Case fans problem

MuRado
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
22 hours ago, MuRado said:

Here is a picture of what I've tried. *See Picture*

On the picture I have the 2 front fans plugged into each other using 4pin large molex, this connected to the fan on the back which using another large molex, this leading back to the CHA_FAN_2 on my mobo using 3pin

The 4pin molex connector just provides power and the psu doesn't provide any form of control. 

The 3pin connector is just for reading rpm when the 4pin molex connector is used. If you want to control the fan speed, try connecting only the 3pin fan connector.

Hello,

I got myself a new case today which included 3 fans by itself. I'm not really sure what to use but I read that I could control the fan speed when I use the PWM connectors.

So I hooked 1 fan using the PWM connector and the other 2 fans connected to the first one using Molex (MolexCeption?).

I placed the PWM on my mobo on case fan 2 and when I go into the bios it shows up, but when I lower the speed level it doesn't work. After I tried to put it on case fan 1 on the mobo but same result.

I was looking for a Zalman Fan Mate 2 but im not sure if I can plug 3 case fan's on that splitter

Anyone knows something else I can try?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 Cooling: CM 212X  MoBo: Asus Strixx B350-f  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 Black Edition  SSD: WD Blue 240GB  HDD: WD Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair RM 750x Case: Corsair Crystal 570x Mouse: Corsair Gaming Harpoon Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Headset: Corsair Gaming Void Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB MousePad: Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

the fans you got have 3-pins or 4-pins?

molex-en.png

Thank you,

The PWM connector is a 3 pin, the other 2 I connected to the first one are those big 2 pin Molex @airdeano

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 Cooling: CM 212X  MoBo: Asus Strixx B350-f  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 Black Edition  SSD: WD Blue 240GB  HDD: WD Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair RM 750x Case: Corsair Crystal 570x Mouse: Corsair Gaming Harpoon Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Headset: Corsair Gaming Void Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB MousePad: Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB

3 minutes ago, MuRado said:

Thank you,

The PWM connector is a 3 pin, the other 2 I connected to the first one are those big 2 pin Molex

Quote people so they know, or tag them @airdeano

Thank you,

The PWM connector is a 3 pin, the other 2 I connected to the first one are those big 2 pin Molex

What motherboard and fans do you have? Which header did you try plugging each fan into?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard and fans do you have? Which header did you try plugging each fan into?

I have a ASRock 970 pro3 R2, I got myself a new case which is the Sharkoon VG5-V. It has just default included 3 case fans, nothing special.

I placed the 3 pin on my cas_fan_2 first like I mentioned earlier, then I tried PWR fan 1

2 minutes ago, MuRado said:

I have a ASRock 970 pro3 R2, I got myself a new case which is the Sharkoon VG5-V. It has just default included 3 case fans, nothing special.

I placed the 3 pin on my cas_fan_2 first like I mentioned earlier, then I tried PWR fan 1

Which settings have you tried using?

CHA_FAN2 should support control for 3pin fans. PWR_FAN1 is just a powered header that runs any fan plugged into it at 100%. 

The fans plugged into your psu will just run at 100% since the psu doesn't provide any form of control. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

^^^ what he said  ^^^

none of your fans are PWM capable. so using PWM in the UEFI won't adjust fans at all.

you'll want to make the header DC (voltage) capable for fan control.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which settings have you tried using?

CHA_FAN2 should support control for 3pin fans. PWR_FAN1 is just a powered header that runs any fan plugged into it at 100%. 

The fans plugged into your psu will just run at 100% since the psu doesn't provide any form of control. 

Right, so I tried indeed changing the settings in UEFI of my case fans but it did nothing. I played a bit with the levels I could change but no result.

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

^^^ what he said  ^^^

none of your fans are PWM capable. so using PWM in the UEFI won't adjust fans at all.

you'll want to make the header DC (voltage) capable for fan control.

So the short answer is I can't lower the RPM of my case fans?

Right, so I tried indeed changing the settings in UEFI of my case fans but it did nothing. I played a bit with the levels I could change but no result.

So the short answer is I can't lower the RPM of my case fans?

Which settings have you tried? Are you sure you're adjusting the settings of the correct header?

If you're referring to your 4pin molex case fans, those cannot be controlled from your motherboard.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which settings have you tried? Are you sure you're adjusting the settings of the correct header?

If you're referring to your 4pin molex case fans, those cannot be controlled from your motherboard.

On the picture I have the 2 front fans plugged into each other using 4pin large molex, this connected to the fan on the back which using another large molex, this leading back to the CHA_FAN_2 on my mobo using 3pin

*Edit: im not totally sure if im editting the correct setting on the mobo. It only allows me to change Fan 2 inside the mobo so I only change the 'level' by lowering it back from like 7/8 to 4

DSC_0267.JPG

13 hours ago, MuRado said:

DSC_0267.JPG

Yeah... that doesn't work. Mobo can only control normal fan headers. The ones 1-3 from left in @airdeano's pic. The fan with both molex and 3pin header isn't suppose to move power from fan. Molex is alternative power connector. You either have 3pin connected or molex connected. So in short, fans using big molex (one on the right in airdeanos pic) can't be controlled with mobo or any other fan controller. You are better buying fans with normal connectors.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, MuRado said:

The 4pin molex connector just provides power and the psu doesn't provide any form of control. 

The 3pin connector is just for reading rpm when the 4pin molex connector is used. If you want to control the fan speed, try connecting only the 3pin fan connector.