Do 140mm fans make much difference vs 120mm?

Bleedingyamato

I just put 3 Corsair ml 120 fans in my main desktop but I found out a few days ago that my new case can use either 2 120mm or 2 140mm fans in the front mounts.

This got me thinking if it would be worth getting 2 ml 140 fans to use in my main desktop instead of the 2 120mm fans I have in front currently.

I could take those 2 ml 120 fans and either save them for a future build or put them in my secondary desktop to replace a couple of the fans in it so they wouldn't go to waste if I got the ml 140 fans.  

Well, 140mm fans would be more quiet pushing the same ammount of air as a 120mm.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

Depends on which fans.

Usually 140s are quieter and move more air, but it depends on the brand and model and spec and rpm and cfm and mmh2o....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have not noticed the difference between the 120 and 140mm notcua fans. If you already have usable fans then save your money for when the bearings in those fans die

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Depends on which fans.

Usually 140s are quieter and move more air, but it depends on the brand and model and spec and rpm and cfm and mmh2o....

This would the Corsair ML140 fans that I'd be looking at getting vs the Corsair ML120 fans I'm using now in front.  (The ones in the 2 pack for both. They at least look different from the single pack ML fans.)

8 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I have not noticed the difference between the 120 and 140mm notcua fans. If you already have usable fans then save your money for when the bearings in those fans die

I might just do that.  I'm not sure.  It'd be nice to save the money but if they might cool even a little better it might be good for my 960 Pro.   

It depends on the case and what rpm you're running the fans at. In most cases, ML140's will be better than ML120's.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

It depends on the case and what rpm you're running the fans at. In most cases, ML140's will be better than ML120's.

It's an Aerocool Aero-1000 case.  

I have the fans plugged into the motherboard fan headers.  

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's an Aerocool Aero-1000 case.  

I have the fans plugged into the motherboard fan headers.  

140mm's would be better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

140mm's would be better. 

Ok.

I've already got the 120mm fans so I wouldn't replace them right away but I think I'd like to eventually.

I just wish I'd looked at the specs for the Aero-1000 closer before buying the ML120 fans.  It didn't occur to me that a mid-tower could use 140mm fans in the front.  ?