Twitch Is Getting A Desktop App

Guest Kloaked

I MAY ACTUALLY USE TWITCH AGAIN

To make Twitch great again, Amazon/Twitch are making a desktop client for the streaming service. In my other thread about the Twitch Pulse announcement, @MakeAMDGreatAgain and I were mildly discussing how held back Twitch is by web browsers and how it would be so much better on it's own dedicated client.

WELLLLLLL

5mBE2MiMVFITS.gif

Game streaming platform Twitch is getting a desktop app very soon. The new app is actually a rebrand of an old one; last year Twitch acquired standalone gaming chat app Curse, which will now be reintroduced as an official Twitch product.

I didn't know about them acquiring Curse's chat app. Hopefully Discord doesn't get shit on due to this :(

The app will feature all of the same tools as the original Curse version — including things like screen sharing, voice and video chat, and community server and mod tools — but will also be updated to support Twitch’s myriad social features. Users will be able to connect with their Twitch friends and share their activity, and also use the service’s “whispers” private messaging tool. The app will also support Twitch’s impending game download store when it launches this spring.

The refreshed app will be available in open beta on March 16th, at which point existing Curse users will also be upgraded to the new version.

Well, Discord may actually be resting in pieces since full-on Twitch integration will be available in this single app. Of course, this matters only if the app is any good.

I mean ok many use Discord now (have Curse too) and we'll see how this goes.
Though does it really need to be extra client on computer to run, you can't do everything via website hmm?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I mean ok many use Discord now (have Curse too) and we'll see how this goes.
Though does it really need to be extra client on computer to run, you can't do everything via website hmm?

It runs like shit through a web browser.

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Twitch? I have no problems.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Discord will most certainly not be “resting in pieces”, lol. I don’t know what servers you’re on, but I’m on several ones boasting anywhere from 500 to 5000 members at a given time, and they have no relation whatsoever to Twitch. Best check on that.

What servers I'm on doesn't matter. 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Will it be as pointless useful as something like the Spotify client?

Least it's not as bad as ShiTunes.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Maybe I'm just an odd one out but really, iTunes has never been that bad for me.

To be fair, the Spotify client does run better than through a browser, so there's that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Maybe I'm just an odd one out but really, iTunes has never been that bad for me.

To be fair, the Spotify client does run better than through a browser, so there's that.

iTunes killed my memory and wouldn't cooperate under certain circumstances when I used it. Dunno what it's like in the present, least on Windows.

Just now, Kloaked said:

iTunes killed my memory and wouldn't cooperate under certain circumstances when I used it. Dunno what it's like in the present, least on Windows.

Yeah, I remember older iTunes clients being really harsh on memory.

Seems to have improved vastly over the years though. It still uses quite a bit of memory compared to other music players and really doesn't run all that fast, but it has improved.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

29 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Many of these kinds of Apps are basically just a browser API disguised as a stand alone app anyway, let's hope that's not the case and that you can actually use it instead of the browser to save big on performance and resources.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Discord will be thriving without you and whatever servers you might be on. That’s all I’m saying really.

Dude, Discord will be in shambles once this launches. Are you daft?

They literally talked about this on the last wan show, it was the first topic

14 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

This kind of bullshit is exactly what I was talking about. Discord is thriving without the Twitch community right now. Again, I don’t know what servers you’re on, but I’m on several ones boasting anywhere from 500 to 5000 members at a given time, and they have no relation whatsoever to Twitch. Best check on that.

Do you not realize how large Twitch is? Best check on that.

Most of the people in the discord channels I'm in don't like the curse app anyway... so I don't think it will motivate a lot to move to a different client just for twitch integration. One thing that will be interesting to watch is how twitch handles the streamers that have their own discord channels and are sponsored by discord. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

If twitch is giving you problems in your browser, download Livestreamer and get the twitch GUI. I use VLC player to watch twitch streams, but you can choose what you want, though I don't remember what the other options are.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

iTunes became increasingly awful after version 11, but version 10.7.0.21 has been the best music player I've used (and am currently using), at least on desktop.

So we're going to get an official version of https://github.com/streamlink/streamlink-twitch-gui now? Doubt I'll switch, since it's nice to pipe the video to my own output, and since chat is still in a browser, all my addons (BTTV, FFZ, etc) still work and function like normal. Plus I get desktop notifications whenever a streamer goes live.

Spoiler

14f3f520ae.png

I'm not giving that up anytime soon.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

Do you not realize how large Twitch is? Best check on that.

Many servers are completely unrelated to twitch, many huge youtubers that don't stream on twitch also have discord servers, there's one for MANY sub-reddits, and many many many other communities outside of just twitch.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Why does everyone and their dog need a desktop program these days?

7 hours ago, Kloaked said:

well curse is an electron app, so twitch desktop will probably also be an electron app, so the desktop version won't run any better since it's basically a webbrowser with enhanced functionality :) (discord also uses electron)

electron allows you to build desktop applications with html, css and javascript :)

If the app uses CEF or Chromium then I won't be using it.........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Curse was never as popular as Discord. However with twitch integration this could shuffle the cards big time !

I like discord but if I can watch a stream and automatically see people on Curse app who watch the same stream and want to play a game then thats much better than having to go through the copy+pasta link and connect to it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

11 hours ago, Kloaked said:

iTunes logic: you wanna do A? Sure! 1st do B then D then Z then K then J then repeat the whole process but in random sequence. 

Then I will give you A. 

Trying to finish whatever you are doing and wrap it up and leave? 

Here are your option: 

1. Click "finish".
  2. Click "Sync".
  3. 1st click "finish " then "sync".
  4. 1st click "sync" then "finish".
  5. Command Q. (Windows user go fuck yourself. Cos you have no command on your keyboard HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH )

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

9 hours ago, Thony said:

Curse was never as popular as Discord. However with twitch integration this could shuffle the cards big time !

I like discord but if I can watch a stream and automatically see people on Curse app who watch the same stream and want to play a game then thats much better than having to go through the copy+pasta link and connect to it.

I agree but the Discord Team is awesome! The patch notes are insight full, the audio quality is great and the emojis.. It's the only thing that has come close to Windows App Messenger when talking about custom emojis..

Spoiler

For some reason I'm emotionally invested in Discord and I'd be sad to leave it for Curse..

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

I normally watch Twitch streams through Chrome.  Are any of these solutions better for increasing the actual visual quality of a stream? Even having the stream set to high makes games people are streaming still very grainy when i view them.  Or is that simply the nature of Twitch??

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC