MATH GEEKS CHALLENGE!

PenPoint

Preface in a single sentence : This is NOT a homework.

math.png

There may be some wrong translations but it won't be a massive error :P

3 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

I am getting a contradiction. Don't the conditions imply that alpha=beta when f(alpha)=f(beta)=g(alpha)=g(beta)=M ( local maxima )and applying (x-a)f(x)=g(x) since x>a for f(x) to exist..... Then beta-alpha=6√3 would not be possible.....

Um...

first of all alpha=/=beta.

second, f'(alpha)=g'(alpha)=M -> local maximum

1 minute ago, Kumaresh said:

f'(alpha)=g'(alpha)=M ? This question is worded weirdly.... f'(alpha)=0 and f''(alpha)<0 would imply that f(alpha) is a maxima M....... For an extremum of the function, derivative of the function must be zero...... If f'(alpha)=M ( maxima ), then f''(alpha)=0, we can't say anything about f(alpha). There is some confusion o.O

Actually the question is originally not written in English. I translated into English so please understand that there may be some translation errors. :'(

Okay so... let's check it out. Oh and I'm not good at math :/

1. f'(alpha)=0? yes. 'cuz it's local maximum.

2. f''(alpha)<0? yes. Reason's same.

3. f(alpha)=M? yes. same.

4. At the extremum of the function(let's call x=k), yes, f'(k)=0.

5. f'(alpha)=M? Why? f'(alpha)=0, not M.

8 hours ago, PenPoint said:

Actually the question is originally not written in English. I translated into English so please understand that there may be some translation errors. :'(

Okay so... let's check it out. Oh and I'm not good at math :/

1. f'(alpha)=0? yes. 'cuz it's local maximum.

2. f''(alpha)<0? yes. Reason's same.

3. f(alpha)=M? yes. same.

4. At the extremum of the function(let's call x=k), yes, f'(k)=0.

5. f'(alpha)=M? Why? f'(alpha)=0, not M.

@Kumaresh is right, f(A) = f(B) = g(A) = g(B) = M implies A = B, since g(x) = (x - a) f(x).

(Using A and B in place of alpha and beta.)

Maybe there's a translation error in the problem?

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

9 hours ago, kingkickolas said:

@Kumaresh is right, f(A) = f(B) = g(A) = g(B) = M implies A = B, since g(x) = (x - a) f(x).

(Using A and B in place of alpha and beta.)

Maybe there's a translation error in the problem?

I think there's a translation error. Sorry :'(

In the second condition, those conditions only fits in for function f(x), not g(x).

So f(A)=f(B)=M but g(A)=/=M, g(B)=/=M. Is everything alright now @Kumaresh?

Just now, Kumaresh said:

OK, I can solve the problem now. Will check the solution tonight.....

Phew... error solved :D

I think there might still be a mistranslation somewhere in the question. (Sorry, I know translating can be difficult, especially for technical material!)

With the new information, I can rewrite g as a function of the free parameters alpha, beta, a, and M:

kTaTPt6.png

So, for any combination of alpha, beta, a, and M, there exists a function g (given above) such that f(x) = g(x)/(x-a) has local maxima at (alpha, M) and (beta, M). So therefore any value of M is permitted and there is no minimum for it.

My (first) build: i7 4790k | Noctua NH-U14S + NF-A15 | Gigabyte Z97X-SLI | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate 2TB SSHD | 2x MSI R9 270X TwinFrozr crossfire | Seasonic G Series 750W 80+ Gold | Asus VX238H 23" | GAMDIAS HERMES | Logitech G602 | Steelseries QcK | Windows 8.1

3 hours ago, Kumaresh said:

-snip-

4 hours ago, kingkickolas said:

-snip-

I'm afraid to tell you both that there IS the minimum value of M.

And I'll give you a small tip: do you @Kumaresh really think that f(x) still have to be a cubic function?

