Breath of the Wild, overrated?

roylapoutre
11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

LOL Nintendo fanboys DDOS'ing Jim Sterling's website after he gave BOTW a 7/10 in his review.

Yup. Very Sad.

7/10 is actually a very good score from Jim.

If Nintendo could fix the performance issues, probably would have gotten an 8/10. 

On 3/12/2017 at 6:36 PM, roylapoutre said:

So after a couple of days, I see BotW is still getting extremely positive reviews everywhere with people still praising the game like crazy. 

I watched quite a bit of gameplay and honestly, I can't figure out what's so amazing about it... And I mean this as an open world/rpg whore, I love that kind of games. 

But all I see in BotW is a Zelda game that took long established open world features and put them in an ok environment with a classic Zelda story. 

Am I missing something here or are the nostalgia and hype really responsible for  the positive critics? 

I'm asking for your genuine opinion, not trying to hate on the game or Nintendo here. 

I dunno it's not the 10/10 that I've seen some reviewers give it. Its a fun game with some annoying features like the weapons breaking after killing 2-3 monsters, other then that it's pretty much your standard zelda game with a more open world.  Frankly I'd probably rather it not be open world if it removed the frame drops cuz they sure are bad at times.  With all that said I'm a enjoying my time with it.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

My brother came over and brought his Switch and I played BOTW for about an hour or so today. It's definitely a lot better than I thought it looked in the previews. I thought it was really solid but obviously an hour of gameplay isn't enough to tell whether it lives up to the greatest of all-time hype. But I liked it enough that (1) I'll probably get a Switch in the holiday season when hopefully it'll be bundled with BOTW or Mario Odyssey and (2) I don't want to play any more of BOTW until I buy it. My initial impression in the hour of gameplay was it felt like something I'd rate 9/10, which I consider must play. Or I might buy a used Wii U and play it on that if they get cheap and Mario Odyssey doesn't end up very good. But I think my initial impressions were very wrong.

@SteveGrabowski0

I think I agree with that sentiment. There are things about the game that aren't perfect for sure. Most if not all of them being performance/graphics related. But having played and beaten the main quest of the game? As a fan of Zelda I can't think of a 3D Zelda that's better. I can't think of an open world game I've played that's better. And when I'm playing a game with occasional performance issues that I'm still enjoying more than GTA5 and Wind Waker? Performance issues or not, surely the game deserves a higher rating than those other two.

Do I think its the best game ever? No.I'd personally rate Overwatch, Portal 2, Super Mario Galaxy and Bayonetta 2 higher. Even just looking at Zelda games I'd personally still rate Link's Awakening higher. But for the style of game that it is? I can't think of any open world game or 3D action/adventure game that's I've enjoyed more. And if I can say that then it probably deserves a 10.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

There is so much hype because Nintendo is an old company big in the gaming (console gaming) industry, and it finally seems like they are making a great comeback!  I am not saying it is a bad game, that's just why it gets so much hype unlike other console releases.

On 3/13/2017 at 3:37 AM, roylapoutre said:

Is the gameplay so amazing that it can overcome no questions asked all its flaws? I don't think so. The consensus on BotW seems extreme. But I guess I can't say that until I play it :D which will probably be never unfortunately 

And all of this coming from a PCMR meme.... Very informative thread guys, thanks!

But your avatar just kept cracking me up.....;-)

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 hour ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

And all of this coming from a PCMR meme.... Very informative thread guys, thanks!

But your avatar just kept cracking me up.....;-)

I asked on the forums BECAUSE I didn't have the chance to play it. My whole point was "is it overrated ?", meaning "what are you guys thinking ?" 

Did I say the game was bad ? No. Everything I said was based on extensive gameplay sessions I watched, I made that clear. No I don't want to spend 360€ for a Zelda game, that's why I wanted a panel of players to give their opinion.

You try to discredit the thread solely based on my avatar, well played :) Btw, did you hear the ironic and provocative tone of the PCMR meme ? I think it works because you seem triggered my friend !

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

49 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Snip

Sorry that I seemed offended in my post. I was merely saying that I found it funny that someone with a PCMR avatar was questioning whether a console/console game was overrated. I was attempting to complement the focused nature of the thread, and the fact that it was a discussion, not a fanboy shouting contest.

Sorry to derail your thread, and apologies for any offense caused.

-AN

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!