AMD open source friendly? Libreboot doesn't think so

56 minutes ago, zMeul said:

how about you do some research on your own?! eh ..

there are hour+ long TED talks about these issues, and not since yesteday

Since you can't seem to provide any sources to the requested information. You're essentially saying we should just take your word for it?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

11 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Who cares? Does anyone really care about Libreboot?

I don't haha. It's a BIOS. What's wrong with UEFI or the standard one?

I'd rather have one that works and chosen by the manufacturer, than one that could be more prone to malicious actions.

At this point I think zMeul has a hard on for AMD xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Just now, Lazmarr said:

What's wrong with UEFI or the standard one?

Closed source.

Just now, Lazmarr said:

I'd rather have one that works and chosen by the manufacturer, than one that could be more prone to malicious actions.

Why do you think Libreboot is more prone to malicious actions? If anything, it should be less prone to malicious actions because it actually puts the users in control of what is running on their computer. Right now, it could be doing malicious actions towards you and you would have no idea, nor any way of detecting it.

5 minutes ago, Lazmarr said:

Since you can't seem to provide any sources to the requested information. You're essentially saying we should just take your word for it?

I'm also quoting an article from LibreBoot, have you even bothered?! guess not

ITT: Double standards because whatever AMD does is justified

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

55 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Closed source.

Why do you think Libreboot is more prone to malicious actions? If anything, it should be less prone to malicious actions because it actually puts the users in control of what is running on their computer. Right now, it could be doing malicious actions towards you and you would have no idea, nor any way of detecting it.

I was implying that they both could be more secure than one or the other. Not that one is specifically more prone to malicious actions. Libreboot has its benefits but it certainly isn't free from maliware actions; giving users more control doesn't always make things better, it could make it less secure, depending on the user. However that's not to say an ordinary bios is more secure.

55 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm also quoting an article from LibreBoot, have you even bothered?! guess not

In fact I did read it. It does not mention anywhere specifically that the PSP should "scare the shit out of us", "has access to everything" and that it has "has known and documented vulnerabilities and exploits".

The libreboot FAQ states "PSP theoretically has access to the entire system memory space". However "AMD either will not or cannot deny this,". Theory is all well and good but until it's proven, which it hasn't been, it's still just a theory not fact.

In fact researchers are still trying to identify any threat from the PSP, or in the case of Intel its Management Engine; which you conveniently have not mentioned, since they are more or less the same.

57 minutes ago, Lazmarr said:

I was implying that they both could be more secure than one or the other. Not that one is specifically more prone to malicious actions. Libreboot has its benefits but it certainly isn't free from maliware actions; giving users more control doesn't always make things better, it could make it less secure, depending on the user. However that's not to say an ordinary bios is more secure.

In fact I did read it. It does not mention anywhere specifically that the PSP should "scare the shit out of us", "has access to everything" and that it has "has known and documented vulnerabilities and exploits".

The libreboot FAQ states "PSP theoretically has access to the entire system memory space". However "AMD either will not or cannot deny this,". Theory is all well and good but until it's proven, which it hasn't been, it's still just a theory not fact.

In fact researchers are still trying to identify any threat from the PSP, or in the case of Intel its Management Engine; which you conveniently have not mentioned, since they are more or less the same.

He mentioned it right under the bit you quoted 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

5 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Everyone has got their kink, I wont judge...

All of this spying and hacking on my cat videos. The POTUS wants to grab everyone by the pussy

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 hours ago, Centurius said:

Mentions what exactly? A theoretical example of how it could be done based off of an assumption that it COULD happen.

It doesn't really prove anything.

Just now, Lazmarr said:

Mentions what exactly? A theoretical example of how it could be done based off of an assumption that it COULD happen.

No, he mentioned Intel had the Management Engine which effectively is the same.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

13 hours ago, Centurius said:

Ohhh I see. It is appearing now. Before when I originally read the post on my smartphone, it was not there, it may have been cut off haha

Thanks for pointing that out :)