Dell XPS 27 2017 Review

Whowee! Thought i'd never see something like this, an ugly monitor from dell! O.o

Details separate people.

lol i love being early to these posts then i can act like i can predict the future of what video is going to be uploaded for my friends

linus sex tips

I'm impressed with this setup, Imagine buying the weaker base model, swapping in an i7 and using an eGPU (1080 ti :)) on those TB3  

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Actually, with 2 thunderbolt 3 and some ghetto mods you might be able to jury rig SLI.  Use2 Akitio nodes, rip them together, bolt it under the desk and boom - sli GPU's on an all in one PC

Well done Dell for not soldering everything to the motherboard. Easy upgradability is become more and more rare with all-in-one type devices now days. 

Looks ugly as sin though if you ask me. 

5 hours ago, Damascus said:

Actually, with 2 thunderbolt 3 and some ghetto mods you might be able to jury rig SLI.  Use2 Akitio nodes, rip them together, bolt it under the desk and boom - sli GPU's on an all in one PC

You would have to BIOS hack the GPUs, as over thunderbolt, PCIe devices are limited to PCIe 3.0 x4 speeds when using TB3. Then you'd also have to account for the eGPU actually feeding frames back to the machine.

One could theoretically Crossfire AMD's GPUs, but as they communicate over PCIe, it would take large amount of tinkering there as well to make it work at even the minimum acceptable state.

5 hours ago, Damascus said:

I'm impressed with this setup, Imagine buying the weaker base model, swapping in an i7 and using an eGPU (1080 ti :)) on those TB3  

A 1080 would be bottlenecked by Thunderbolt 3, so throwing money at the Ti would be extremely stupid and wasteful. One would be better served just buying a GTX 1080 equipped laptop and using that as a desktop, it'd likely cost the same as the XPS+GPU dock+GPU, and have the same power.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

A 1080 would be bottlenecked by Thunderbolt 3, so throwing money at the Ti would be extremely stupid and wasteful. One would be better served just buying a GTX 1080 equipped laptop and using that as a desktop, it'd likely cost the same as the XPS+GPU dock+GPU, and have the same power.

It's not about getting the full performance of the GPU.  That matters significantly less.  It's more about having the advantages of that style AIO for content creation etc.  This setup would have the close to the power of a tower but with a high quality 4k touch screen.  FYI those are basically impossible to get.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a drafting and architecture student, it's one of the best options as far as I can see

Just now, Damascus said:

It's not about getting the full performance of the GPU.  That matters significantly less.  It's more about having the advantages of that style AIO for content creation etc.  This setup would have the close to the power of a tower but with a high quality 4k touch screen.  FYI those are basically impossible to get.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a drafting and architecture student, it's one of the best options as far as I can see

The setup you've described is as I said: stupid and a waste of money.

One would be handily better served with a moderate laptop that has a GTX 1070 or 1080, HDMI 2.0 or DP out, and an HK or HQ processor. It doesn't see the bottlenecking issue of TB3, one typically gets an SSD Boot drive and a 1TB HDD, it can handily drive any 4K panel of any size (not that there's much benefit outside of media work @27", especially with Windows' still shit 4K scaling), it costs the same or less, and the real kicker, with a GTX 1080 equipped it actually is a self contained system, a true AiO.

What you've described could easily be obtained with an ITX build with something like the Dan Case A4-SFX, and a BenQ 4K monitor. It'd take up the same amount of space, costs would, very likely, be lower.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The setup you've described is as I said: stupid and a waste of money.

One would be handily better served with a moderate laptop that has a GTX 1070 or 1080, HDMI 2.0 or DP out, and an HK or HQ processor. It doesn't see the bottlenecking issue of TB3, one typically gets an SSD Boot drive and a 1TB HDD, it can handily drive any 4K panel of any size (not that there's much benefit outside of media work @27", especially with Windows' still shit 4K scaling), it costs the same or less, and the real kicker, with a GTX 1080 equipped it actually is a self contained system, a true AiO.

What you've described could easily be obtained with an ITX build with something like the Dan Case A4-SFX, and a BenQ 4K monitor. It'd take up the same amount of space, costs would, very likely, be lower.

All true.  The thing is, this setup has something the others don't.

A TOUCH 4k display. I welcome you to find a reliable 4k touch screen available for consumer purchase.  A contact of mines firm spent upwards of $12,000 to get such screens (minimum purchase of 8 screens)

It's very niche but for a graduate entering a BYOD Workforce with a need for a setup like this it's really hard to beat

Also I totally agree on the mini PC, it's what I have ATM

I also agree on the laptop, I'll probably be getting myself a 1070 laptop eventually. 

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

All true.  The thing is, this setup has something the others don't.

A TOUCH 4k display. I welcome you to find a reliable 4k touch screen available for consumer purchase.  A contact of mines firm spent upwards of $12,000 to get such screens (minimum purchase of 8 screens)

It's very niche but for a graduate entering a BYOD Workforce with a need for a setup like this it's really hard to beat

Also I totally agree on the mini PC, it's what I have ATM

I also agree on the laptop, I'll probably be getting myself a 1070 laptop eventually. 

Again, at this size, unless you're a serious video or photo editor, you're not realistically benefiting from a 4K panel at 27", you're wasting money on a marketing buzzword. It's not like there aren't high end devices more suited towards use cases, such as the Surface Studio, with the copy cats soon to follow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Considering how small PC w/ better specs + badass monitor you can buy/build for less, this product seems a bit irrelevant.

Sure, it is stylish and you're paying a premium for the all-in-one experience + brand + touch screen.

Also, of course having a small PC + a great screen isn't the same as this, but still the product feels very irrelevant.

Of course, I'm not a part of the target audience, but even when I try to put myself in the audience's shoes, I can't justify the cost.

48 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Again, at this size, unless you're a serious video or photo editor, you're not realistically benefiting from a 4K panel at 27", you're wasting money on a marketing buzzword. It's not like there aren't high end devices more suited towards use cases, such as the Surface Studio, with the copy cats soon to follow.

The surface is laughed at.  It isn't nearly powerful enough for big jobs.  This can actually perform the job.

14 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Whowee! Thought i'd never see something like this, an ugly monitor from dell! O.o

But somehow they make it look sexy on the product page.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

6 hours ago, Damascus said:

The surface is laughed at.  It isn't nearly powerful enough for big jobs.  This can actually perform the job.

Anyone laughing at it is an idiot then, as the Surface devices are tailored to run Windows more optimally than the XPS, and the tweaked variants of Windows they run are optimized specifically for them. They're quite capable for the tasks they're designed for, including architecture, unless one loads them with copious amounts of stupid garbage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Those speakers looks.... so ugly. 

Kudos to dell that they do include some form of user upgradability into it. 

But I doubt people who buy all in ones have the habit / knowledge to open the machine up and upgrade everything though. 

People who like to upgrade the pc themselves are more likely to build their own system from ground up, cos it is the most cost efficient way. 

People who buy all in ones, most likely don't have any knowledge when it comes to upgrading their PC. 

So. At least that's what I thought. 

And... last but not least.  It looks like a iMac copycat. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Wait a minute, what's going on here..... 

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 8.38.12 PM.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Anyone laughing at it is an idiot then, as the Surface devices are tailored to run Windows more optimally than the XPS, and the tweaked variants of Windows they run are optimized specifically for them. They're quite capable for the tasks they're designed for, including architecture, unless one loads them with copious amounts of stupid garbage.

You want to try loading skyscraper, sewer system or even a large house on a mobile processor and mobile graphics card?

It ain't pretty LOL

18 hours ago, nicklmg said:

-snip-

Wrong section, please post this in "Member Reviews".  Thank you :) 

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

2 hours ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Wrong section, please post this in "Member Reviews".  Thank you :) 

Uh... I think you might be in the wrong thread lol :P

This seems like one of those products that y'all should decline reviewing.  Is anyone in the audience ever going to consider buying something like this?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)