New chassis, or opt for higher specification fans?

EnergyEclipse

Hi!

I apologise sincerely for the vast amount posts I have done quite recently, although I am attempting to do my research heavily now.

So, my question(s) is:

Should I focus on purchasing fans of a higher specification, most likely CFM/Static Air Pressure ratings as acoustics are as of now not an issue, to (I shall keep things simplistic.) 'improve' upon the airflow being delivered within my current chassis, a Kolink Refractor? I will have a budget of £120 for this if this option is preferred by the community.

Or, secondary option:

Purchase of a Thermaltake Core X71 chassis, allowing for future expandability for a fully high specification custom liquid cooling loop if I so decide to make one (So future proofing potential options.), but not leave the budget to maximise potential of cooling with the fans I select (I may not be able to transfer cases for a few weeks as I save up for the fans for it.)

For either option, why is this so? Why is it you believe I should do this? Any answers are appreciated nether the less, so please do not get into full scale arguments! :D

I know this is hypothetical as of now, but it is a question I wished to ask just to help me more sure from the multi opinions of multiple people, rather than just my single thought on the matter as I certainly am not amongst the highest enthusiast knowledge.

Thank you in advance! 

System Specifications:

• CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-4790 @ 4.0ghz
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H (rev.1.0)
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
  • GPU
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti FTW Edition
  • Case
    Kolink Refractor
  • PSU
    Corsair RM1000x
  • Cooling
    CPU Cooler: DeepCool Captain 120EX All-in-One liquid CPU Cooler.

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Changing cases is not going to do that much in terms of "air flow" if you want to improve airflow in your case get better fans and remove one or both (if you can) of the drive bays.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

Changing cases is not going to do that much in terms of "air flow" if you want to improve airflow in your case get better fans and remove one or both (if you can) of the drive bays.

Hmmmm. Okay. Thank you! I will consider that greatly. The current drive cages are riveted for both the top, as well as bottom HD Cages, so another reason I should probably have put. Thank you though! 

5 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Hmmmm. Okay. Thank you! I will consider that greatly. The current drive cages are riveted for both the top, as well as bottom HD Cages, so another reason I should probably have put. Thank you though! 

in which case it might be worth changing so you have the option. I have one hard drive baya remove on my switch 810

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Changing a case or swapping fans can make a difference. Which is more significant depends on the situation. 

List your specs and your temps. 

Please stop making multiple threads for the same discussion on what to do about your cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Changing a case or swapping fans can make a difference. Which is more significant depends on the situation. 

List your specs and your temps. 

Please stop making multiple threads for the same discussion on what to do about your cooling.

WoodenMarker for goodness sake! Please sir, let my questions be on this sub forum.

Please, this is not a repeated thread! In which thread does this resemble or feature relevance intentionally towards?

I have created multiple threads in order to see different perspective opinions on certain various ideas/thoughts in which I may have, mostly the entire point of a forum in the first situations unless indicated otherwise by a senior staff member, such as Linus Sebastian or Luke ect. I see no relevance top any of my threads, purely asking a question in which I wish to receive just any help in or opinions. Not complaints by you. Also you have now twice asked questions on things in which I clearly have stated. You asked on another thread if noise was an issue, despite me clearly stating it was not and an opinion sensible noise output, being at maximum 50db for a 120mm fan in my opinion.

You have also now aksed my system specifications, something I have placed on my account's description...And you have no doubt checked it being a Moderator...

Anyhow, @WoodenMarker, my current temperatures remain quite acceptable on the CPU's side, peaking at only 40oC upon a gaming load, according to NZXT's CAM software.

On the other hand sits my GPU. Yep, I do understand that it is amongst one of the highest clocked GPU's EVGA (EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti FTW Edition (ACX 2.0) has to offer to the general consumer, but does sometimes reach around 70oC according to EVGA PrecisionX 16 on idle...yes, idle. Which really concerns me as even though that is perfectly safe, I would only have imagined that was concerning as an idle temperature, with ambient unknown but certainly not scorching hot.

Thank you though! :D

7 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

WoodenMarker for goodness sake! Please sir, let my questions be on this sub forum.

Please, this is not a repeated thread! In which thread does this resemble or feature relevance intentionally towards?

I have created multiple threads in order to see different perspective opinions on certain various ideas/thoughts in which I may have, mostly the entire point of a forum in the first situations unless indicated otherwise by a senior staff member, such as Linus Sebastian or Luke ect. I see no relevance top any of my threads, purely asking a question in which I wish to receive just any help in or opinions. Not complaints by you. Also you have now twice asked questions on things in which I clearly have stated. You asked on another thread if noise was an issue, despite me clearly stating it was not and an opinion sensible noise output, being at maximum 50db for a 120mm fan in my opinion.

You have also now aksed my system specifications, something I have placed on my account's description...And you have no doubt checked it being a Moderator...

I'm asking for both specs and temps. Unless I've missed it, you've only mentioned that you thought cpu temps weren't relevant in the linked thread below.

It's good to have specs stated in the thread if possible for future reference and since profile specs can be edited. Members also commonly refer to other systems not listed on their profile.

It's not a repeated thread but it's the same discussion on what to do about your airflow like the one here.

It's a lot easier to have the discussion self-contained in one thread instead of having it repeated across several. It's not like you're asking something other than 'what should I do about my airflow/cooling'.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Anyhow, @WoodenMarker, my current temperatures remain quite acceptable on the CPU's side, peaking at only 40oC upon a gaming load, according to NZXT's CAM software.

