AMD Ryzen "Quad-Core" Config Tested vs i7-7700k

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

here it shows real cpu performance also

He meant actual CPU GAMING performance....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

here it shows real cpu performance also

That's an unrealistic test for gaming, but it does show the multi-threaded performance.

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

It is not. But how will you know if a CPU is good for gaming if you are INTENTIONALLY creating a GPU bottleneck?

i know i am just saying, most people are happy with 60 fps 1080p,1440p,4k or 120 fps 1080p,1440p,4k. most people dont have 144hz or 240hz 1080p monitor. 

i know i am just saying, most people are happy with 60 fps 1080p,1440p,4k or 120 fps 1080p,1440p,4k. most people dont have 144hz or 240hz 1080p monitor. 

OK............ Would you want to buy a CPU to get your GPU bottlenecked? I sure wouldn't....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, huilun02 said:

People instantly forget that they don't play on benchmark test systems.

Try comparing game perf when you have a load of crap running in the background, running 1440p without a 1080 or Titan XP.

That is a more realistic use case. Bottleneck will fall on the GPU and background stuff will be taken care of by Ryzen's extra cores.

And then do that all over again for productivity software.

Yeah the 7700K is a formula one car. It dominates on the race track. But no, people don't drive on race tracks. We'd much rather have something more practical for everyday use. Ryzen may not be some supercar but it is definitely no slouch, able to haul some serious work.

that's the point, benchmarks have values but not over everything, you have to take in cost, capability, optimization and many others factors. 

Just now, huilun02 said:

Try comparing game perf when you have a load of crap running in the background

The 7700K isn't maxed out in most games... CPU usage usually hovers around 60-70% on the 7700K....

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Try comparing game perf when you have a load of crap running in the background, running 1440p without a 1080 or Titan XP.

That is a more realistic use case. Bottleneck will fall on the GPU and background stuff will be taken care of by Ryzen's extra cores.

And then do that all over again for productivity software. If you think all people care about is benchmarking, grinding 1080p with some unaffordable GPU, you need to get real.

Yeah the 7700K is a formula one car. It dominates on the race track. But no, people don't drive on race tracks. We'd much rather have something more practical for everyday use. Ryzen may not be some supercar but it is definitely no slouch, able to haul some serious work.

Valid argument.

that's the point, benchmarks have values but not over everything, you have to take in cost, capability, optimization and many others factors. 

The 7700K is cheaper than the 1700X and the 1800X... The 7700K is more capable in games than Ryzen. Ryzen is more capable than the 7700K in productivity tasks... Optimization? You do know that most games are optimized for 4C/8T CPUs, right? 

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

And then do that all over again for productivity software.

The 1800X launches and everyone suddenly thinks they have workloads that need 8 cores.  o.O

The only scenario where I see buying Ryzen would be someone who was shopping for a 6900K and then wants to trade $500 savings for a more unreliable platform.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The 7700K is cheaper than the 1700X and the 1800X... The 7700K is more capable in games than Ryzen. Ryzen is more capable than the 7700K in productivity tasks... Optimization? You do know that most games are optimized for 4C/8T CPUs, right? 

is a 7700k cheaper than a 1700 and performs multitasking better? can it play all games at least 1440p 60fps 1080p 60fps 1440p 60fps? than its not a i5 and its a good cpu that will work for a lot of people. for pure gaming a 7700k is the best but for work/ gaming a ryzen or x99 can't be beat. 

work/ gaming

For work first and gaming second, sure. But for strictly gaming, just get an i7.

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

The 1800X launches and everyone suddenly thinks they have workloads that need 8 cores.  o.O

The only scenario where I see buying Ryzen would be someone who was shopping for a 6900K and then wants to trade $500 savings for a more unreliable platform.

...its a new platform also a 500 usd cpu that performs better/ keeps pace with a 1k cpu is impressive, its not "unreliable". 

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

That's an unrealistic test for gaming, but it does show the multi-threaded performance.

Well that's quite realistic for me. Heh. But my fps dips. 

PLEASE 

Someone with a 7700K do this pointless test for me 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

38 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

AMD had the EXACT same argument with Bulldozer and well... We know how that went.... Don't bank on developers optimizing for Ryzen...

Precisely. I don't understand why people keep saying to wait 6 months or whatever period, in order for developers to optimize for Ryzen.

What people fail to understand is that the current games and programs almost 100% won't get any patches whatsoever for Ryzen. Plus this is a CPU, not a GPU where you can actually optimize it later with drives.

So you can only bank on future programs and games getting optimized for Ryzen, which no one knows if it will happen. You can only look at Bulldozer and ... yeah.

Buying Ryzen right now is a gamble.

14 minutes ago, Vode said:

These results are not saying much because of the difference in Cachesize compared to the actual Ryzen Quadcores...

I think this is WCCFs write up of the test...  If this is correct, as a part of the testing, they disabled half of the L3 cache to make it a 4 core 8MB L3 system.  Of course as a part of the test, they also set the Clock speeds of the modified R7 and 7700k equivalent, so it is more of an IPC comparison...  Intel still has a slight IPC edge (although probably not as comfortable as they would like) and can still reach higher effective clock speeds, which is where the 7700k does shine.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4-core-benchmarks-intel-core-i7-7700k/

21 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It's lovely for multi-boxing in MMOs though :D

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

And no, the onus is on the OS/software provider to optimize and properly work with new hardware. AMD is a hardware, not software business

I think AMD does have some responsibility to go to developers as well and explain that they need to have optimizations for their new architecture/hardware.  Some developers stop providing any kinds of patches and optimizations after a certain amount of market time has passed for their product.  Mainly because they are working on releasing their next iteration.  Other times, developers may not realize that their software will have an issue with an architecture change of a this scale.   

This thread really went to shit.

Once again, I'll repeat what I've said far too many times: Ryzen's rollout was meant to compete with Haswell/Broadwell IPC-wise. And it does that really well FWIW. Comparing it to Kaby Lake is frankly only useful to see how far it's "behind".

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

It is essentially an i5 for gaming compared to Intel's current i7 CPUs.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It isn't utter shit for gaming... Jay didn't compare it to an i7 or an i5. He said that he got perfectly playable framerates with Ryzen, not that he got FPS that was on par with an i7....

1 hour ago, Memories4K said:

Pretty much most benchmarks had it around the performance of a 7600k/6600k.
So if it's not on par with an i7, well you can bet the next best thing is an i5,
I don't know how Ryzen has changed since launch, hopefully for the better, but i'm not going to argue against the fact that when it comes to gaming that Ryzen's performance has been most marked at the i5 level.

I've heard great things about Ryzen being "smoother" (better frametimes for sure, which is rad) but that doesn't change anything about the frame-rate that's comparable to the i5.

Ehm.. some of you need to notice something. Ryzen excels in what they originally marketed it as. Broadwell-E IPC and multi-threaded workloads at a much lower cost.

Also there are issues right now... be it we ALL expected issues with AM4. It is a new platform and a brand new architecture. Jay stated this a little bit before launch date. Once these issues are fixed... the 1700 will be MUCH closer to the 6700k in terms of performance. Also... while multitasking ect.. the 1700 could see smoother frame rate while gaming. Most of these benchmarks are done on near fresh installs of W10 with little to no background applications running.

To name the two major issues... W10 Scheduler seeing the 16T's as cores and not threads and RAM having issues at higher speeds. These 2 are the main culprits of it and also... The 1700 has much more head room. In the long term, if you expect to keep this CPU for 2+ years the 1700 will likely be the better buy. In programs like Cinebench where it utilizes the threads correctly despite the issue show how much potential Ryzen has as it clearly is on-par with the 6900k. If IPC was that far behind, it would be losing to the 6900k in multi-threaded work loads.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ehm.. some of you need to notice something. Ryzen excels in what they originally marketed it as. Broadwell-E IPC and multi-threaded workloads at a much lower cost.

They did market it as the perfect gaming CPU.....

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

The 1700 has much more head room. In the long term, if you expect to keep this CPU for 2+ years the 1700 will likely be the better buy.

Let me check my crystal ball...

34 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Has X99's performance changed?

Has the X99 platform matured to the point where using DDR4 is no longer a shit storm? Yep 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Has the X99 platform matured to the point where using DDR4 is no longer a shit storm? Yep 

Yes! But performance has not changed. This was my point ;)

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Let me check my crystal ball...

No fucking crystal ball needed. It is an 8c/16t CPU with IPC levels of Broadwell-E at just about 65% cheaper. When gaming and the 1700 is sitting at 40-50% usage it clearly shows that it can do much more. With microcode, W10 scheduler to be fixed and the RAM issue... It will pull ahead MUCH closer to the 7700k and even then... AMD NEVER marketed it at Kaby IPC. Also... As many have reported.. gaming on the 1700 was a "smoother" experience due to less drops ect

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

They did market it as the perfect gaming CPU.....

Originally marketed it as.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

No fucking crystal ball needed. It is an 8c/16t CPU with IPC levels of Broadwell-E at just about 65% cheaper. When gaming and the 1700 is sitting at 40-50% usage it clearly shows that it can do much more.

But how do you know that games will be able to use this additional 50%?

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Originally marketed it as.

So they did market it as...

Eh, I think 6 cores will be a happy medium specially since apparently without those other 2 cores it will probably clock significantly higher making up for enough of the IPC disadvantage that it would make sense. At least I hope that ends up being the case.

-------

Current Rig

-------