And one more thing: this question has three main ways to solve. :D

Just now, Kumaresh said:

Then provide your solution please. I am sure that only if you multiply a cubic equation by a linear factor will you get a biquadratic polynomial. What else can you multiply to get it ?

We call f(x) as 'fractional function'.

7 hours ago, PenPoint said:

I'm afraid to tell you both that there IS the minimum value of M.

And I'll give you a small tip: do you @Kumaresh really think that f(x) still have to be a cubic function?

And one more thing: this question has three main ways to solve. :D

f is only cubic if a is a root of g, which it isn't necessarily. 

But this is why I think there might still be a mistranslation error in the question. You can verify that the g in my post gives an f that satisfies all of the criteria, but permits any value of M (even negative M).

-- Edit --

Specifically, with the g from my previous post:

eirVKO2.png

Edited by kingkickolas

5 hours ago, kingkickolas said:

-snip-

Hmm that's strange. I'll post the answer in a few hours.

@Kumaresh Nobody said that (x-a) should be a factor of g(x). :D

Actually when I saw this question for the first time, I thought the same thing.

And this question is not related to India at all XP

@PenPoint, hey is there any update on this? Curious to see what you got :P

1 hour ago, kingkickolas said:

@PenPoint, hey is there any update on this? Curious to see what you got :P

Oh sorry. I forgot to post the answer ;-;

Answer is REALLY going to be posted in a few hours.

Just now, PenPoint said:

Oh sorry. I forgot to post the answer ;-;

Answer is REALLY going to be posted in a few hours.

Haha no prob! :3

9 hours ago, PenPoint said:

Dear @Kumaresh and @kingkickolas, here is the answer. Took me a lot... translation process is freakin' hard. :$

dif.pdf

Oh, and the source is CSAT of South Korea.

I have to agree, this is a very impressive bit of work! Well, until the last two lines... :P

Your conclusion is correct if A+B=0, but this is nowhere stated in the problem, and we cannot assume it! In fact, the conclusion is correct even if A+B is not 0, but we have not shown it yet!

What we have to do is find ffuXVWq.png. That is, the value of g' at its local minimum (we know this occurs at the left-most point where g'' = 0, since g' is an overall-decreasing cubic). When you do this, you find that:

ha1wNtx.png.

And when you plug this into g', you get, in general, that Vd6ZNB7.png, which in the case for B = A + 6 \sqrt{3}, gives 216! So this is true even if A + B is not 0 (which we were not justified to assume anyway).

I wish I had stuck with this problem more, I just forgot to apply condition 3 in your OP to only x > a! What a fantastic problem though, I won't soon forget it!

3 hours ago, kingkickolas said:

-snip-

Actually you're right, there is no reason to assume α+β=0, but for the computational convenience! lol

Approximately top 1% of the whole students who took the test were only able to get this right. :S

2 hours ago, PenPoint said:

Actually you're right, there is no reason to assume α+β=0, but for the computational convenience! lol

Approximately top 1% of the whole students who took the test were only able to get this right. :S

Yeah I don't envy them! That's a very difficult question, I have no idea how I would do this on a test!

1 hour ago, PenPoint said:

Dear @Kumaresh and @kingkickolas, wanna try another question?

If any of you are interested, please leave a comment below :D

Yeah definitely! You've got some good ones apparently! :)

6 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

@Kumaresh @kingkickolas Here you go :]

-snip-

Cool!

Clarification: Is the domain or range (or both) of h'' all of the reals? Also, f can have odd powers too, or just even?

21 minutes ago, kingkickolas said:

Cool!

Clarification: Is the domain or range (or both) of h'' all of the reals? Also, f can have odd powers too, or just even?

Yes, it is all of the reals. And f(x)=x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d shape. Is everything clear?

Just now, PenPoint said:

Yes, it is all of the reals. And f(x)=x^4+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d shape. Is everything clear?

Thanks! But is it the domain or range of h'' (or both)?