Those Mass Effect System Recommendations Were For 30fps

Guest Kloaked

YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY

gewgaf.jpg

This should come as no surprise to anyone. I thought something was up with the system spec recommendations and how the game looks, as it seemed out of place for a game like that being released under Bioware to run that well. Looks like my suspicions were correct, and it actually doesn't run as well as they lead on.

What makes it even worse is that not only is this for the 1080p (the recommended setup), they also recommended a spec for 720p. Both system recommendations are for 30fps, not 60.

EA has now confirmed that Mass Effect Andromeda's PC requirements are for 30FPS gameplay, with minimum requirements predicting framerates of 30FPS at 720p Low settings.   

Moving up to the game's recommended PC system requirements, the developers recommend a GTX 1060 or an RX 480 and 16GB of system memory for a predicted framerate of 30FPS at 1080p high settings.  

You thought they would have learned by now how well this would go over, when you treat the PC crowd like a bunch of heathens who run games exclusively at 30fps. The next bad thing about this is that Nvidia is also taking part in advertising 60fps gameplay.

This will mean that PC gamers will have a difficult time achieving solid 60FPS framerates, calling into question why Bioware, EA and Nvidia are pushing so hard to deliver 4K 60FPS gameplay almost exclusively before launch when such framerates will be almost impossible outside of a high-end SLI and Crossfire setups on PC. Surely 30FPS gameplay would be more representative of the final product? Especially for console gamers who cannot adjust the game's graphical settings.   

Hopefully this is just a huge miscommunication as that tends to happen, but I doubt it. Bioware didn't get Dragon Age: Inquisition running very well, which is what made me question the system recommendations for this upcoming Mass Effect game.

Guess I won't be taking a day off work just for Mass Effect =)

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and someone hoped to play UHD@60 in near future xD

For more than what we currently have available to us, yes. If people would learn to turn down settings a SMIDGE in most current games then UHD@60 is achievable

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and someone hoped to play UHD@60 in near future xD

The thing is that minority of games aren't playable at 60 FPS. Most games that people play are more than ready for 4K 60FPS, it's the AAA part where it gets problematic. I mean it's not a surprise as well. 1080 (or 1070 now?) for Watch Dogs 2 for 1080p and iirc TC GR:Wildlands or w/e it's called as well for 60 FPS. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

30FPS is playable whether you want to admit it or not.

I feel like I'm constantly in the minority when I say I'd rather have a stable 30FPS than an unstable 45-67FPS. The drops in framerate are far more noticeable than the less-smooth motion.

Well not that surprising, the game does use a modified version of the Frostbite 3 engine used in Dragon Age Inquisition, and a GTX 980 could only muster 55 fps in that game on the ultra preset.

Spoiler

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=13734

4 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

There's this thing called optimization, developers. 

ballmer-developers-o.gif

But, it doesn't even look very nice. How can it be so bad? Isn't it based on Frostbite? Ugh. Mass Effect. ME3 ending just raped the entire franchise. 4 years later and the DLC still costs more than a new AAA game, and now they are releasing a new game, even more overpriced, looking like a turd, being horribly optimized. I really want to love ME, like I did the original and the second one (except the shitty heatsink ammo). Ugh.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Notional said:

But, it doesn't even look very nice. How can it be so bad? Isn't it based on Frostbite? Ugh. Mass Effect. ME3 ending just raped the entire franchise. 4 years later and the DLC still costs more than a new AAA game, and now they are releasing a new game, even more overpriced, looking like a turd, being horribly optimized. I really want to love ME, like I did the original and the second one (except the shitty heatsink ammo). Ugh.

It has better lighting compared to 3, but Bioware's artists make many things look odd - like I've never been a fan of their human designs, for example.

I half expected this because Bioware also used Frostbite for Dragon Age: Inquisition and it ran like donkey butts for how it looked - specifically with the most random frame drops in small locations and other minor performance issues that should have been an easy fix.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It has better lighting compared to 3, but Bioware's artists make many things look odd - like I've never been a fan of their human designs, for example.

I half expected this because Bioware also used Frostbite for Dragon Age: Inquisition and it ran like donkey butts for how it looked - specifically with the most random frame drops in small locations and other minor performance issues that should have been an easy fix.

Yeah, but you would think they'd go all in on ME:A. I mean the textures looks crap, lighting still looks crap, geometry looks crap. It looks like a really dated game. I mean ME2 looked like a turd polished with more turd, but still.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I don't want to jump this boat, and I really really really really...

mqdefault.jpg

...really really really hope it doesn't run like crap. Especially since you could run ME3 on abacus.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Ouch, good thing i got a 1070. What kind of game runs 30fps 1080p on a 1060? Wtf?

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

32 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

I feel like I'm constantly in the minority when I say I'd rather have a stable 30FPS than an unstable 45-67FPS. The drops in framerate are far more noticeable than the less-smooth motion.

30fps is indeed playable. But to me, and many others, not very enjoyable. And when people are talking about 60fps, they mean solid 60, not a flunctuation that starts at 40-45... Hell, screw 60. I try to keep solid 120+ in my games. 30fps just seems too blurry and too hard to move fast (move the view fast enough and everything is motion blurred, can't follow the image with your eyes). It's what you're used to, and what games you're playing. Third person played with a gamepad is okayish at 30, but fast paced, twitchy fps you might as well call it unplayable even at 60 imho.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

37 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Yeah, but if those are the requirements, I can almost guarantee that you will see a lot of drops, and far down from 30 fps with that hardware. Drops from 30 and down are much more jarring to the point of simulation sickness setting in, when you go down to the 20's fps.

30 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

That is one sweaty guy. Holy smokes.

Im glad I don't sweat like that.

You should see his chair throwing technique.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

19 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yeah, but you would think they'd go all in on ME:A. I mean the textures looks crap, lighting still looks crap, geometry looks crap. It looks like a really dated game. I mean ME2 looked like a turd polished with more turd, but still.

The worst offender, apart from the lore-breaking and the utterly retarded premise, is the facial animation.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Bah, even though I'm running a pair of OC'd 980Ti's, I'm probably gonna skip on ME:Andromeda for a few months until most of the reviews are in and there's some mods up on Nexus, especially if it turns out that the PC version is sold on a singular 4.38GiB DVD as little more than an Origin Installer shortcut and CD Key sticker (looking at YOU Doom 2016! Bethesda had the gall to put out a DVD of the game for PC that had nothing but a Steam Installer shortcut, and the CD Key printed on a slip of paper, forcing me to download 60 gigs of game through Steam when I purchased the DVD to have to avoid most of that shit!).

2 minutes ago, Urishima said:

You should see his chair throwing technique.

I have no idea why I didn't realize who that was at first.

Makes perfectly sence if you consider the marketing want's to keep the requirements as low as possible to sell more games.

It runns with bearly 30 FPS on consoles? Ok then give me the requirements for 30 FPS on PC.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil