't use 3D NAND.  

So which is it?

Any guess if this will be able to sustain the speeds it's rated for?    

This is looks like it could be a passable PCIE SSD but it wouldn't be as worth using if it can't sustain the speeds WD is claiming it can reach like the issue Intel's 600p has.  

I had bought a 600p but returned it after it was pointed out to me that it can't sustain decent speeds so it has bursts of higher performance rather than consistently decent speed.

Yeah, for PCI-e SSD not some speeds, also not impressive IOPS for it too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Considering MyDigitalSSD offers much faster performance all around, is more durable (MLC) and has a much better endurance rating (while maintaining the same 5yr warranty), the title of this thread is indeed right. I am some, and I am disappointed. 

The SSD I am referring to: https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-Express-PCIe-480GB/dp/B01M4OO1FT?th=1

They will be coming out with a 1TB option later on this year, with 1400TBW endurance. Can't wait to torture one of those. Be warned though, they get pretty hot. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.