Breath of the Wild, overrated?

roylapoutre

So after a couple of days, I see BotW is still getting extremely positive reviews everywhere with people still praising the game like crazy. 

I watched quite a bit of gameplay and honestly, I can't figure out what's so amazing about it... And I mean this as an open world/rpg whore, I love that kind of games. 

But all I see in BotW is a Zelda game that took long established open world features and put them in an ok environment with a classic Zelda story. 

Am I missing something here or are the nostalgia and hype really responsible for  the positive critics? 

I'm asking for your genuine opinion, not trying to hate on the game or Nintendo here. 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

I've never played a Zelda game before, so it's not nostalgia for me.

I'm still crazy about this game. I kinda feel like this is how I always imagined the games played when I was still a child.

The game has me hocked like just a few games did so far ._.

But I can't really tell you why that is. It's probably the atmosphere of the world. I does actually want to make you discover things.
When I play Skyrim I always think like I should explore, because I have such a huge world... But I kinda just wanted to continue with the story. 

I BoTW I immediately turned in another direction as soon as the game tried guiding me somewhere and got lost :D

You might just have to try it out to understand it, but you'll probably be disappointed, because your expectations are to high now : D I went into it completely spoiler free and that is kinda what this game deserves. You have to figure everything out by yourself : D   

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

I've never played a Zelda game before, so it's not nostalgia for me.

I'm still crazy about this game. I kinda feel like this is how I always imagined the games played when I was still a child.

The game has me hocked like just a few games did so far ._.

But I can't really tell you why that is. It's probably the atmosphere of the world. I does actually want to make you discover things.
When I play Skyrim I always think like I should explore, because I have such a huge world... But I kinda just wanted to continue with the story. 

I BoTW I immediately turned in another direction as soon as the game tried guiding me somewhere and got lost :D

You might just have to try it out to understand it, but you'll probably be disappointed, because your expectations are to high now : D I went into it completely spoiler free and that is kinda what this game deserves. You have to figure everything out by yourself : D   

That's the thing! I love beautiful and well detailed huge worlds to explore in video games. But from the first hours of gameplay I saw, it seems like everything looks the same and is kinda low detailed in general. You compared to skyrim, but it feels it would be the other way around for me : rushing the story in BotW because the world is meh, while I can spend hours wandering around in Skyrim to admire the landscape ^^

And regarding the story, it's quite great in BotW, no doubt. But nothing groundbreaking compared to other modern RPGs. I actually have the impression that people worshipping the game so hard are rediscovering video games with BotW, like nothing else happened since the last Zelda games ^^

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

Probably a lot of fans being hype, if Activision ever resurrected The Legend of Spyro franchise again I would hype the shit out of it regardless how good/bad the game was.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Probably a lot of fans being hype, if Activision ever resurrected The Legend of Spyro franchise again I would hype the shit out of it regardless how good/bad the game was.

Ahaha don't hold your breath for this one :P

6 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

And regarding the story, it's quite great in BotW, no doubt. But nothing groundbreaking compared to other modern RPGs. I actually have the impression that people worshipping the game so hard are rediscovering video games with BotW, like nothing else happened since the last Zelda games ^^

Why does it need to do something groundbreaking to deserve high praise? From what i've been reading, it does what a lot of open world rpgs try really well and drive homes a sense of exploration and discovery. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

Why does it need to do something groundbreaking to deserve high praise? From what i've been reading, it does what a lot of open world rpgs try really well and drive homes a sense of exploration and discovery. 

It had to have something exceptional to be one of the most highly rated games of all times. Something that I didn't see in all the videos I watched. 

Like said before, it may be because I didn't play it myself, which is entirely possible, but I'm failing so much at understanding the praise from watching entire walk-through that I really don't see what I'm missing by not playing it. 

The only negative comments about the game are from haters and mixed reviews/comments are extremely rare. That's hard to understand from my point of view after seeing exactly what the game is about. 

while I can spend hours wandering around in Skyrim to admire the landscape

Why would you think, that it it would be different with BoTW? Sure, the switch doesn't have that much performance and it is just a port from the Wii U, but

from my perspective it looks a lot better than the skyrim I played (granted modless). And it feels a lot better ._. That is probably what makes this game great, it feels just awesome to play it. 

but I'm failing so much at understanding

It is just, as you already said, you didn't play it yet. The whole idea of video games is playing them.

I also usually watch gameplay videos before I buy a game, but it never ends up being the way I thought it would be in the video. It's always somewhat different.

The same as reading a book is a completely different experience than watching a movie ._. and for this metaphor to work, you would be reading a book that is about someone watching a movie ... that would be really dull : D

But to make it short, if you want an answer to your question, I don't really see a way around you trying it out. Then you can decide for yourself (:

It's a great game, but it is getting high praise because of the Zelda logo. What other company would get away with releasing a 720p 24fps game in 2017?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

6 hours ago, roylapoutre said:

So after a couple of days, I see BotW is still getting extremely positive reviews everywhere with people still praising the game like crazy. I watched quite a bit of gameplay and honestly, I can't figure out what's so amazing about it...

Ok, I'm a huge Zelda fan so obviously I'm biased. But even so I think its fair to say that you're not going to get the full idea of what this game is like simply by watching other people play it. What it does well doesn't really translate well to a lets play or a gameplay trailer. It's subtle stuff like the way that sidequests seem a bit more organic than in other open world games. And the way that it just lets you approach battles and puzzles however you want. It also helps that it doesn't hold your hand at all and is more than happy to let you wander off to your death. Something which it does without ever feeling like it's the game's fault.

Also, as a Zelda fan? I don't think it's leaning on the nostalgia that much at all. There are a few nods to the older games here and there but it's not what makes it a great game. If you've played previous Zelda games? You'll recognise the name of some locations, races, some enemies and a few characters. But that's about it. The dungeon structure, the way the puzzles are solved, combat, weapon systems and even the guardians themselves? It's all new. Hell, every other Zelda game makes a huge deal about the Green tunic. In this game you can play the whole thing shirtless with a pair of shorts if you want.

In terms of performance? It's not perfect. The textures are fairly low res and it's running at either 720p/30fps or 900p/30fps depending on whether it's docked or not. And there are occasional dips to around 20fps or so which don't really seem to be tied to what's being displayed on screen. I'm fairly sure it happens when the game is loading the next area of the game in the background. But it's not game breaking.

The last point I'd make is about the scores this game is getting in general. It's getting 10s so it's very easy to call it "overrated". It can't exactly be underrated with that sort of critical acclaim. You also need to remember that 10/10 does not mean "perfect". I'd call Revolver by the Beatles a 5 star album easily even though Yellow Submarine is a super average song. The framerate dips are Breath of the Wild's Yellow Submarine... but damn, the game is flooded with Revolver and Eleanor Rigby moments.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I don't understand it either, and I should be the target audience since I played and loved Zelda 1 on NES, Zelda A Link to the Past on SNES, and Zelda Ocarina of Time on N64 back when they came out. But the game just looks so ugly to me. When I saw the preview for Skyrim I would have paid $200 for it if that was the price of the game. Seeing Markarth with the big waterfalls, seeing the dragon fights, seeing the aurora in the sky in this subarctic wonderland, I mean Skyrim made me bust in my pants I wanted the game so badly. And all I wanted to do was explore once I finally got it. When you went up in the mountains on the SE end of the map it reminded me so much of hiking out in Grand Teton NP. I started to feel similarly about Horizon Zero Dawn when I first saw it at E3 last summer. You mean I'm some primitive tribeswoman who can fight and take control of robot dinosaurs in this amazing mountainous region with spectacular graphics and lighting? That preview sold me the minute I saw it. Watching the gameplay they showed at E3 made me want the game so badly I bought a PS4 even though I hated the idea of such weak hardware.

But when I saw Zelda BOTW previewed and later reviewed I just didn't see anything that excited me. The cel shaded graphics look ugly, like they're only there because Nintendo went super cheap on their hardware and can't put something out that would look incredible graphically like Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn do now. The enemies look cartoony and stupid to me. I'm not impressed that you can push a boulder on them.

I don't know, maybe I just can't get past the art style. But I feel like I got burned badly last time I bought a Zelda that all the reviewers in the world got their nipples hard over: Twilight Princess on the Wii. I bought a Wii in 2009 specifically to play that one game because it was supposed to be so incredible. But it was so ugly, and even worse it bored me to death. I soldiered on for five hours trying to get to some place where the game felt enjoyable, and it never got there. At least I didn't play it the entire way through waiting for it to get good, like I did with GTA IV.

So basically, positives:

- The art direction is solid

- The gameplay is interesting

- The story is good

- Performance is good enough for an open world game

- Load times are fantastic

Negatives:

- Nintendo made it

- It's not trying to impress us with graphics based on what I've seen from videos on youtube

I understand the "you have to play it" argument, really. But watching someone play is enough to get an idea of the combat system, the quality of the quest and the quality of the graphics. And the flaws are there whether I play it or not. 

I also understand that the Switch is a handheld first and foremost, but buying a 300$ console and a 60$ AAA game in 2017 to get sub 900p sub 30fps and have more aliasing than a PS3 game is outrageous to me. 

From gameplay, I can easily see that even if the art style is really pretty, the same patterns are repeating too often in the world, taking away from the immersion and sense of exploration everyone is talking about. Of course this is a limitation of the Switch's hardware, but it's still a huge turn off on an open world game for me. 

I'm not taking away all the good this game surely has, but there are legitimate flaws and as 2Buck said, any other games would get severe critics from those flaws,mitigating the score it would get for sure .

Is the gameplay so amazing that it can overcome no questions asked all its flaws? I don't think so. The consensus on BotW seems extreme. But I guess I can't say that until I play it :D which will probably be never unfortunately 

the same patterns are repeating too often in the world

I didn't really see that in the game yet. That was more of a concern in Skyrim for me ._. but I didn't even discover half of the world in botw yet, so that might still happen : D.

One of the other charms of the game are, that there is usually nothing that shows you where to go for side quests. Often the quest log doesn't even tell you. You have to listen to the characters and figure it out by yourself. If you forgot what they said, you have to go back to ask them again. 

I always thought games should be more like that, even though I could understand why no one really wants to implement quests like that. You can get frustrated quickly and it'll probably be boring as hell ._. but botw somehow manages without that for me anyway : D 

Maybe I'm also to forgiving to the game. But there is this concept. If something is really enjoyable it pulls you into its world. As soon as that happens, you don't really notice minor flaws anymore, they are just part of the new world. The only thing that can drag you out of that space is something really game breaking.

While if your are not that immersed, you will notice every little thing that putts you off to a point that it actually really becomes annoying. 

That is actually the reason why I never watch Videos about games I still want to play : D

There was an episode from extra credits about it, but I sadly forgot how it was called and can't find it right now.

But BoTW just takes me right into its world without even giving me the chance to distance me from it in a way that only mass effect has done for the last couple of years (But i sadly don't have a lot of time to play, so I didn't really play a lot of different games) 

Maybe this answers your question, why people are so enthusiastic about the new Zelda : D

@roylapoutre

In terms of the gameplay? I don't think there's really much to complain about. I have played games with better combat systems but not many and not in games that have the same depth as Breath of the Wild. It's solid and there's a huge amount of depth there. You can do stuff like ride a horse into an enemy camp, jump off your horse and shoot a fire arrow at an explosive barrel in mid air. Then maybe ten minutes later you might stumble across a giant who kills you almost instantly. So yeah, it is that good.

And the graphics are nowhere near as bad as you're talking about here. I haven't noticed the repeating patterns of textures you're talking about here. You do see low resolution textures on the rocks in particular but when you're climbing a cliff that's not really what you're focused on. Climbing a cliff is fun. Even more fun when you get to the top and are able to look well into the distance for shrines and towers you need to get to.

Lastly lets not ignore one thing about this game. It doesn't hold your hand at all. That needs repeating. If you want to you can get the glider at the start of the game and just head strait to Ganon. A speed-runner has already beaten this game in an hour. I've put tens of hours into it and still haven't technically finished the main objective yet. There are four main bosses other than the main dude, you don't have to beat them in order. There is no order. Technically you don't have to beat them at all. That's why this game is getting 10s.

I've played BOTW and its UHmazing. BUT the A-holes who buy a million Nintendo Switch(s) and then crank those prices up need to be pushed into hong kong traffic the STOCK STRUGGLE is real right now which is perhaps causing a lot of people to question the quality of a game like this one and if its worth it. My moment of justice will be when the same jerks who are selling those consoles now have sitting ducks after Nintendo Re-Stocks the stores and then ILL LOW-BALL EM HARD. Its a game of patience BWHAAHAHAHAHA! >_<

The difference is that Zelda is a puzzle adventure game, and it rewards you (signs of a well designed game). It isn't your Witcher 3, where you have this deep complex story, with a million side quest, and a game within a game. It is simple. They are fun puzzles in an adventure form, that fun. Another appeal, is that most adults don't have the time for big massive games like many open world games. I can't even finish The Witcher 2, and I got it since the game was released. The main problem is that every time I have several hours to dive in, I completely lost track of the story, and you loose interest.  I am definitely not alone. The Witcher series are fantastic games, I know it.. but there is a serious appeal for simpler games. They aren't many simple, yet fun, open world games.

Also, Zelda is a strategy aspect as well. They are several points of strategies, but as an example, here this youtuber who talks about the weapon mechanism:

So that is why Zelda is so interesting to many. Is it a 10/10 game? No. I don't have the game, but the simple issue with frame drops, menu navigation can be improved as it is not excellent, already bring it down from a perfect game.

The last single player game I played to completion was Fallout 4. Before that it was... I honestly don't remember, maybe Resident Evil 5 (which was bad) and before that I couldn't tell you. I mostly play online multiplayer games. That being said... breath of the wild is sick. I bought a switch just to play this game and I love it. I love the switch as a console but this game, even if on the Wii U is totally worth it. 

i have a rather unpopular opinion on this game i think. The story for me is not the strong point. because it is far to short. I'm talking about the main story. It takes a long time to get to anything new in the story. I'll admit here that i haven't finished the game and im not 100% sure that it actually as short as i think it is. I won't spoil anything but as far as i understand it now is that you go after ganon after you've done the quest where you have to go to the 4 points in hyrule. After that the game is over of course. So to me, that is a far to short main story. Feels lazy to me because side quests are easy to make but often take a long time to complete, like the "get his specific item for me" quests.

Also the framedrops are quite annoying at times and really disappointing. So if a lot of sites/reviews are rating this game 10/10 it is idd MASSIVELY overrated. To me its more like a 6.5 may 7/10. For me it comes no where near the quality and awesomeness of OoT or LttP.

But i'm kinda weird i've noticed so it's probably just me....

I have no signature

13 hours ago, Helly said:

i have a rather unpopular opinion on this game i think. The story for me is not the strong point. because it is far to short. I'm talking about the main story. It takes a long time to get to anything new in the story. I'll admit here that i haven't finished the game and im not 100% sure that it actually as short as i think it is. I won't spoil anything but as far as i understand it now is that you go after ganon after you've done the quest where you have to go to the 4 points in hyrule. After that the game is over of course. So to me, that is a far to short main story. Feels lazy to me because side quests are easy to make but often take a long time to complete, like the "get his specific item for me" quests.

Also the framedrops are quite annoying at times and really disappointing. So if a lot of sites/reviews are rating this game 10/10 it is idd MASSIVELY overrated. To me its more like a 6.5 may 7/10. For me it comes no where near the quality and awesomeness of OoT or LttP.

But i'm kinda weird i've noticed so it's probably just me....

Yeah I only tested the game so I can't say anything on the shortness of the game but I read from a few rare people that the story is actually quite short for what you pay. 

Oh and I saw on a couple of reviews that comforted me regarding the ridiculous praise : the reviewers explicitly said that BotW was so good that it basically justifies the purchase of the Switch... Yeah, BotW is so good that it's worth 360$ and the purchase of a new system entirely just for playing it. This seems way out of proportion and irrational to me... 

40 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Oh and I saw on a couple of reviews that comforted me regarding the ridiculous praise : the reviewers explicitly said that BotW was so good that it basically justifies the purchase of the Switch... Yeah, BotW is so good that it's worth 360$ and the purchase of a new system entirely just for playing it. This seems way out of proportion and irrational to me... 

I think Bloodborne on its own is good enough to justify buying a PS4. Though you're talking about $290 for PS4 Slim + Bloodborne + The Old Hunters DLC.

It's not a 10/10 anyone who says that needs to give their head a shake
"Really a 10/10, if they fix the frame rate drops do you have to bump it to an 11/10 or is it perfect because of the frame rate?"

But it does do somethings that are interesting, I've been playing alot of Horizon:zero dawn and you know what would make it a better game, the ability to climb things like in BoTW instead of the mash jump or yellow grabbable ledges. I like that, if you can see it you can go to it, there may be nothing there but at least it's not a pit of death or invisible wall.

I like that you can collect your arrows and the ability to interact with the environment (albeit very basic, hell farcry 1 had better fire) I don't like that some logic just doesn't work (Pile of dry leaves I've just blow them away, nope the games says you have to burn it) 

It does alot of things in very acceptable ways, it's crafting isn't completely boiled down to just one click but also isn't the most complicated and in depth, it's combat is bog standard, it's big world is mostly just shrine trials and Korok Seeds, it's environmental interaction and destructible are there but nothing that hasn't been don't better in other games (except some of the tree falling shit, how it floats on water is kinda cool), but in spite of how lack luster the implementation of these things are I would absolutely enjoy Horizon more with these things implemented the way they are (except korok seeds I don't give a shit about the hundreds of these collectibles Edit: and combat, it's fine in BoTW but I don't want it)  

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I think Bloodborne on its own is good enough to justify buying a PS4. Though you're talking about $290 for PS4 Slim + Bloodborne + The Old Hunters DLC.

You can get a Ps4 and Bloodborne Game of the year edition for 300$ along with uncharted 4

4 hours ago, AG1233 said:

You can get a Ps4 and Bloodborne Game of the year edition for 300$ along with uncharted 4

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10