Using an ITX Case, go for reference blower or wait for partner card? (re: 1080 Ti)

So I'm contemplating selling my GTX 1080 and going with a 1080 Ti. Ordinarily I wouldn't do this but I'm SO CLOSE to being able to hit 4K/60 at settings I'm happy with that I know the Ti will push me over the edge. I have a TV that's 4K/60Hz and FHD/120hz (Vizio P55). Some games I like to play at 1080P due to the higher refresh rate and I know the 1080 TI will not have a problem maintaining 120Hz in said games. I digress...

My question is, should I wait for a partner board with a better cooler or just go for the reference design card? For most people I think the answer is obvious, the partner coolers are superior in every way shape and form IF you're going to SLI or have an ATX or mATX case. My use case is a bit different though. I'm gaming using a Phanteks Evolv ITX and I have maybe 3/4" to 1" of clearance between the bottom of my GPU and the PSU basement of the case. The card I have right now (EVGA GTX 1080 FTW) already runs hot in this case even with the fans running very high. 80°C easy at fan speeds well over 80%.

So do you think that in my case, the blower cooler would actually be better? I have adequate case cooling. As adequate as is possible at least, w/ two Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans in the front as intakes and a low profile fan in back as exhaust. This is what my config looks like right now:

lEerUnc.jpg

So yeah, what do you think? Am I still better off going with a non-reference card? The good thing about a reference card is that I'm sure there will be aftermarket AIO coolers that will fit. Not so if I go with a custom PCB from ASUS or MSI. I think I'm done with EVGA after this card.

My personal opinion for any Mini Itx system is go with a blower style card (ie. reference design). There is a lot of heat being pushed around in such a small area that there really isn't any point to an open air cooler like the one in your picture.

Wait for blower AIB. 

Blower. You need something that blows the heat out of your case, not circulating its own heat in said case like your ITX.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

You might want to consider a water cooled card like the MSI sea hawk cards and put the rad in the front, but if you don't want to do that then just go for the reference.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Wait for blower AIB. 

Are AIB blowers generally superior to the reference designed blowers? This is something I've never seen someone recommend. I thought the partner blower cards existed more or less as a slightly cheaper but similarly performing alternative to the reference cards.

17 minutes ago, MR.awesome1 said:

My personal opinion for any Mini Itx system is go with a blower style card (ie. reference design). There is a lot of heat being pushed around in such a small area that there really isn't any point to an open air cooler like the one in your picture.

Yes. Blowers push air out of the case through the vent holes where the HDMI/DP plugs are. But that also means that it traps air in the GPU longer so it get just a little hotter than custom cards. But the trade off is that all your other components stay cooler.

6 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Yes. Blowers push air out of the case through the vent holes where the HDMI/DP plugs are. But that also means that it traps air in the GPU longer so it get just a little hotter than custom cards. But the trade off is that all your other components stay cooler.

I generally don't have an issue with the cooling of other components. My biggest concerns are w/ the performance of the GPU and noise.

IMHO  you could go:

1) buy an Aio partner card and put it where you intake fan is

2) buy a blower style card, one form partners : the difference is that the FE has a 62mm fan, while 3rd parties  use 80mm fan

3) buy a 700w sfx-l power supply  ( silverstone) it comes with an adapter for full size atx case, so you will earn  another 1cm of room so you can buy a normal multi  fan card ( more complicated  and expensive route)

It's not the PSU that's getting in the way. It's the shroud on the case. An SFX PSU wouldn't really make much of, if any difference.

I'm trying to find a partner blower card that uses an 80MM fan. It's hard to tell from pics and none of them seem to list that in the spec sheet.

Consider getting a hybrid card (EVGA hybrid or MSI SeaHawk) or else get the founders edition.

Ryzen  5 3600 | ASUS Strix B450i Strix | G-Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200mhz

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb | NZXT H200i | NZXT x52 | Corsair RM650x

The main problem here is that particular case. The evolv mini has a very restrictive intake. I would swap to a define nano s (I actually have one I'm selling ?). Pascal cards don't usually run hot and I've seen people run then in a define nano s with no heat issues, even the AIB cards. If you swap to a nano s, you should be able to use any 1080 ti of your choice. The reason I swapped to a mini c is because AMD cards run hotter and need that airflow. My stock temps were great, averaging 67c. I only ran into problems when i tried to overclock.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit