Lets try get Asus to do AM4 M-DTX motherboard!

I threw the first stone, join me to get the next ultimate SFF-build motherboard :x

Imagine it... AM4 Ryzen, dual GTX 1080 Ti in liquid cooling loop, m.2 nvme SSD.

KUpE97e.gif

Edit:

Cause not many have found ever M-DTX form factor here is quick explanation picture:

500x1000px-LL-89db5ab6_7dfa8c70_mini-itx

also most cases already support it!

If there are two PCI slots angled it will support but motherboards but cases that rely on riser cable or card then it might not be supported (like it won't fit into Dan cases A4-SFX)

dafuq is DTX? enlighten me

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dafuq is DTX? enlighten me

89db5ab6_7dfa8c70_mini-itxmini-dtxmicroa

It's a form factor invented by AMD around 2007.  It's basically a sub-set of ATX limiting the length of the boards to maximum 2 extension slots, but otherwise screws in same positions as atx : https://web.archive.org/web/20090222202302/http://dtxpc.org/

PDF: https://web.archive.org/web/20090824030803/http://www.dtxpc.org/_docs/42197-DTX_Specification.pdf

---

Personally, I don't take any new form factor showing up seriously unless they remove the 24 pin and 4-8 pin power connectors.

FFS put a 4-8 pin 18v..22v power connector allowing the board to be powered directly from a laptop adapter and an optional 4-8 pin connector with 12v and 5v stand-by and be done with it. Make 5v and 3.3v on the motherboard from the 18..22v and remove the -5v and -12v and other crap.

Sucks that power supply manufacturers couldn't settle on a new standard and Intel refuses to update the ATX power supply standard.

Just now, mariushm said:

It's a form factor invented by AMD around 2007.  It's basically a sub-set of ATX limiting the length of the boards to maximum 2 extension slots, but otherwise screws in same positions as atx : https://web.archive.org/web/20090222202302/http://dtxpc.org/

Kinda meaned m-DTX but character limit :D

Just now, sl06bhytmar said:

wow... thats something i want to see because im pretty sure i could cram one in the Toaster Project lol, not that id go for a dual card setup with watercooling tho cuz i cant get that in there

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Why isn't ITX and MATX enough options?

Cases are made to support either ITX or MATX, so DTX will either not fit in your ITX case or you could just get an MATX board to fit in your MATX case...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Cases are made to support either ITX or MATX, so DTX will either not fit in your ITX case or you could just get an MATX board to fit in your MATX case...

Most ITX cases are actually DTX cases... 

And most mATX cases are humongous with too many HDD slots.

3 minutes ago, sl06bhytmar said:

So you want to put two PCIe cards with 0 spacing in an MITX case?

Why?

There are small MATX cases if you look for them.

Image result for nova case

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Except you can't really run 2 graphics cards on an m-DTX motherboard. Unless you went with some of those 1 slot cards, but they're pretty low end and not worth the hassle. There's also the incredibly limited case selection. It's just an all round bad idea, I have no idea why DTX is making such a comeback here. It's like someone discovered it diving through old threads and *boom* like Spanish Flu it's everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

True. With proper spacing between the PCIe slots.

What's the case you linked?

4 minutes ago, sl06bhytmar said:

Really? I don't see that being the case at all...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

So you want to put two PCIe cards with 0 spacing in an MITX case?

Why?

There are small MATX cases if you look for them.

Image result for nova case

That is about full ATX size case, just about 5.5 PCI slots. Probs for moving away old 3.5" bays and using 5.25" area for PSU. But still not ideal.

15 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Except you can't really run 2 graphics cards on an m-DTX motherboard. Unless you went with some of those 1 slot cards, but they're pretty low end and not worth the hassle. There's also the incredibly limited case selection. It's just an all round bad idea, I have no idea why DTX is making such a comeback here. It's like someone discovered it diving through old threads and *boom* like Spanish Flu it's everywhere.

GTX 1080 Ti was released without that nasty big DVI connector.

And I haven't been going trough old threads for long time, I have known existence of M-DTX about 7-8 years now and moved to M-ITX motherboard because no M-DTX motherboards were available back in 2011 for Sandy Bridge. I know M-ITX has only a small share on the market but most M-ITX cases actually are M-DTX cases already.

Yeah I know it would be only a gimmick on the market at the moment but there might come again a time when 1 slotted graphics card make comeback with decent gaming performance.

Edit: Also it doesn't add much cost to motherboard to use two PCI-E slots but gives a bit more room for engineers to layout connectors and components.

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Nova case, I think it kicksterted a while ago and they're getting close to production.

It's like a MATX version of the ncase M1 which has already reached production.

2 minutes ago, sl06bhytmar said:

That is about full ATX size case, just about 5.5 PCI slots. Probs for moving away old 3.5" bays and using 5.25" area for PSU. But still not ideal.

Well then GET AN MITX CASE.............

The nova is barely any bigger than the Ncase which is one of the smallest MITX cases.

Not even close to ATX.

Image result for matx case

With DTX the only way to fit a GPU and still be able to fit something in the second slot is by either using a crappy single slot quadro or by watercooling the card, which is far from ideal in a case that size.

Seriously, there is no reason why someone needs two PCIe slots right next to eachother and cannot get a MATX case.

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, sl06bhytmar said:

-snip-

That case isn't anywhere near full ATX size...it's quite small.

While it did get rid of the DVI connector, it's still a dual slot card. It didn't change anything about the form factor.

Really? Because when I pick M-DTX there aren't any mITX cases that support it.

I don't foresee single slot cards making a comeback for quite a while. Definitely not within this motherboard generation, or even the next. Not to mention with them that close together there's still a cooling issue.

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Nova case, I think it kicksterted a while ago and they're getting close to production.

-snip-

Merci! Now that one's been added to my list of possible new cases. Basically between that and the MI-6 case.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

The nova is barely any bigger than the Ncase which is one of the smallest MITX cases.

Not even close to ATX.

With DTX the only way to fit a GPU and still be able to fit something in the second slot is by either using a crappy single slot quadro or by watercooling the card, which is far from ideal in a case that size.

Seriously, there is no reason why someone needs two PCIe slots right next to eachother and cannot get a MATX case.

Changing the bracket is pretty simple without DVI connector.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2017 at 9:00 PM, Enderman said:

Not even close to ATX.

There is single slot version of geforce 1070:

http://www.pcgamer.com/galax-built-the-worlds-only-single-slot-geforce-gtx-1070/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10926/galax-shows-off-single-slot-geforce-gtx-1070-graphics-card

But, the other card probably won't be a GPU, but some decent audio card, or something else for user's specific purpose.

I'm in search of DTX motherboard, not M-DTX, .. two PCIe slots, 4 ram slots.

e6ianAHcdnNZxcJ3AFHfa3-650-80.jpg

oAwBSZdPY8yNFwuyJptiYZ-650-80.jpg

On 3/9/2017 at 2:42 PM, dizmo said:

I have been wanting to do a build with 2 gpus in a custom loop which would make them Single spot cards. The most space efficient MOBO for my plan is mDTX. If it does not come out I will have to design a custom case and use a ITX MOBO with PCIe riser splitter.

Nice thing is AMD cards since the Fury has been single slot compatible. (I/O) and the power of GPU's has come down with SFX PSU's come up in wattage. I have been wanting a mDTX MOBO for a long time.

All of EK blocks are single slot and come with single slot I/O shields if it would work. and they have a dual single slot connector block.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-terminal-dual-parallel-1-slot-acetal

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 hours ago, kravemir said:

There is single slot version of geforce 1070:

http://www.pcgamer.com/galax-built-the-worlds-only-single-slot-geforce-gtx-1070/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10926/galax-shows-off-single-slot-geforce-gtx-1070-graphics-card

But, the other card probably won't be a GPU, but some decent audio card, or something else for user's specific purpose.

I'm in search of DTX motherboard, not M-DTX, .. two PCIe slots, 4 ram slots.

The 1080ti is also single slot when you put a waterblock on it because they finally removed the crappy DVI connector :D

Spoiler