AMD open source friendly? Libreboot doesn't think so

source: https://libreboot.org/amd-libre/

145px-Libreboot_logo.svg.png

let's start with the beginning: what is LibreBoot?

Libreboot is a free BIOS or UEFI replacement; libre boot firmware initializes the hardware and starts a bootloader for the OS

the point of contention?

since about 2013 AMD has made some drastic changes to their CPU hardware and LibreBoot requested documentation and release of the source code - AMD refused

they tried again with Ryzen release, AMD hasn't changed their plans to do so

We in the Libreboot project call on AMD to release source code and start cooperating with our upstream, coreboot (and librecore) for its new Ryzen platform and existing Zen platforms. This includes source code for all initialization firmware (typically referred to as the BIOS or UEFI firmware, by some members of the community), and in particular, the AMD Platform Security Processor, to allow the free/libre software community to use AMD hardware that is entirely freedom-respecting. If it's not too much to ask, we also would like source code and signing keys, including for the PSP and microcode for the CPU.

We would also like to have board design guides, datasheets and footprints for CPUs/southbridges and so on.

We especially need the signing keys to be released, for those components which are signed (PSP, CPU microcode, SMU, etc). This will make utilising any released source code possible (at present, some components will not run unless the firmware is signed by a certain signature, usually under lock and key by the hardware manufacturer).

We in the community need freedom-respecting hardware! We call on AMD to work with us in the Libreboot, Coreboot and Librecore projects on bringing about a world where computing technology is no longer under lock and key from the manufacturer, and instead in the control and ownership of users.

This has several benefits for AMD. There is currently a huge demand in the market for libre hardware. At present, the only companies providing it are ones like Ministry of Freedom where systems are sold with entirely free software, including the boot firmware and operating system, without any signed firmware for which no keys are available to the public.

The problem? These companies are selling much older systems that are made libre mostly through reverse engineering. At present, the systems sold by such companies are using older hardware designs from 5-10 years ago, which means that most people who wish to use all libre software cannot do so, due to practicality concerns. There are some people who will use these older systems, but that is not without a huge sacrifice to their convenience since they end up using older, obsolete hardware and certain tasks (especially serious software development) becomes impractical for a lot of people.

AMD has the power to reverse this trend, and there is a potential for a great amount of profit to be made. The free/libre and open source software communities would jump head over heels to support such a move. In other words, AMD can make money from investing in the libre software community.

There is even a precedent already set. AMD previously did release source code for all of their newer platforms, to the coreboot project, but then they stopped. We're calling for this to resume, and to expand further than before.

so, what happened back in 2013?

AMD introduced in their CPUs new hardware, Platform Security Processor (PSP) - it's an ARM core baked in directly into the CPU die and controls the main x86 core startup

why the existence of the PSP should scare the shit out of you:

• has ring -2 or ring -3 access
  • hides its own program code
  • has it's own RAM access
  • has access to everything, and when I say everything, I mean everything
  • has known and documented vulnerabilities and exploits

a malicious entity can extract data directly without victim's knowledge; install malware without victim's knowledge

---

some people might recognize this and say "but Intel does the same thing" - yes, they do!

since about 2006 Intel added Management Engine into their chips - since about 965 Express Chipset (northbridge) and ICH8 I/O Controller (southbridge)

why the Management Engine should scare the shit out of you:

• has it's own dedicated BUS to each device connected
  • ROM and RAM controllers
  • has it's own network access and MAC address
  • it uses it's own Real Time Operating System (RTOS) that is not developed by Intel, but Express Logic Inc.

AMD is at least considering it. They responded to a question on it on their AMA.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

Wait if neither companies do who supports libreboot?

Reverse engineering I suppose

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

AMD is at least considering it. They responded to a question on it on their AMA.

that's not "AMD considering it"

it's someone from AMD saying the inquiry brings good points; far fetched from considering it ... AMD has dismissed it since 2013, we're now in 2017

25 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

at this point, practically no one - LibreBoot only works on very old x86 hardware

Intel does release some firmware blobs 

i'm guessing your point isnt that AMD should support it, but rather that the idea that AMD is somehow super best friends with the opensource world needs to disappear, right?

amd being "open source" has always been on technologies intel already had so they could play as the under dogs they're just making their stuff open source because their behind not because they care about open source

amd not being open source friendly? 

they released plenty of things in the past , only because they dont support this one thing does not mean they dont support the open source 

also its a company , try getting details on skylake and you get the same result 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Wouldnt doing this spill engineering secrets?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

So if intel and AMD don't allow it then who are these guys making programs for? Older AMD platforms?

We in the Libreboot project call on AMD to release..:

source code for all initialization firmware,

the AMD Platform Security Processor,

signing keys, including for the PSP,

microcode for the CPU,

board design guides,

datasheets and footprints for CPUs/southbridges,

and so on.

They sure don't ask for much.

...bringing about a world where computing technology is no longer under lock and key from the manufacturer, and instead in the control and ownership of users.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

since about 2006 Intel added Management Engine into their chips - since about 965 Express Chipset (northbridge) and ICH8 I/O Controller (southbridge)

why the Management Engine should scare the shit out of you:

It's worth mentioning that this is not a thing on all Intel platforms. It is part of vPro which is mostly used for their mobile chips (and some desktop ones). Their more consumer oriented stuff like the 7700K does not have it (as far as we know).

39 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Wouldnt doing this spill engineering secrets?

Not necessarily. They asked for quite a lot of things and some would spill secrets, but there are things they could release without any risk.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

It's worth mentioning that this is not a thing on all Intel platforms. It is part of vPro which is mostly used for their mobile chips (and some desktop ones). Their more consumer oriented stuff like the 7700K does not have it (as far as we know).

IME is part of every Intel chip since then, vPRO has it's own shit - Active Management Technology (AMT)

2 hours ago, Alaradia said:

old as shit thinkpads, and custom written BIOS's to specific hardware configs, it's the same as what people do to remove the whitelists on laptop BIOS's so you can install what ever wireless cards you like.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

11 hours ago, Alaradia said:

amd being "open source" has always been on technologies intel already had so they could play as the under dogs they're just making their stuff open source because their behind not because they care about open source

thats actually a very interesting viewpoint to think about, probably expressed slightly too crudely, but not too far from the truth.

11 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

amd not being open source friendly? 

they released plenty of things in the past , only because they dont support this one thing does not mean they dont support the open source 

also its a company , try getting details on skylake and you get the same result 

how about their AMDGPU-PRO driver?! people are quite pissed at AMD for not releasing the source code for the Vulkan driver

Right, AMD has nothing to with open source, right, never anything from them. I've read about Libreboot before and I understand their view, but still. It's not odd nor they're the only or first.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 10/03/2017 at 11:38 AM, zMeul said:

• has access to everything, and when I say everything, I mean everything

a malicious entity can extract data directly without victim's knowledge; install malware without victim's knowledge

Care to share this information?

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

On 3/10/2017 at 7:06 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

I'm calling it a CIA conspiracy to spy on my cat videos

Everyone has got their kink, I wont judge...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, Lazmarr said:

Care to share this information?

how about you do some research on your own?! eh ..

there are hour+ long TED talks about these issues, and not since yesteday

Who cares? Does anyone really care about Libreboot?

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition