New Vulkan Functionality at GDC 2017

• Vulkan 1.0.42 released together with new extension sets for VR and multi-GPU
- https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/#apispecs
- The most requested functionality by developers
- Building Block approach provides explicit level of control

• Enables developers with key functionality today
- AND gathers experience and feedback for future Vulkan core spec releases

• First use of KHX extensions
- Developed by the working group – and ratified - like traditional KHR extensions
- But will have TEMPORARY lifetime - should NOT be built into production code
- Enables developer feedback without polluting long-term extension space

• New LunarG SDK for Vulkan Header 1.0.42.0 released today!
- Includes support for all newly Released Functionality!

• NVIDIA has published their new Vulkan beta drivers on day of spec release
- With full support for all the new v1.0.42 extensions
- Plus building block Vulkan extensions for VRWorks
on Maxwell and Pascal

Vulkan Extension Sets

• Multiview extension set
- Render geometry to multiple surfaces, each with its own viewing parameters
- Can efficiently render stereo pairs or environment maps

• Sharing extension set
- Share memory and synchronization primitives across process and instance boundaries
- Useful for implementing real-time rendering system such as VR runtimes

• Explicit Multi-GPU extension set
- Treat multiple GPUs as a single logical device
- Application can implement Alternate Frame Rendering, Split Frame Rendering or VR SLI

• Descriptor Update extension set
- Alternate ways to update resource references between draw or compute dispatch calls
- More efficient when a fixed set of resources must be updated repeatedly
- More convenient for legacy applications

Vulkan Multi-GPU and Virtual Reality Support

• Native multi-GPU support for NVIDIA SLI and AMD Crossfire platforms
- WDDM must be in “linked display adapter” mode
- The most common use case – does NOT support dGPU/iGPU

• Explicit control of how GPUs cooperate to enable a variety of operating modes
- AFR (alternate frame), SFR (Sequential frame) and VR SLI Stereo view rendering

• A “device group” is a set of physical devices that support multi-GPU rendering
- Acts as single logical device - makes adding device group support as easy as possible
- Only access each physical GPU in a device group when need explicit control:
- Memory allocation and binding resources
- Command Buffer Recording/Submission
- Synchronization

------------------------------------------------

Good to see Vulkan continue to expand in its robustness. The "Building Block approach provides explicit level of control" aspect sounds great to me, and I'd like to learn of the specifics regarding multiple GPUs being treated as a single logical device, with alternate frame-rendering. Does that mean two 8GB GPUs will be seen in-OS as one GPU with 16GB of VRAM?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I really like what they are doing with Vulkan... I hope that dx12 will lose ;) ( I can hope, right?!)

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

1 minute ago, Ekst4zy said:

I really like what they are doing with Vulkan... I hope that dx12 will lose ;) ( I can hope, right?!)

We can all but hope. I don't think this'll be the case though, developers are increasingly dependent on money from companies like MS to budget their increasingly expensive games.

1 hour ago, Tedny said:

dx12 will always on windows 10, Vulcan most likely will shine on mobile and consoles, but maybe we will have someday DOOM like game for Vulcan 

AMD Has partnered with Bethesda, they're working directly with the developers now to bring "innovation and optimisation".

So we should expect more DOOM like games from 2018 onwards from them at least. Might mean better performing and less buggy Bethesda games in general in the future.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Tedny said:

API can't fix bugs, it means more that maybe new Elder Scroll and Fallout wouldn't be on 12 old engine, maybe. It depend on how Bethesda will be greed

API can't, but working directly with AMD engineers might. :D

One can hope!

Look what AMD and id Tech managed to do with DOOM Vulkan, and that wasn't even a from the ground up build.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 hours ago, Valentyn said:

API can't, but working directly with AMD engineers might. :D

One can hope!

Look what AMD and id Tech managed to do with DOOM Vulkan, and that wasn't even a from the ground up build.

yea thats a good point, many devs completely fuck up dx12 implementation because they slap it on afterwards but doom did it really reaaallly well.

Awesome, Vulkan is going in a great way.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

• Native multi-GPU support for NVIDIA SLI and AMD Crossfire platforms

- WDDM must be in “linked display adapter” mode
- The most common use case – does NOT support dGPU/iGPU

Does anyone in the know understand what this means with regards to using two different types of GPUs? I'd hope it works the same as the DX12 implementation where you can slap any two cards together and usually get some benefit (assuming one isn't dramatically slower than the other), but the wording that it supports SLI/Corssfire is a bit worrying. Better than not having it at all, but I'd much prefer if SLI and Crossfire were made obsolete in favor of a more flexible solution.

neat

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list