Open-back headphones for my everyday usage

Kenoxabe

Hi guys. 

So for quite some time, I've been using my Superlux HD 600 as my main headphones for Movies, gaming and music. But I already gave this headphone to my nephew.

I don't have a dac or an amp. Truth be told, I think I don't need them since I'm somewhat fine with my PC's audio (No static, no funny interference or anything. Sound levels are high for me at 100% while using my Superlux HD600. Even used a Kingston HyperX Cloud II and am still satisfied with the audio level. I have an MSI B150M Mortar Arctic Motherboard with RealTek ACL892 Codec).

I'm currently looking for a new headphone which I will use as my daily driver.

Here are my specifics into looking one :

1. Budget is around $100-$300 MAX

2. If possible, I'd like to have no additional gadgets to drive them (say, an amp or dac)

3. Open Back 

4. I mostly listen to these bands / artist

• Coheed and Cambria
  • Lamb of God
  • Jamiroquiai
  • Alien Ant Farm
  • Motion City Soundtrack
  • John Mayer

OR ANY GROUP / ARTIST THAT SOUND LIKE THEM

5. Gonna use it for games and movies too.

I was reading up on the AKG 612 Pros and the Sennheiser HD598 but am not sure if these cans will fit my needs. Any recommendations will surely be appreciated. Thanks!

Sennheiser HD598s are pretty good, really easy to drive via motherboard audio and super comfortable. I have HD558s and they are pretty damn comfortable so HD598 should be even more comfortable. Sennheisers are fairly neutral and sound good in most types of music anyways so I recommend any Sennheiser headphones except for the closed back ones.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

From my experience, K612 has a large soundstage and quite neutral too. Picking apart the details in music and also gaming is super easy. Bass is ok. Requires slightly more power than HD598 iirc, but you will be fine with the current setup. Would go with the K612 pro :D

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Thanks @rattacko123 and @nicobombai

By the way, is there any software that I should download (that compliments my current onboard sound) so that (if ever I buy either HD 598 or K612) they would compliment the headphone that I'll buy in the future?

Free please. Free is good. Lol

1 minute ago, ZakuII said:

By the way, is there any software that I should download (that compliments my current onboard sound) so that (if ever I buy either HD 598 or K612) they would compliment the headphone that I'll buy in the future?

I don't think any additional software is necessary as it can alter the sound of the headphone.. A good headphone can do wonders for you, in music, recording and even in games, you don't need that surround sound gimmick :P

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Just now, nicobombai said:

I don't think any additional software is necessary as it can alter the sound of the headphone.. A good headphone can do wonders for you, in music, recording and even in games, you don't need that surround sound gimmick :P

Wasn't really after the surround sound. Was after the amplification of the volume. More than 100% I guess? LOL

THANKS MAN! :D

4 minutes ago, ZakuII said:

Razer Surround is a decent choice.
SOUND BLASTER X-FI MB3 is also another choice but it cost moneh and support is limited, it may or may not work with your audio

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

10 minutes ago, ZakuII said:

Wasn't really after the surround sound. Was after the amplification of the volume. More than 100% I guess? LOL

Sound amplification software is impossible to find, it can sound terrible (windows default loudness eq, or razer surround volume increase thing) or only be included in the most expensive products (sound blaster). In my case I use dolby HTV4 to amplify my sound, but it only comes with certain products like certain laptops or ASUS external sound cards.
The only software only option I can find that doesn't sound like trash is using VST effects and virtual audio cable, however this is CPU intensive and adds ridiculous amounts of latency, OK for watching videos and good for music, but not so good for gaming.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

8 minutes ago, ZakuII said:

THANKS MAN! :D

Cmiiw, amplification usually is hardware stuff which is mostly external hardware, soo software amps might be a gimmick too..

Unless you have the hardware amps thingy on the mobo like the gigabytes one where you need to manually pick the switches for amplifying the audio although i never tried this..

6 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

Sound amplification software is impossible to find, it can sound terrible (windows default loudness eq, or razer surround volume increase thing) or only be included in the most expensive products (sound blaster). In my case I use dolby HTV4 to amplify my sound, but it only comes with certain products like certain laptops or ASUS external sound cards.
The only software only option I can find that doesn't sound like trash is using VST effects and virtual audio cable, however this is CPU intensive and adds ridiculous amounts of latency, OK for watching videos and good for music, but not so good for gaming.

Hmmm... if that's the case, then I guess I just have to stick with my onboard audio then.

5 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Cmiiw, amplification usually is hardware stuff which is mostly external hardware, soo software amps might be a gimmick too..

Unless you have the hardware amps thingy on the mobo like the gigabytes one where you need to manually pick the switches for amplifying the audio although i never tried this..

Gonna ignore software amps then. Also gonna ignore hardware amps. Got no money for such equipment. Lol.

Why not tag a person that has had the K612s for over two years now?

There are some things that I just want you to be sure on, the K612 doesn't have a lot of bass and is probably the most uncolored headphones around that price, but the sound stage is great and I mean GREAT, the detailing is also damn good for the price, but again I have found that a lot of people think that they lack bass.

I personally love them when I listen to Volbeat. (I often pick them over my HE560 when I listen to Volbeat)

I would personally get a schiit fulla 2 with them, since they have shown me that they scale quite well with good DACs and amps, but it will set you back 250'ish.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@Dackzy

I'm not much of a bass-head anyway. A moderate bass would be appreciated though but not so much.

And, if possible, I'd like not to spend on other stuff besides the headphones themselves.

That being said, thank you for the recommendation. 

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Why not tag a person that has had the K612s for over two years now?

Yeah i knew i was missing something posting yesterday.. Oh well, here we are :P