Buying now or wait for Vega?

light-v

I want to replace my GTX 960 for something that can push 1080p at 75fps (the 960 can't even do 45fps sometimes) but I'm puzzled. I see rumours of the RX 500 series (tho it's most likely a rebranded Polaris 10) and nVidia doesn't seem to have anything new to offer in this range (nope I'm not gonna put down 700$ on a 1080 Ti) should I wait or go ahead and upgrade? 

Depends how much you wanna spend.

17 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

the thing is that with vega you don't know how good it will be, so if you want to i would maybe buy a gtx 1060 if i was you.

i would buy a rx480, which is cheaper and faster in some games or a 1070 if you have the money. 

It honestly depends on what you are wanting to do and if you are willing to wait. I bought a MSI 1070 Gaming X about a month ago. Kicking myself in the pants a bit for not waiting, BUT I still paid less for it(used) then I would getting it new, even with a mail in rebate. Personally, I knew from the start that I would be getting a 1070 to start with so I could see the 10ti series and Vega, and how they preformed, as well as see what the different manufacturers come out with. I'm toying with the fact of upgrading to either a 1080ti or  a VEGA once prices and inventory settle. ONE of the things I'm going to be using the new rig for is 1440p/4k gaming(depending on where I can land settings to make things the most satisfying for me personally). If you don't want to shell out the kind of money to get a top tier graphics card, then don't. VEGA is supposed to be marketed at the Enthusiast market, and it would not surprise me if they will have the prices to match.

Take this information however you may, but that is what I have to say about it.

(Edit: correcting myself)

The price I paid was $357.98, still less then what you can get it for even now with a mail in rebate. I also should have stated idea rather then face when I brought up upgrading at a later date, and that It wouldn't happen for probably another 9 months to a year (rough estimate).

Edited by BluJay614
personal correction

Depends entirely on the games you want to play, and if you want to wait.

Want to get something now? Buy a 1070.

Fine with waiting? Wait. It won't hurt you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, BluJay614 said:

It honestly depends on what you are wanting to do and if you are willing to wait. I bought a MSI 1070 Gaming X about a month ago. Kicking myself in the pants a bit for not waiting, BUT I still paid less for it(used) then I would getting it new, even with a mail in rebate. Personally, I knew from the start that I would be getting a 1070 to start with so I could see the 10ti series and Vega, and how they preformed, as well as see what the different manufacturers come out with. I'm toying with the fact of upgrading to either a 1080ti or  a VEGA once prices and inventory settle. ONE of the things I'm going to be using the new rig for is 1440p/4k gaming(depending on where I can land settings to make things the most satisfying for me personally). If you don't want to shell out the kind of money to get a top tier graphics card, then don't. VEGA is supposed to be marketed at the Enthusiast market, and it would not surprise me if they will have the prices to match.

Take this information however you may, but that is what I have to say about it.

(Edit: correcting myself)

The price I paid was $357.98, still less then what you can get it for even now with a mail in rebate. I also should have stated idea rather then face when I brought up upgrading at a later date, and that It wouldn't happen for probably another 9 months to a year (rough estimate).

One of my Radeon R9 290x cards failed on me. A single R9 290x just isnt fast enough to push 100+ FPS @ 1440p. A good friend of mine just upgraded his GFX card to a brand new 1080 Ti, so I bought his old (not really old) Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme. So far I am impressed with the performance of the GTX 1070, overclocking over 2GHz was super easy.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

Won't a 1070 be a bit overkill for 1080p gaming? I don't think I gonna upgrade my monitor until at least next year

Also the annoying thing is that there is no intermediate between the 1060/RX 480 and the 1070 it's either 250$ or 400$ nothing around 300-350$. I don't want to go for a Fury or a 390 because of their power consumption though. 

Whether a GTX 1070 is more than needed or not depends on the games you're going to play, and the graphics settings you're going to want to play them at. A GTX 1070 can be brought to its knees in 1080p gaming, if that's your goal.

For myself, I like graphics, and I like to play games with everything maxed out. Having a GTX 1070, there are a bunch of games that I couldn't do that with, when I was using a 1920x1200 monitor (I'm using a 1440p) monitor now.

If wanting to still be playing games with high settings in 2 years, I wouldn't get a 1060 or 480.

Also, AMD's 500 series isn't Vega, though I would wait for that rather than get a 1060 or 480. The 500 cards are rumoured to release in April, so that's pretty soon. Vega is rumoured to release May 30th - but that'll be the reference cards. The aftermarket ones with better cooling, factory overclocks, and quieter fans will likely release a couple of weeks later.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 hours ago, light-v said:

Won't a 1070 be a bit overkill for 1080p gaming? I don't think I gonna upgrade my monitor until at least next year

Also the annoying thing is that there is no intermediate between the 1060/RX 480 and the 1070 it's either 250$ or 400$ nothing around 300-350$. I don't want to go for a Fury or a 390 because of their power consumption though. 

Actually you can pick up a basic 1070 from newegg for a little over 300 dollars. I would recommend it.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC