*Update* Verizon Wireless to stop handing out Static IPv4, Will now provide IPv6

goodtofufriday

Source: My email as a business customer

GojMPnM.png

I don't know that all the devices I utilize on their service can use IPv6 with the ipsec tunnels. Going to have to do some testing but I find it interesting that their IPv4 pool is already used up.

***UPDATE***

Seems VZW wasn't 100% forth coming with this announcement. They have stopped purchasing and adding IPv4 addresses to current regional segments and cannot give out any more if their remaining addresses are given out. But since it its not June 30th I've personally not been able to get get a IPv6 address. 

The VZW team is trying to resolve this for me, but this is the current state of things.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Well, guess that just proves it that until 2020, we will really need to change most of our internet\local network identification numbers :P.

Groomlake Authority

And how long has ipv6 been around for? What, like almost 20 years?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

19 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

But what if I want to play my SNES online? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

24 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

No one has bothered changing cause "omg change is bad!"

But yeah, it's about time for this to start happening. With the "Internet of Things" trend going on it was only a matter of time.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Finally some of the older ISPs are switching over.

Fun fact: There are more IPv6 addresses than there are grains of sand on Earth.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

15 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

But yeah, it's about time for this to start happening. With the "Internet of Things" trend going on it was only a matter of time.

More like compatibility in businesses and did you ever tried to memorize an IPv6 address ? 

Ex: 5800:10C3:E3C3:F1AA:48E3:D923:D494:AAFF... really ? 

10 minutes ago, dmegatool said:

More like compatibility in businesses and did you ever tried to memorize an IPv6 address ? 

Ipv6 external and ipv4 internal.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well that's funny, just got around to learning about IP addresses in my networking class.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

28 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ipv6 external and ipv4 internal.

We have external ip v4 and both ip v64 and v6 internal at my work place (ISP's here are lazy so we probably wont see ip v6 til 3000 xD )

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

On 2017-03-09 at 0:08 AM, PocketNerd said:

That's not the reason at all. The reason why "no one has bothered changing" is because it is an extremely complicated process and things such as protocols needed are actually fairly new.

For example the routing protocol OSPF was updated to support IPv6 sometime in 2008. So those "20 years" are more like 8 years, and that's before anything even supported it. For things like routers to have it implemented we are looking at even more recent times.

Those 20 years might be more like 5 years, and during that short period of time a ton of things needed to happen before it could actually be implemented in live environments. It's not just something you press a button with and then everything works.

It's not about "change is bad!". It's about "this change doesn't really improve anything for our business, it will cost a ton of time and money, and it might cause a lot of issues".

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

That's not the reason at all. The reason why "no one has bothered changing" is because it is an extremely complicated process and things such as protocols needed are actually fairly new.

For example the routing protocol OSPF was updated to support IPv6 sometime in 2008. So those "20 years" are more like 8 years, and that's before anything even supported it. For things like routers to have it implemented we are looking at even more recent times.

Those 20 years might be more like 5 years, and during that short period of time a ton of things needed to happen before it could actually be implemented in live environments. It's not just something you press a button with and then everything works.

It's not about "change is bad!". It's about "this change doesn't really improve anything for our business, it will cost a ton of time and money, and it might cause a lot of issues".

And Windows is still broken when it comes to IPv6, our Domain Controllers kept dropping their STATICALLY configured IPv6 addresses breaking tons of stuff still trying to talk to them over a previously perfectly valid address. What the actual fuck >:(

Then there are other issues like device support for IPv6, line phone systems and firewalls. And on the topic of firewalls all the new rules you need to create, not a small task for large networks.

Public IPv6 routing, and often even internal, is a joke.

People will move to IPv6 when it just works, like IPv4 does.

46 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And Windows is still broken when it comes to IPv6, our Domain Controllers kept dropping their STATICALLY configured IPv6 addresses breaking tons of stuff still trying to talk to them over a previously perfectly valid address. What the actual fuck >:(

Then there are other issues like device support for IPv6, line phone systems and firewalls. And on the topic of firewalls all the new rules you need to create, not a small task for large networks.

Yeah, let them use CGN, because that wont cause problems...

I upgrade to a faster internet(40/4->100/10) but i was getting 2/0,2. Started troubleshooting, internal network was fine. Then i noticed the IP that my router got from my carrier: 100.64.x.x

I called them and said they sending a technician. Later that tecnician called me to ask when he can come i asked him if its possible to disable the CGN for me. Next day i had a public IP and the speed problem was gone. Later when he came he confirmed that my modem and cable to the CMTS is ok.

21 hours ago, dmegatool said:

Yes that really puts me off it but you might be able to make rude words out of it. All I got is 8008:1335

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

21 hours ago, dmegatool said:

did you ever tried to memorize an IPv6 address ? 

Statements like this annoy the fuck out of me, and just continually display an immense amount of ignorance.  There's a thing we call DNS.  Have you used it before?  What the fuck are you doing memorizing IP addresses for?  It's unnecessary, clumsy, and quite frankly: stupid.  If you're trying to remember IP addresses, you're doing it wrong.

The move to IPv6 can't happen soon enough.  Folks just have to get over it.  And businesses have to start upgrading their (sometimes ancient) network gear to support v6 in hardware.  It's not difficult unless you let it be difficult.

IPv6 is easy.  Learn it.  Love it.  Get used to it.  Start using it as soon as you can to get more experience with it.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

32 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Statements like this annoy the fuck out of me, and just continually display an immense amount of ignorance.  There's a thing we call DNS.  Have you used it before?  What the fuck are you doing memorizing IP addresses for?  It's unnecessary, clumsy, and quite frankly: stupid.  If you're trying to remember IP addresses, you're doing it wrong.

That's only true for end users, not the networking people.

You can't write access lists or do routing using DNS names. You need the addresses for those kinds of things.

36 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

The move to IPv6 can't happen soon enough.  Folks just have to get over it.  And businesses have to start upgrading their (sometimes ancient) network gear to support v6 in hardware.  It's not difficult unless you let it be difficult.

It's a lot more difficult than you might think.

It can be very difficult upgrading a network with just new hardware, let alone the change from IPv4 to IPv6 which can require almost entirely rebuilding the network (at least if you want IPv6 internally too).

A lot of companies and organizations just don't see the benefit, and I totally see why.

We need to move to IPv6. It has to happen sooner or later. But it is no easy and simple task.

Just now, LAwLz said:

You can't write access lists or do routing using DNS names. You need the addresses for those kinds of things.

So let's do a level-set:  I've been a network architect for over 20 years.  I "get it".  Routing isn't done with "IP addresses" if you're doing routing properly.  It's done with address blocks.  It's not difficult.  As for access lists: again - if you're filtering down to the individual /128 IP, you're doing it wrong.

It's a lot more difficult than you might think.

Not really, no.  I run massive data centers.  It's not difficult at all, unless you've stuck your head in the sand like an ostrich and ignored it for the last decade or more.

It can be very difficult upgrading a network with just new hardware, let alone the change from IPv4 to IPv6 which can require almost entirely rebuilding the network (at least if you want IPv6 internally too).

No one suggests changing from v4 to v6 right off the bat.  If anyone believes that's what's being asked, generically, they're not getting it.  Dual-stack is where it's at, to get the ball rolling.  And none of that requires "entirely rebuilding the network".

A lot of companies and organizations just don't see the benefit, and I totally see why.

And that's ultimately the problem: they don't see the benefit because their heads are buried in the sand, or they're only looking 2 inches in front of their respective noses.  The longer they wait, the harder the "IPv6 crash course" is going to be for them when it's ultimately forced upon them.

And it will be forced upon them.

Folks need to get over it right now and start learning how to manage a dual-stacked network, right now.  Whether they see an immediate benefit or not is another story entirely.  The experience and education is what matters.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

6 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

And none of that requires "entirely rebuilding the network".

I mean, is there really any hardware you would have to switch out? I don't think so. Maybe if you are running some ancient router in there somewhere, but that is really on you at that point.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Just now, Urishima said:

I mean, is there really any hardware you would have to switch out? I don't think so. Maybe if you are running some ancient router in there somewhere, but that is really on you at that point.

Of course.  You don't want network gear doing what they do in software because it slows things down immensely.  You want it in hardware.  Doing IPv6 forwarding in hardware requires different buffer sizes than does IPv4, among other things.  And you need to make sure the NOS you're running on the gear can handle the control plane aspects of IPv6.

Some very old hardware (and NOS) can't do that.  I agree with you in that if you're running gear that old, you need to update it.

45 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Routing isn't done with "IP addresses" if you're doing routing properly.  It's done with address blocks.

1) You're being pedantic. "It's not done with IP addresses it's done with IP blocks!". An address block is an IP address. 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 is an address which defines a block.

2) IP routing is most certainly done at individual IP address level in some situations.

It's not difficult.  As for access lists: again - if you're filtering down to the individual /128 IP, you're doing it wrong.

I sure hope your 20 years of experience isn't in security, because I would dread to see the firewall you configured.

"Hey, can you open a port for our new server?"

"Yeah, let me just unblock the entire network the server is on!"

Not really, no.  I run massive data centers.  It's not difficult at all, unless you've stuck your head in the sand like an ostrich and ignored it for the last decade or more.

Welcome to the real world, where companies has "stuck their heads in the sand" for the last decade...

But even then it would have been a massive undertaking for a lot of companies.

It hasn't really been a problem for end users (and I include companies in that) up until very recently.

49 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

No one suggests changing from v4 to v6 right off the bat.  If anyone believes that's what's being asked, generically, they're not getting it.  Dual-stack is where it's at, to get the ball rolling.  And none of that requires "entirely rebuilding the network".

Yes, and dual stack solutions can be quite time and money consuming, and for many companies they have not seen the point until very recently.

I mean, do you want to run IPv6 both internally and externally? Then you need to use different techniques for handling both inwards and outwards traffic based on which device the source and destination want to talk to.

It is not a simple thing like you make it sound. Especially not when you factor in the time and money requirements for a lot of companies.

I've recently finished a project where I upgraded the network for a large factory. It was a mess. A thing that should be simple, like changing out an access switch, was a major hurdle because they had band-aid fixes on band-aid fixes on band-aid fixes. It was quite frankly a miracle the network even worked at all.

They have machines running Windows 3.11 in some places. Why? Because the machine still works just fine, and upgrading it would cost hundreds of thousands dollars. It is pretty hard to justify spending millions of dollars and a ton of time on something which already works just fine.

If it was as simple as you make it sound, then the move would have happened overnight, but that's not the world we live in.

1 hour ago, Urishima said:

When I said "almost entirely rebuilding the network" I was not really referring to hardware. I am sure a lot of companies would need to change some hardware, especially if they want to maintain performance and stability. The big "rebuild" would be in IP address plans, firewall rules, routing and other configurations.

You know, things where you would manually have to redo and retest a ton of work.

Things like that can be a massive undertaking.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

We run an Azure cloud VM to handle our DC. I'm very happy I'm not running it over verizon wireless, though honestly know that I think about the uptime would be quite incredible... 

2 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Some of our hardware that is only a few years old doesnt seem to be fully compatible. Thankfully though the devices we use for the ipsec tunnels And run over VZW seem to fully support it. 

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

When I said "almost entirely rebuilding the network" I was not really referring to hardware. I am sure a lot of companies would need to change some hardware, especially if they want to maintain performance and stability. The big "rebuild" would be in IP address plans, firewall rules, routing and other configurations.

You know, things where you would manually have to redo and retest a ton of work.

Things like that can be a massive undertaking.

For that reason I'm seriously considering just buying up a ton of IPv4 address before they run out. 

14 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

For that reason I'm seriously considering just buying up a ton of IPv4 address before they run out. 

Good idea, but you're quite a few years too late.

;)

Just now, LAwLz said:

Good idea, but you're quite a few years too late.

;)

Well when I say "a ton" I mean like buying 20 more from verizon. It should last me about 2 years if the rate I need them at continues. 

Trust me if I had the cash I'd be buying up IP blocks like no ones business.

It was only a matter of time. IPv6 has been around long enough to prepare for running out of v4 addresses interesting that they waited this long to cut over. Other ISP's cut public IP's  over years ago. 

20 hours ago, jasonvp said:

What the fuck are you doing memorizing IP addresses for?  It's unnecessary, clumsy, and quite frankly: stupid.  If you're trying to remember IP addresses, you're doing it wrong.

Done any in-depth network and firewall troubleshooting in a complex OSPF and BGP network? DNS is irrelevant in that situation, like it is for any core networking principals. DNS is an application stack level function and is of course immensely useful but doesn't solve the issues with IPv6 we are complaining about.