Are you a Robot? Google hiding CAPTCHA

WMGroomAK

According to the following Ars Technica article, you may see less CAPTCHAs from Google.  Apparently Google feels that they have a system that can correctly predict most of who is a bot versus a person and will only ask for a CAPTCHA if it is questionable.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/googles-recaptcha-announces-invisible-background-captchas/

The old reCAPTCHA system was pretty easy—just a simple "I'm not a robot" checkbox would get people through your sign-up page. The new version is even simpler, and it doesn't use a challenge or checkbox. It works invisibly in the background, somehow, to identify bots from humans. Google doesn't go into much detail on how it works, only saying that the system uses "a combination of machine learning and advanced risk analysis that adapts to new and emerging threats." More detailed information on how the system works would probably also help bot-makers crack it, so don't expect details to pop up any time soon.

I'm okay with doing away with CAPTCHAs but would really like to know how Google is making the determination that I'm not a bot.  Is it looking and storing IP and other personal information.

6 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

but would really like to know how Google is making the determination that I'm not a bot.  Is it looking and storing IP and other personal information.

This is my question as well... However, being this is Google we are talking about, I am assuming so.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I wonder if it has to do with their analytic capabilities. I think google can tell what page you come from and what page you are going to. I can imagine a robot will run through many things like a script or like a machine would do, perfectly and quickly.

And any human would take time to go from site to site. might type a little slower. the mouse may wiggle unsteadily in the hands of an actual human and have to center down on a button instead of a perfect straight angle from point to point click to click.

I though I was going to be first.... lol

My guess:

that is how good they are at spying on consumers. They know how many web sites you have visited and your browsing patterns. A robot would have a different search and page view fingerprint

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

More detailed information on how the system works would probably also help bot-makers crack it, so don't expect details to pop up any time soon.

Systems that are secure only because no one knows how they work are always totally the best ones

/s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Only Google knows if I'm a robot.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Systems that are secure only because no one knows how they work are always totally the best ones

/s

Wasn't there something last week as well about how Google's own Speech to Text was able to get through their CAPTCHA?

10 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Wasn't there something last week as well about how Google's own Speech to Text was able to get through their CAPTCHA?

yes

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

From the SEO community the captcha thing has always been a big problem. You're ghetto style SEO guy would be manually checking his keyword ranks. You end up making a pattern; Copy keyword from spreadsheet -> paste into google -> find position -> note position in spreadsheet then back go stage 1.

Do that 500 times and google thinks your a robot. I've even triggered it myself. Nowadays folk use a mix of automation software and private proxies to get their ranks. You rarely get caught out using that method.

For the serious automation systems, there are API services out there that basically grab any captcha images you might trigger, send it to an army of people in India/China, they'll manually fill in the captcha and the software carries on. Typical turnaround is 10-11 seconds. Company called Death by Captcha I believe that offers something like 1000 completes for a few $.

However that's for your more legit reasons you might trigger a captcha (like the above rank checking process) as opposed to spam automation.

2 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

<snip>

I'm okay with doing away with CAPTCHAs but would really like to know how Google is making the determination that I'm not a bot.  Is it looking and storing IP and other personal information.

Knowing Google ... most likely.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

would really like to know how Google is making the determination that I'm not a bot.

Steve Gibson gave a pretty nice explanation in Security Now 593

The whole captcha discussion starts at 1:44:01 (timestamped to that) , Steve really goes into detail at 1:47:30

13 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

According to the following Ars Technica article, you may see less CAPTCHAs from Google.  Apparently Google feels that they have a system that can correctly predict most of who is a bot versus a person and will only ask for a CAPTCHA if it is questionable.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/googles-recaptcha-announces-invisible-background-captchas/

It'll most likely be some complicated algorithm, I doubt Google would lightly release this if they weren't confident that it works. Its going to replacing previous versions which in most cases allow us to log in to website or access certain websites.

I doubt obviously as well that Google will tell us how they are doing it for reasons obvious. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

If you have ever wondered why you had to solve those text and image quizzes... You were Google's bitch all along ;) :

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

That video is awesome. He kinda confirmed us all. Too much information. mouse pointers, history, jeeeeeeesus. lol