Vega hits Compubench

jasonc_01

Vega just popped up on Compubench, and it looks to be good but is still Reckt by the new 1080ti.

So are we looking at another Radeon line thats competing with Nvidia's former king, the gtx1080 a year to late? 

Looks that way, as it seems to fall in to gtx1080 performance territory. 

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-vega-compute-units-revealed-compubench/

AMD’s upcoming Radeon RX Vega graphics cards for enthusiasts appear to be nearing their retail release, as a Vega-based GPU appeared on CompuBench. It is listed using the AMD 687F:C1 device ID, the same number that was seen during AMD’s Vega-based Doom Ultra 4K demonstration in January. Thus, there is speculation that the Radeon RX Vega family may arrive in weeks given that near-completed graphics chips typically show up on CompuBench just before their official release.

The benchmark also lists two maximum speeds of 1,000MHz and 1,200MHz, indicating a possible raw computing performance of 8.2 TFLOPS and 9.8 TFLOPS, respectively. By comparison, Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 1070 has a raw computing performance of 6.5 TFLOPS and the GTX 1080 has 8.9 TFLOPS of performance.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

rip night theme users kinda

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

rip night theme users kinda

As a multiple year long night theme user, I still haven't got used to these kind of posts. It's the cancer of this forum. Lol.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I hate it when they compare TFLOPs... I'm just like... THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I hate it when they compare TFLOPs... I'm just like... THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!

THAT'S NOT A POINT OF COMPARISON, DUMMY

AMD FineWineTM Technology will come in clutch and push V E G A over the line

idk

That's not surprising, at least to me.  I predicted long ago it would be around a 1080, varying (of course) if you're talking about Vulkan or non-Vulkan tests.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, bakidota said:

vega was never designed to beat 1080ti, it was designed to go head to head vs 1080gtx

Nobody knows where Vega will land, what we do know is that it has 64 compute units, (4096 Stream processors), its the same gpu used in the MI25 which AMD says has 12.5 teraflops, for it to hit 12.5 teraflops it would need a core clock of about 1525 megahertz, we also know that Vega has a lot of new software tricks such as something similar to tile-based rasterization like Nvidia cards now, so the teraflop value is useless compared to previous gen AMD cards, in theory it should be much closer to a 12.5 tflop Nvidia card now, but nobody can say for sure because nobody except AMD knows how efficient their new software tricks are.

Hold on, if the Fury X (same number of shaders) could do 8.6 TFOPS at 1000 MHz, and this new card is gonna do 8.2 TFLOPS at that speed... the IPC has gone down? 

nvm I guess they've changed enough you can't compare them like that

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hold on, if the Fury X (same number of shaders) could do 8.6 TFOPS at 1000 MHz, and this new card is gonna do 8.2 TFLOPS at that speed... the IPC has gone down?

Why not eh? Not like IPC matter anyway :P 

/s 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Fury X is 1050 mhz which is 8.6 teraflops this card is 8 teraflops at 1000mhz and 9.8 at 1200 mhz. The card in this compubench test is surely downclocked, the RX 480 also appeared on compubench before it launched at a blistering 800mhz iirc.

2 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

Fury X is 1050 mhz which is 8.6 teraflops this card is 8 teraflops at 1000mhz and 9.8 at 1200 mhz. The card in this compubench test is surely downclocked, the RX 480 also appeared on compubench before it launched at a blistering 800mhz iirc.

I had heard it was 1000 MHz despite what the website said ... interesting; that 50 MHz is enough to make the difference (enough that it means IPC is the same as before)

So.. AMD said to share holders they are releasing a "580". If they release a 580 to reach 1070+ levels of performance at the MSRP of a 480 then ok... This is one Vega card of what.. the 2 or 3 different dies from Vega? Doesn't matter how it performs... price is the determining factor.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Oh but wait for:

1) DX12

2) drivers 

3) No not THAT DX12 game others like AOTS and....wait for the API to mature and devs to git gud! 

4) No not those drivers. Not those either...it takes like a year for them to mature! 

Ah the joys of AMD future proofing. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I had heard it was 1000 MHz despite what the website said ... interesting; that 50 MHz is enough to make the difference (enough that it means IPC is the same as before)

Im not sure about ipc in gpus, i do know that Polaris for instance is about 20% faster on average than previous generations at the same clockspeeds (somebody did a test between 380x and 470 clocked identically) There are far more important things like keeping the rasterizers and rops fed (this is where Vega gets most of its changes), as for teraflops that value is pretty much just stream processor count times two times clockspeed, so the Fury X is (4096)(2)(1050)=8,601,600 flops or 8.6 teraflops.

Just now, LeStringMan said:

Im not sure about ipc in gpus, i do know that Polaris for instance is about 20% faster on average than previous generations at the same clockspeeds (somebody did a test between 380x and 470 clocked identically) There are far more important things like keeping the rasterizers and rops fed (this is where Vega gets most of its changes), as for teraflops that value is pretty much just stream processor count times two times clockspeed, so the Fury X is (4096)(2)(1050)=8,601,600 flops or 8.6 teraflops.

Oh, totally.  When it comes to determining the actual gaming ability of the card there's a ton of other stuff that we need to factor in.  I was just surprised to see what seemed like a regression in one of the many factors, but it turns out it's equal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they are coming to fight the GTX 1080, unless they are gonna sell it for 1060 price, its gonna fall really deep into the deep and be left in there lol.

Groomlake Authority

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh but wait for:

1) DX12

2) drivers 

3) No not THAT DX12 game others like AOTS and....wait for the API to mature and devs to git gud! 

4) No not those drivers. Not those either...it takes like a year for them to mature! 

Is AMD bashing fun? Do I get free stuff if I join in?

2 minutes ago, TechGod said:

This could be small Vega. 

#JustSayin

We can only hope :D That would mean the big one would be even better, which is always good 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

We can only hope :D That would mean the big one would be even better, which is always good 

I hope so too because otherwise Vega will fail if the big chip can't compete with the Ti

54 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

THAT'S NOT A POINT OF COMPARISON, DUMMY

AMD FineWineTM Technology will come in clutch and push V E G A over the line

I honestly hate FineWine Technology. It'd be better to just have those optimizations at the beginning like Nvidia than slowly roll them out over time. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

29 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Why not eh? Not like IPC matter anyway :P 

/s 

and thats why a Sempron 145 @ 7GHz  is the best CPU for games! who needs IPC when you have the gigely hertz! /s

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh but wait for:

1) DX12

2) drivers 

Though AMD is apparently working on good day 1 drivers... We can only hope.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats