*Update* Verizon Wireless to stop handing out Static IPv4, Will now provide IPv6

goodtofufriday
19 hours ago, jasonvp said:

No one suggests changing from v4 to v6 right off the bat.  If anyone believes that's what's being asked, generically, they're not getting it.  Dual-stack is where it's at, to get the ball rolling.  And none of that requires "entirely rebuilding the network".

Running dual stack has it's own issues, like I talked about with servers dropping IPv6 addresses but DNS records still existing and OS preferring using IPv6 address over IPv4 addresses.

We can get all technical as much as we like but none of the issues with IPv6 are to do with IPv6 itself or networking hardware etc. IPv6 problems are solely due to applications, operating systems, legacy hardware and bad configuration.

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yes, and dual stack solutions can be quite time and money consuming, and for many companies they have not seen the point until very recently.

I mean, do you want to run IPv6 both internally and externally? Then you need to use different techniques for handling both inwards and outwards traffic based on which device the source and destination want to talk to.

It is not a simple thing like you make it sound. Especially not when you factor in the time and money requirements for a lot of companies.

This times a million.

I could talk about IPv6 issues all damn week, we have been running dual stack for many many years now so I can speak from a great deal of experience that it's not as easy as a plain networking person tries to make it out. If it was IPv6 would be standard right now, it's not for real legitimate issues that cannot be brushed aside with comments like "head stuck in sand" as that is literally the same thing about the issues regarding IPv6.

18 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

ISPs here in Germany switched completely to Ipv6 1-2 years ago.

Mobile carriers too? Because my mifi only get IPv4 from vodafone....

BTW in Hungary the ISP's dont bother with IPv6, instead they invest in CGN....:dry:

Edited by jagdtigger

On 3/8/2017 at 3:42 PM, Dabombinable said:

And how long has ipv6 been around for? What, like almost 20 years?

that's what happens when consumers cry for backwards compatibility rather than pushing towards the future.

11 hours ago, leadeater said:

Done any in-depth network and firewall troubleshooting in a complex OSPF and BGP network? DNS is irrelevant in that situation, like it is for any core networking principals. DNS is an application stack level function and is of course immensely useful but doesn't solve the issues with IPv6 we are complaining about.

Yes.  I have been doing all of that for well over 20 years now.  I'm far older and far more experienced than most of the folks on this board.  I build large scale data center networking for a living.

If you're memorizing IP addresses (v4 or v6), you're doing it wrong.  Use DNS when you can, cut and paste where you can't.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

55 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

If you're memorizing IP addresses (v4 or v6), you're doing it wrong.  Use DNS when you can, cut and paste where you can't.

Well no, you can memorize IPv4 addresses because they are so easy to remember, same sort of goes for our IPv6 address range. We actually end all of our IPv6 addresses for servers in their IPv4 address so their is a common prefix and suffix to the IPv6 address which means you can memorize them due to it being easy not because you have to.

Also you are ignoring a ton of scenarios where you simply can't cut and paste, firewall logs when your looking at unknown source or destination since you have nothing to cut and paste.

There are other useful things that can come from actually paying attention to your IP subnets, like which range belongs to which DC or building or that's a management network or wireless. I can keep going with plenty of examples where knowing your addresses ranges is extremely helpful and not knowing them means your doing it wrong :P.

DNS has it place but it doesn't replace knowing you network inside and out, not when it comes to troubleshooting.

• 4 weeks later...

A new unfortunate development in this.

***UPDATE***

Seems VZW wasn't 100% forth coming with this announcement. They have stopped purchasing and adding IPv4 addresses to current regional segments and cannot give out any more if their remaining addresses are given out. But since it its not June 30th I've personally not been able to get get a IPv6 address. 

The VZW team is trying to resolve this for me, but this is the current state of things.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On 3/8/2017 at 6:26 PM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Finally some of the older ISPs are switching over.

Fun fact: There are more IPv6 addresses than there are grains of sand on Earth.

on the topic of a ridiculous amount of possible address can be made, Their are more BTC address then sand on the earth if every piece of sand was another earth. and a group to test the level of security of no possible address being generated that is already taken is LBC (large bitcoin collider) they are generating mass amounts of addresses to see if they will ever generate one that is in current use.

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/about

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

there are domains out there that haven't made the change to IPv6 and aren't reachable from IPv6 clients

imgur.com for example

fun fact: there are no AAAA records for verizon.com xD

18 minutes ago, zMeul said:

there are domains out there that haven't made the change to IPv6 and aren't reachable from IPv6 clients

imgur.com for example

fun fact: there are no AAAA records for verizon.com xD

ಠ_ಠ 

This is concerning... 

While most of the services i use on these points are for ipsec traffic only, there are a few the connect to other 3rd party servicies. I may have to switch carries for any additional points i need to add. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

Seems VZW wasn't 100% forth coming with this announcement. They have stopped purchasing and adding IPv4 addresses to current regional segments and cannot give out any more if their remaining addresses are given out. But since it its not June 30th I've personally not been able to get get a IPv6 address. 

The VZW team is trying to resolve this for me, but this is the current state of things.

Very interesting news

The USA was once tech leader but i am very surprised by this fact, because the biggest providers here in Germany switched over to IPv6 at least ~2 years ago.

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

on the topic of a ridiculous amount of possible address can be made, Their are more BTC address then sand on the earth if every piece of sand was another earth. and a group to test the level of security of no possible address being generated that is already taken is LBC (large bitcoin collider) they are generating mass amounts of addresses to see if they will ever generate one that is in current use.

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/about

There are roughly 260 grains of sand on Earth, fyi. It's powers of 2 so it's not really that hard to overcome that amount when it comes bit depths.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

39 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

There are roughly 260 grains of sand on Earth, fyi. It's powers of 2 so it's not really that hard to overcome that amount when it comes bit depths.

Their is 2^160 possible BTC addresses 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc