Radiator Placement and Impact on Airflow - Question

AsSiMiLaTeD

So I'm struggling a little on nailing down an approach for case cooling and have a general question I was hoping you guys could address.  I'm wanting to overclock a bit so am going with a 280mm AIO solution for the CPU which has me looking at the three following ideas for case and component cooling:

Option A - What I'd call a standard cooling setup with intake fans in the front, AIO radiator with exhaust fans up top, and the typical single exhaust fan in the rear.

Option B - Put the AIO up in the front with fans as intake, put two exhaust fans up top and keep the rear exhaust fan

Option C - Put the AIO up in the front with fans as intake, no fans up top, and keep the rear exhaust fan

Based on my limited understanding of airflow, my assumption is that Option A would provide the best overall cooling followed by B followed by C.  The problem with Option A is it limits my choice of components because a lot of the options I'm looking at have limited support for a 280 radiator up top especially when you start looking at taller RAM options...I also don't like this option as much from a cosmetic standpoint because the radiator covers up some of the motherboard.  With option B I get as many fans moving air but a) I'd be pulling warm air into the case thru the AIO radiator so the concern there is warming up my GPU and other components and b) the airflow from those intake fans would be restricted given the radiator obstructing airflow.  With option C I have the disadvantages of B plus an added disadvantage of not having as many fans moving air, but I'm also familiar with the concept of positive airflow and know that it's possible to have too many fans.  With options B and C I could run a push pull config to help mitigate the limited airflow issue but not sure how much that will help.

So I think I've got a decent grasp on things in theory, what I'm missing is the real world experience, and hoping you guys can help.  If all these options are within a couple degrees in performance then I won't let that factor in, but in this case I know what I don't know and need some input.

Does anyone have some real world experience with the options above?  What are your thoughts on HOW MUCH difference I'd see? 

In the system in my signature, under full load, water temps do not exceed 40*C, CPU temps do not exceed 65*C, and GPU temps don't exceed 80*C. all are safe temps

I have option B.

no such thing as too many fans. air will find a way out, usually through the gaping holes in the rear of the chassis.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I would put the aio in the front as an intake, and exhaust fans on top. Might leave rear fan out to have neutral-ish air pressure. It makes the gpu run a bit hotter but the cpu stays cooler.

i'd say *if you can fit it properly* (some cases are bigger than aio's take into account with tubing), put the aio in the front as intake, and have a *single* rear exhaust fan, balancing the full thing to be positive pressure.

air temperature doesnt really get impacted enough by a radiator on intake for it to impact temperatures in the rest of your system. even just the difference between a cold or hot day would be significantly more of a difference.

2 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

I would put the aio in the front as an intake, and exhaust fans on top. Might leave rear fan out to have neutral-ish air pressure. It makes the gpu run a bit hotter but the cpu stays cooler.

i'd suggest to optimize towards the positive pressure side, because fan filters increase in resistance as they clog up, essentially you could see the amount of positive pressure you optimize for as a "buffer" before you need to clean your fan filter.

I'm grabbing an i7 7700K with an Asus Maximus IX and Dominator Platinum RAM.  I'm looking at the eCGA CLC or Corsair H115i (I know the NZXT is supposed to be the best but the other two are close and I have great experiences with those two companies).  I have not settled on a case or even form factor yet as whichever option above I choose will factor in to that decision.

6 minutes ago, AsSiMiLaTeD said:

I'm grabbing an i7 7700K with an Asus Maximus IX and Dominator Platinum RAM.  I'm looking at the eCGA CLC or Corsair H115i (I know the NZXT is supposed to be the best but the other two are close and I have great experiences with those two companies).  I have not settled on a case or even form factor yet as whichever option above I choose will factor in to that decision.

well find a case first, then figure out a cooling solution.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

The trick with choosing a case first is not every case will works with whatever options I choose.  For example, I'm leaning towards Option B and that unfortunately rules out the Define R5 and Define S because neither of those have a dust filter on top, and even those are exhaust fans there is still venting around those those which would make it very easy for dust to get in the case...whereas the Define C would be a perfect fit for Option B with the included dust filter on top.

8 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well find a case first, then figure out a cooling solution.

Wow, thanks for the super help and quick responses guys, that video was one of the most useful things I've ever found on YouTube.  I'm still a bit torn between Options B and C but can at least rule out A at this point.

12 hours ago, AsSiMiLaTeD said:

The trick with choosing a case first is not every case will works with whatever options I choose.  For example, I'm leaning towards Option B and that unfortunately rules out the Define R5 and Define S because neither of those have a dust filter on top, and even those are exhaust fans there is still venting around those those which would make it very easy for dust to get in the case...whereas the Define C would be a perfect fit for Option B with the included dust filter on top.

The holes around the fan don't make much of a difference in terms of dust if you have positive airflow. 

Two top exhausts is seem excessive though--the front fan wouldn't do much and might instead disrupt the air intake.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've decided to go with the 280mm rad up front and a single larger 140mm exhaust fan, now that I have my criteria I can narrow down my case options...currently debating between the more practical Define S, Corsair 160X, and the Evolv ATX (non TG)

7 hours ago, AsSiMiLaTeD said:

I've decided to go with the 280mm rad up front and a single larger 140mm exhaust fan, now that I have my criteria I can narrow down my case options...currently debating between the more practical Define S, Corsair 160X, and the Evolv ATX (non TG)

Any reason you're not looking at the Define C? For the most part, it seems to be a better case than the Define S unless you need all the fan mounting options.

I'd be using a Define C is not for lack of space at the bottom for my custom hdd foam molds. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm actually leaning towards the Corsair 460X at this point, I know the Fractal is a more practical choice but I like the look of the Corsair and it'll work with my cooling layout.

This video seems right up your alley. :)

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE