anybody uses Noctua NH-D15 with mini-itx ?

oldnick

I will  build a custom case for my mini-itx system "i7 6700k" and want to know the exact height of the cooler with low profile ram installed "vengeance lpx" to be exact

the height of the case will be the same as the tower cooler and i dont want to waste more space than i need to 

i will be using my 212 evo for now but will upgrade for Noctua NH-D15 in the coming months and i want my case to be big enough for that cooler without wasting more space "to get the smallest possible case" for this scenario  

the pic i attached seems somewhat off (how can the total height is 165mm and the ram clearance 32mm) doesnt that mean the fan size is 133mm (yet at noctua website it is 140mm*150mm)

so how much height do i really need from the cpu die to the top of my case for this cooler ?

nh_d15_clearance_2016.png

mini itx builds aren't really good with cooling. I recommend you use an L9i.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Have you ever heard of Google? It's this magical thing that you can use to research the information you need.

Literally the first result: http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

2 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

Have you ever heard of Google? It's this magical thing that you can use to research the information you need.

i know i have seen this pic before 

please read the updated topic 

3 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

This a forum where people come to for help... He obviously knows how tall the cooler is... or did you miss the picture he put in his post?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

40 minutes ago, oldnick said:

I will  build a custom case for my mini-itx system "i7 6700k" and want to know the exact height of the cooler with low profile ram installed "vengeance lpx" to be exact

the height of the case will be the same as the tower cooler and i dont want to waste more space than i need to 

i will be using my 212 evo for now but will upgrade for Noctua NH-D15 in the coming months and i want my case to be big enough for that cooler without wasting more space "to get the smallest possible case" for this scenario  

the pic i attached seems somewhat off (how can the total height is 165mm and the ram clearance 32mm) doesnt that mean the fan size is 133mm (yet at noctua website it is 140mm*150mm)

so how much height do i really need from the cpu die to the top of my case for this cooler ?

to be safe i would say 185-190 mm or make it a round 200 from the bottom of the Mobo tray 

Just now, UMxMarky94 said:

to be safe i would say 185-190 mm or make it a round 200 from the bottom of the Mobo tray 

i thought about that but if the cooler is actually 165mm then it will be a waste of space for SFF case

i wish somebody has the same cooler and fan tells us the dimensions 

Just now, oldnick said:

i thought about that but if the cooler is actually 165mm then it will be a waste of space for SFF case

i wish somebody has the same cooler and fan tells us the dimensions 

however i'm taking into account the height of the mobo from the tray (which can be between 1-5mm) and thrown in some spare space as a manufacturing tolerances to make sure it fits

Just now, UMxMarky94 said:

however i'm taking into account the height of the mobo from the tray (which can be between 1-5mm) and thrown in some spare space as a manufacturing tolerances to make sure it fits

i will be adding the cooler height from the top of the cpu die not from the surface of the case "so the stands off and the mobo and cpu height will be already calculated" 

but since i dont have the cooler and will not buy it any time soon i have to get the measurement from someone else 

1 hour ago, oldnick said:

I actually measured this once and it's 160mm from the bottom coldplate to top of the heatpipe, this when the middle fan is lowered as low as possible.
In my case the ram sat below the finstack cutout, so ram clearance is actually 64mm, at least with motherboards I've used this cooler.

Also I have never managed to use the second fan because of the close 24pin wiring location in case of 95% of M-ITX motherboards, or even if you manage to bend the cable enough and raise the fan, the total height gets over 180mm.

7 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

I actually measured this once and it's 160mm from the bottom coldplate to top of the heatpipe, this when the middle fan is lowered as low as possible.
In my case the ram sat below the finstack cutout, so ram clearance is actually 64mm, at least with motherboards I've used this cooler.

Also I have never managed to use the second fan because of the close 24pin wiring location in case of 95% of M-ITX motherboards, or even if you manage to bend the cable enough and raise the fan, the total height gets over 180mm.

what motherboard and case do you have ? also do you think using 120mm fan will be wise ?

i have asus Z170I PRO GAMING

Just now, oldnick said:

what motherboard and case do you have ?

The ram clearance scenario was all the same with these motherboards:
ASRock H81M-ITX
EVGA Z97 Stinger Core3D
Asus Maximus VI Impact

Cases I used were Fractal Node304 and Nano S, none of these had any issues with the cooler.

4 minutes ago, oldnick said:

i have asus Z170I PRO GAMING

In the case of this board the 24pin is located at the top right corner so you might be able to use the second fan.

1 minute ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

The ram clearance scenario was all the same with these motherboards:
ASRock H81M-ITX
EVGA Z97 Stinger Core3D
Asus Maximus VI Impact

Cases I used were Fractal Node304 and Nano S, none of these had any issues with the cooler.

In the case of this board the 24pin is located at the top right corner so you might be able to use the second fan.

do you mean in mini-itx mobo the ram sticks will always be under the fin arrays instead of being under the fan ?  

Just now, oldnick said:

do you mean in mini-itx mobo the ram sticks will always be under the fin arrays instead of being under the fan ?  

Yeah I think it's the same standard with all M-ITX boards, unless it's some weird special design like X99E-ITX. They have just specified the clearance there in case you got an ATX motherboard and install RAM to the 3rd and 4th slots.

23 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

Yeah I think it's the same standard with all M-ITX boards, unless it's some weird special design like X99E-ITX. They have just specified the clearance there in case you got an ATX motherboard and install RAM to the 3rd and 4th slots.

i see 

so i should be worried about the atx power connector instead !

1 minute ago, oldnick said:

does the cooler support using 120mm fan (i think if i cant install the second fan i will be using 120mm fan instead of leaving it with only one fan)

Yes the fan uses 120mm fan mounting holes, but I've done some testing with and without the second fan and there was max. 2°C difference, but with the second fan it makes more noise in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

Yes the fan uses 120mm fan mounting holes, but I've done some testing with and without the second fan and there was max. 2°C difference, but with the second fan it makes more noise in my opinion.

good to know

do you think 170mm clearance from the top of the cpu die to the case top cover will be enough? (i will try to use the orignal second fan but if i couldnt i may use 120mm fan or just leave it empty since there is no much difference)

1 minute ago, oldnick said:

do you think 170mm clearance from the top of the cpu die to the case top cover will be enough? (i will try to use the orignal second fan but if i couldnt i may use 120mm fan or just leave it empty since there is no much difference)

I'm sure it's more than enough at least with only the middle fan attached. My Nano S case had no issues at all accommodating the cooler, and according to Fractal it has "up to 160mm" cooler height clearance.

1 minute ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

I'm sure it's more than enough at least with only the middle fan attached. My Nano S case had no issues at all accommodating the cooler, and according to Fractal it has "up to 160mm" cooler height clearance.

nice 

if you dont mind me asking what cpu do you use and how much did you overclocked with this cooler ?

9 minutes ago, oldnick said:

if you dont mind me asking what cpu do you use and how much did you overclocked with this cooler ?

i7 4790K but it's delidded, with this cooler it was fine till about 4.9GHz / ~1.3 vcore, after that border it starts to get quite hot; about 75°C during video encoding.

4 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

i7 4790K but it's delidded, with this cooler it was fine till about 4.9GHz / ~1.3 vcore, after that border it starts to get quite hot; about 75°C during video encoding.

i think this is pretty good for mini-itx system and  only one fan cooler

good luck

8 hours ago, oldnick said:

good to know

The heatsink itself is 160mm tall and that's all the clearance you need. A 120mm fan won't require any more clearance. 

You can alternatively just move the fan to the other side of the cooler in pull or remove it and just go with one fan. 

Despite its name, Corsair LPX fan is standard and height and not low profile ram--that's marketing for you. The reason why it fits with pretty much every cooler is because all coolers are designed with standard height ram in mind.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 in an mITX case (Phanteks Evolv ITX). I disagree with people who say ITX have bad cooling (at least on the CPU side of things). #notallitxcases

64°C @ 4.7Ghz and ~1.4 VCORE

Side panel closed.

8.jpg

5.jpg