May I get a good recommendation for a sound system?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a 55" LG B6 soon and I would like a solid sound system to couple with it. I have no idea what's a good sound system to pick up as reviews online are scattered over so many products, so it's hard to narrow it down. I hope someone here can help me as I'm not an expert at sound systems and really know very little. The only brand I feel I can trust to deliver is a Bose sound system as they always seem to sound so good in stores, however, they're ridiculously overpriced. At the same time, I really just want to get something that delivers on quality without Bose's crazy pricetags. (Their soundbar and subwoofer combo sounded amazing but was priced at CAD$900 each, totalling $1800 just for a simple sound system.)

I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I'm hoping to move into the living room. I would like to use the TV with my PC, ps4, and Wii U for games and movies.

The only 5.1 speaker experience I've had was long ago with the Logitech Z5500 (predecessor to the current Z906). I'm looking for something compact like the Z906 or even more compact like a soundbar. I don't have enough space for big tower speakers. My budget could go to over CAD$1000 (USD$750), but cheaper would be better if it can be done without sacrificing quality.

Thank you very much for any suggestions!

I am not exactly sure about specific models, but Bose is a good quality sound system company, so is JBL, Sony, Samsung, and Yamaha.

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

On 3/8/2017 at 3:18 PM, bismarzk_zero said:

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a 55" LG B6 soon and I would like a solid sound system to couple with it. I have no idea what's a good sound system to pick up as reviews online are scattered over so many products, so it's hard to narrow it down. I hope someone here can help me as I'm not an expert at sound systems and really know very little. The only brand I feel I can trust to deliver is a Bose sound system as they always seem to sound so good in stores, however, they're ridiculously overpriced. At the same time, I really just want to get something that delivers on quality without Bose's crazy pricetags. (Their soundbar and subwoofer combo sounded amazing but was priced at CAD$900 each, totalling $1800 just for a simple sound system.)

I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I'm hoping to move into the living room. I would like to use the TV with my PC, ps4, and Wii U for games and movies.

The only 5.1 speaker experience I've had was long ago with the Logitech Z5500 (predecessor to the current Z906). I'm looking for something compact like the Z906 or even more compact like a soundbar. I don't have enough space for big tower speakers. My budget could go to over CAD$1000 (USD$750), but cheaper would be better if it can be done without sacrificing quality.

Thank you very much for any suggestions!

You can do a lot better than Bose if you're willing to give up some additional space. They don't have to be large towers, as there are decent bookshelf-based and satellite-based systems around.

A basic 2.1 system might work for you (you can build on it over time, if you want to). Something like this perhaps... (or anything comparable)

https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-RX-V381BL-5-1-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01DXOH2I2

https://www.amazon.ca/Polk-Audio-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp/B000V2UBS8

https://www.amazon.ca/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

https://www.amazon.ca/Mount-Universal-High-Quality-Floor-Standing-Satellite/dp/B00CXBSOWK

If you want a 5.1 system from the get go, you can drop the bookshelf speakers and look at affordable satellites (examples below).

https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-MB42-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B009IUIV4A (2 sets of these for front and surround)

https://www.amazon.ca/Micca-MB42-C-Channel-Speaker-Tweeter/dp/B00HH2GINM (center)

On 08/03/2017 at 9:18 PM, bismarzk_zero said:

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a 55" LG B6 soon and I would like a solid sound system to couple with it. I have no idea what's a good sound system to pick up as reviews online are scattered over so many products, so it's hard to narrow it down. I hope someone here can help me as I'm not an expert at sound systems and really know very little. The only brand I feel I can trust to deliver is a Bose sound system as they always seem to sound so good in stores, however, they're ridiculously overpriced.

As a Yamaha AVR owner I'm pretty satisfied with mine (RX-V577). I use it on a 5.1 sound system with Monitor Audio speakers (and a cheap subwoofer I need to replace) and the overall thing is very satisfying, with a cost of around 900$.

At the same time, I really just want to get something that delivers on quality without Bose's crazy pricetags. (Their soundbar and subwoofer combo sounded amazing but was priced at CAD$900 each, totalling $1800 just for a simple sound system.)

You came to the right place. All-in-one sound systems (and sound bars...) like Bose, Sonos are the Apple of sound : they have great design and work great out of the box, but are overpriced and you can have a better sound quality for the fraction of the price with a 2.1/5.1 "homemade" system (and personalize, upgrade it)

I recommend you go 2.1 at first (with a 5.1/7.1 recent AVR) and see if 5.1 is worth the price after that, as an upgrade.
Great AVR brands, they are similar and choice mostly depends on personal preferences or a specific need:

- Denon: attractive price
- Yamaha: better for music (IMO). Slim line available if you care.
- Onkyo: haven't tried yet but they are great

- Pioneer: emphasis on soundstage/spatialization I'd say 
- Marantz: a bit outdated on video capabilities, but great brand overall. Also exists in slim line.

Avoid Sony, Harman/kardon, Samsung and all AVR brands that are not on that list.

Many AVR came in with connectivity features (network, Spotify, Pandora radio, Bluetooth...) that are nice, but not mandatory if you have a smart TV or connected device like PS4.
Look for "auto-calibration mics" like Audyssey, YPAO... they are a great feature especially for beginners.

Also make sure they are HDCP2.2 compliant (4K, 60fps...)

As for speakers you have a lot of choice. Everyone has its favorite brands/sound signatures, so I'd refer you to this guide.

[Insert smart comment here]