RYZEN Vs Intel for streaming and 1080p 60fps gaming

So I'm helping some of my old teachers from high school build a streaming PC, they game on console, one of the two already has a capture card, but they do not have a computer powerful enough to even use the capture software.

Cutting to the point, I'm not sure what processor to go with. We don't know about budget yet (we're expecting maybe $1000 at most, including a few hundred in peripherals, but there's still no telling), and probably won't for a while, but I want to get an idea of how much power we'll actually need so we don't go overboard on that part of the budget. The primary purpose of the computer is streaming, they'll be using software like OBS, Elgato Capture Software (with Stream Command), and Strexm and/or other similar software. Eventually, the system should also be also capable of 1080p 60fps gaming + streaming, I'm considering the GTX 1050 Ti as I've heard it's a pretty good 1080p gaming GPU for the price, though it might not go into the system immediately, relying on internal graphics if we go Intel.

So the big question is what is the best CPU for the job? It will likely be the most expensive part of this build, so I'd like to know the best processor for the job without going overkill. I'm considering the i5-7600 (They almost certainly won't be overclocking) or perhaps a Ryzen 5 CPU, whenever they come out. I'm leaning Ryzen for it's increased streaming performance, but leaning Intel for the integrated graphics, meaning we could skip the GPU and add it later.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and if you need me to clarify anything please let me know! (Also, first post on the forums!)

btw 7500 and 7600 are essentially the same, go for the cheaper one

cheap b250 board would cost you about $70USD

gaming + streaming 6700 or 7700 locked with a 1070 would hit about $1000

idk

I should clarify, the budget is going to INCLUDE a few hundred dollars in peripherals, and we'll probably be forgoing an SSD to cut costs, unless that is an absolutely terrible idea, in which we would go small SSD first, then add a 1TB drive later on. Whatever the budget it, subtract ~200-300 or so.

8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

ryzen 1700, a i5 will get destroyed in streaming, also get a r9 fury or rx480 8gb for your gpu. 

I agree, for streaming you have to go with the ryzen 1700 the i5 wouldn't do it for you. for gpu it depends what games they will be running and at what settings. Might be better off going with AMD to be more budget friendly. I'm not a big fan of the 1050 ti, but that's mostly because I play demanding games like fallout 4 and overwatch on max settings. 

Either of these will do the job really well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($295.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($17.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ Video Card  ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $903.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 01:48 EST-0500

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($328.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $916.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 01:50 EST-0500

6 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

I should clarify, the budget is going to INCLUDE a few hundred dollars in peripherals, and we'll probably be forgoing an SSD to cut costs, unless that is an absolutely terrible idea, in which we would go small SSD first, then add a 1TB drive later on. Whatever the budget it, subtract ~200-300 or so.

DO NOT CUT COST ON THE SSD! If you do that they will think you made them a crapo-pc because the system will take forever to load or hang just from doing even the most simple task. 

Just now, Pachuca said:

I agree, for streaming you have to go with the ryzen 1700 the i5 wouldn't do it for you. for gpu it depends what games they will be running and at what settings. Might be better off going with AMD to be more budget friendly. I'm not a big fan of the 1050 ti, but that's mostly because I play demanding games like fallout 4 and overwatch on max settings. 

The i5 for just streaming is fine, but gaming and streaming might not be so fine.  I have not tried "ReLive" streaming, but I would assume it would have some perfomance taken away from the GPU as it is based on using the GPU to record and stream.  For $100 more, the i7 or Ryzen 1700 is a good investment for your purpose.

I am limited to 720p/30PFS streaming when playing Minecraft and streaming to YouTube.  I encode on the CPU though.  So that's:  The game (Minecraft), the encoding, and the viewing of the stream on a second monitor all on the CPU.

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Either of these will do the job really well:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($295.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($17.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $903.31
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 01:48 EST-0500

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($328.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $916.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 01:50 EST-0500

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($295.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($99.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB NITRO Video Card  ($256.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $942.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 01:56 EST-0500

Little over, but you get a Fury - insane power consumption = insane performance

idk

So from what most people have said so far, the consensus is either go with an i7 7700 or Ryzen 1700, which if it's between those two I may as well go for the 7700, since it's slightly cheaper and has integrated graphics. And thanks Pachuca for the SSD tip, my personal rig (prebuilt, before I knew about the wonders of PC building) is running a 2 TB Toshiba HDD alone, so I don't really know how fast an SSD will be by comparison, so I'll opt for a small SSD first then add a hard drive later.

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

The i5 for just streaming is fine, but gaming and streaming might not be so fine.  I have not tried "ReLive" streaming, but I would assume it would have some perfomance taken away from the GPU as it is based on using the GPU to record and stream.  For $100 more, the i7 or Ryzen 1700 is a good investment for your purpose.

I am limited to 720p/30PFS streaming when playing Minecraft and streaming to YouTube.  I encode on the CPU though.  So that's:  The game (Minecraft), the encoding, and the viewing of the stream on a second monitor all on the CPU.

I couldn't stand playing in 30fps, I get upset if my gpu nears 40fps lol. 

Just now, Droidbot said:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($295.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($99.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB NITRO Video Card  ($256.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $942.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-11 01:56 EST-0500

Little over, but you get a Fury - insane power consumption = insane performance

I think my builds are more than he wants to spend on the tower.

He'll probably drop the SSD and the RX 480 for a GTX 1050Ti.

5 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

DO NOT CUT COST ON THE SSD! If you do that they will think you made them a crapo-pc because the system will take forever to load or hang just from doing even the most simple task. 

Not really-cheap SSD just don't last as long (or only have read speeds faster than a HDD while getting rekt in writes. Eg. OEM Sandisk U100)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Pachuca said:

I couldn't stand playing in 30fps, I get upset if my gpu nears 40fps lol. 

I don't play at 30 FPS... my stream is outputting at 30FPS to Youtube.  My game is locked at 60FPS.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I think my builds are more than he wants to spend on the tower.

He'll probably drop the SSD and the RX 480 for a GTX 1050Ti.

Dropping an SSD only gimps the rig in the end. Everyone in my family would agree with me when I say that after using an SSD for Windows+main programs instead of a HDD, there is no going back (I've been slowly either adding SSD to their desktops or replacing the HDD in their laptops).

PMSL

So hypothetically, with an i7-7700 and a GTX 1050Ti, could they get simultaneous 1080p/60fps gaming and streaming? They would likely start with only a 60Hz monitor, so maybe an average of 50fps would be acceptable, and not a lot of fancy graphics affects like MSAA and the like. 

Unfortunately, what games they would decide to play are totally up in the air, though for starters they would probably play Destiny 2, as Destiny is their primary game on PS4 at the moment.

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Dropping an SSD only gimps the rig in the end. Everyone in my family would agree with me when I say that after using an SSD for Windows+main programs instead of a HDD, there is no going back (I've been slowly either adding SSD to their desktops or replacing the HDD in their laptops).

You don't have to tell me.  I have been using a 240GB SSD in my PC for three years now.  I would never go back.  I don't even keep my storage drives in my PC anymore.

@Ahajha  Using an SSD makes an immediate impact on the general performance of the PC... from the moment you turn it on.

Just now, Ahajha said:

So hypothetically, with an i7-7700 and a GTX 1050Ti, could they get simultaneous 1080p/60fps gaming and streaming? They would likely start with only a 60Hz monitor, so maybe an average of 50fps would be acceptable, and not a lot of fancy graphics affects like MSAA and the like. 

Unfortunately, what games they would decide to play are totally up in the air, though for starters they would probably play Destiny 2, as Destiny is their primary game on PS4 at the moment.

Yes. However with anything from the Ryzen 7 line would be able to handle gaming+streaming better due to the core and thread count.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

You don't have to tell me.  I have been using a 240GB SSD in my PC for three years now.  I would never go back.  I don't even keep my storage drives in my PC anymore.

@Ahajha  Using an SSD makes an immediate impact on the general performance of the PC... from the moment you turn it on.

I've even found that an SSD greatly increases the speed of pages loading in all browsers-even with 8 or 16GB of DDR3 1333/1400.

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

The 1050Ti will be the limiting factor when playing games at higher quality/60FPS.  You will have to tinker with settings for any demanding title... Trust me, I spend around 10 minutes with each game to get my settings just right.

11 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I don't play at 30 FPS... my stream is outputting at 30FPS to Youtube.  My game is locked at 60FPS.

What's your stream?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The big question is if we go with the Ryzen 1700, what would be the cheapest way to get basic graphics out if it? It wouldn't have much load on it, mostly just viewing chat and the programs, but SOMETHING has to be there. 

11 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

What's your stream?

lol, I only stream for my niece... she liked MC.  So I streamed from early stage to dragon.

My sound was messed up on the first stream.  I was talking to her on the phone. 

I forgot I am running this on a server, on the same PC... so that is another core gone.

@ivan134  I set it to the dragon fight... the 40 minute dragon fight... lol... if you are tremendously bored.  xD

3 minutes ago, Ahajha said:

The big question is if we go with the Ryzen 1700, what would be the cheapest way to get basic graphics out if it? It wouldn't have much load on it, mostly just viewing chat and the programs, but SOMETHING has to be there. 

I thought you're buying a GPU too?

To keep upfront costs low, we may forgo a GPU at first if possible. This was one of the big points of Intel, is that they're going to have graphics with the CPU.