On the other hand sits my GPU. Yep, I do understand that it is amongst one of the highest clocked GPU's EVGA (EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti FTW Edition (ACX 2.0) has to offer to the general consumer, but does sometimes reach around 70oC according to EVGA PrecisionX 16 on idle...yes, idle. Which really concerns me as even though that is perfectly safe, I would only have imagined that was concerning as an idle temperature, with ambient unknown but certainly not scorching hot.

Have you tried raising your graphics card fan speeds? What are your gpu load temps?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

I'm asking for both specs and temps. Unless I've missed it, you've only mentioned that you thought temps weren't relevant in the linked thread below.

It's good to have specs stated in the thread if possible for future reference and since profile specs can be edited. Members also commonly refer to other systems not listed on their profile.

It's not a repeated thread but it's the same discussion on what to do about your airflow like the one here.

It's a lot easier to have the discussion self-contained in one thread instead of having it repeated across several. It's not like you're asking something other than 'what should I do about my airflow/cooling'.

Okay, my apologies. Lets just keep that behind us though xD.

Yes, the temperatures were not of importance in that thread only for a certain matter as I simply wanted higher specification 120mm higher static pressure fans.

I will proceed to list my specifications then in the main post.

Thank you for you help! :D

Just now, EnergyEclipse said:

Yes, the temperatures were not of importance in that thread only for a certain matter as I simply wanted higher specification 120mm higher static pressure fans.

In case you missed this earlier as well, I explained that fan specifications can't necessarily be trusted and don't mean much. There's a reason why fans are (usually)
benchmarked with cooling performance instead of spec sheets.

Let me just get Unigine Haven 4.0 and run EVGA PrecisionX 16 for monitoring tempatures. Ber with me @WoodenMarker

12 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Let me just get Unigine Haven 4.0 and run EVGA PrecisionX 16 for monitoring tempatures. Ber with me

Okay, right, so temperatures done. Sorry, I forgot to tag you previously to say I was doing such thing.

The GPU remained solid at 80oC at 100% Fan speed, offering the boost to go over its normal boost clock.

Settings:

8x I think it was MSAA or AA

Normal Tessellation

2560 x 1440 Resolution

Ultra

Ran until it began to loop back to the start.

The chassis inside temperature was hovering around 50oC, so around normal I would say. This was recorded using my Fan Speed Controller's thermometer.

I hope this answers you question! @WoodenMarker

12 hours ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Okay, right, so temperatures done. Sorry, I forgot to tag you previously to say I was doing such thing.

The GPU remained solid at 80oC at 100% Fan speed, offering the boost to go over its normal boost clock.

Settings:

8x I think it was MSAA or AA

Normal Tessellation

2560 x 1440 Resolution

Ultra

Ran until it began to loop back to the start.

The chassis inside temperature was hovering around 50oC, so around normal I would say. This was recorded using my Fan Speed Controller's thermometer.

Those temps are pretty high for 100% fan speed.

Have you lowered the fan speed to see if the temps are the same? If they don't change from 80c, it's probably due to the boost.

I personally would look for other mid towers if you are going with case change. I've done 2 changes and monitored how temps changed in both. First case was CoolerMaster Centurio 5 with single 80mm intake, 120mm exhaust and another 120mm side intake (for my blower GPU). Going from that to second case, NZXT Hades with 200mm front intake, 120mm rear exhaust and 140mm top exhaust dropped both CPU and GPU temps by 10C. Now I did change fan setup in Hades to 2x140mm top exhaust, no rear fan. From that to current setup with Fractal Design R4, 2x140mm front intake, 140mm rear exhaust, didn't have any major impact on temps. Fans are about equal when it comes to moving air, but current is much less noisy. Which might be because I changed PSU to better.

In all, I don't think changing cases from mid tower to full tower will do much to temps. Not unless you fill that full tower with fans. Better fans might be better if your current case has some noname stock OEM fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Those temps are pretty high for 100% fan speed.

Have you lowered the fan speed to see if the temps are the same? If they don't change from 80c, it's probably due to the boost.

I agree that they are quite high, although for the noise output was impressive despite the fan RPM. Most definitely the boost, which I would guess is awesome that is basically powered straight through the stress test xD

Anyhow, thank you for your help gravely! :D

Fan RPM speed was set at auto, and did fluctuate at around from around 95% to 100% regularly.  

4 hours ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I agree that they are quite high, although for the noise output was impressive despite the fan RPM. Most definitely the boost, which I would guess is awesome that is basically powered straight through the stress test xD

Anyhow, thank you for your help gravely! :D

Fan RPM speed was set at auto, and did fluctuate at around from around 95% to 100% regularly.  

If your graphics card cooler is dusty, clean it and/or replacing the thermal paste. Other than that, an additional top exhaust fan would be the next best thing.

If your graphics card is somehow free of dust, the most effective way to lower temps while maintaining boost clocks is probably replacing the cooler itself. 

That being said, your temps are fine at 80c at load and there's no need to do any of this unless you find it too loud.

16 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If your graphics card cooler is dusty, clean it and/or replacing the thermal paste. Other than that, an additional top exhaust fan would be the next best thing.

If your graphics card is somehow free of dust, the most effective way to lower temps while maintaining boost clocks is probably replacing the cooler itself. 

That being said, your temps are fine at 80c at load and there's no need to do any of this unless you find it too loud.

Being most fair, I do agree with you that it likely is fine. Maybe toasty you could propose, but certainly not of a potentially dangerous temperature for functioning of it.

The GPU is mostly likely to be dust free, this being credit to the many dust obstructions/filters I have in place. Longevity is definitely key for any of my constructed systems.

Thank you massively for the help in which you have presented to me, although I may just leave this thread open in order to see any other opinions in which this community may have - the more, the merrier!