MicroSoft and ARM aim to threaten Intel's dominance

zMeul

source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-08/microsoft-pledges-to-use-arm-server-chips-threatening-intel-s-dominance

microsoft_azure.png

MicroSoft is hell bent on replacing Intel's CPUs from their current server infrastructure with ARM based chips

Microsoft has developed a version of its Windows operating system for servers using ARM processors, working with Qualcomm Inc. and Cavium Inc. The software maker is now testing these chips for tasks like search, storage, machine learning and big data, said Jason Zander, vice president of Microsoft's Azure cloud division. The company isn’t yet running the processors -- known for being more power-efficient and offering more choice in vendors -- in any customer-facing networks, and wouldn't specify how widespread they eventually will be.

"It's not deployed into production yet, but that is the next logical step," Zander said in an interview. "This is a significant commitment on behalf of Microsoft. We wouldn't even bring something to a conference if we didn't think this was a committed project and something that's part of our road map."

MicroSoft plans to make the switch in their own datacenters by the end of the year 

MicroSoft's plan is to cut costs, improve platform flexibility and remain competitive with Amazon and Google, companies that provide on-line computing, software solutions and storage on a large scale

right now, Intel's market share in the field is 99%

but, this is not the 1st time ARM CPU manufacturers have tried to shake Intel's dominance; MS' involvement might actually have significant impact

one other MS partner in their endeavor is nVidia, who'll be supplying hardware for AI oriented applications

All I can say is "Good luck Microsoft!" They've tried that on a much smaller scale before. Anyone remember the Surface RT?

Also Microsoft is not spelled MicroSoft. It's Microsoft. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Remember windows rt?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm always interested as to how the inner workings of agreements between these companies work. For example, MS now is working with Intel and Netflix to make 4K streaming extra annoying, and then going and working against Intel with ARM. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Its Microsoft, not MicroSoft. You can tell because all the Microsoft logos are that way. Look at the Microsoft Azure logo thats in your post. 

Wish them the best of luck. Intel can always use more competition, and if this and AMD's server chips work out well that will change up the norm significantly.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

13 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Also Microsoft is not spelled MicroSoft. It's Microsoft. 

13 minutes ago, bigneo said:

Why are you calling Microsoft MicroSoft? :) 

He does it for just about every single brand so he can look speshul

7 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

Wish them the best of luck. Intel can always use more competition, and if this and AMD's server chips work out well that will change up the norm significantly.

ARM is a architecture, multiple companies make ARM based processors. This doesn't just affect Intel it would affect AMD as well. It's competition with x86 architechure. Which to be honest x86 could use some compitition.

Stick to the topic not his spelling/grammar. No need to be Douche-Nuggets. 

Edit: Added the word Grammar for proper grammar. :)

1 minute ago, AJ-Goodrich said:

Stick to the topic not his spelling/grammar. No need to be Douche-Nuggets. 

Edit: Added the word Grammar for proper grammar. :)

Hey man, you should stick to the topic. :)

I love how every one only cares to correct the wrong spelling on Microsoft rather than talk about the topic at hand xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

34 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

34 minutes ago, bigneo said:

31 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

their 1975 logo:

640px-Microsoft_logo_(1975).svg.png

I don't know how well it will work for machine learning and big data but for the other two this sounds like a pretty damn decent idea.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

27 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

He does it for just about every single brand so he can look speshul

SpeShul*

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

their 1975 logo:

MicRoSoFT

MICROSOFT

It's only the M or more than just the M and S.

Micro Soft

Or its two words.

It's not: MicroSoft.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

their 1975 logo:

lol, then you should have done it full caps

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

their 1975 logo:

So...? That was in 1975, and the separation was only for readability under low resolutions and small physical spaces. the logo you are using as an image for Azure is more recent.

So tell me, is Microsoft using the capital 'S' now?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 minute ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

So...? That was in 1975, and the separation was only for readability under low resolutions and small physical spaces. the logo you are using as an image for Azure is more recent.

So tell me, is Microsoft using the capital 'S' now?

blah blah blah blah

instead on commenting on topic, you're debating how I wrote MicroSoft :dry:

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

blah blah blah blah

Maybe if you stopped acting like a special snowflake people would take your threads more seriously.

It's like @Kloaked, if you make clickbait threads, then you should expect a non-serious set of replies.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, zMeul said:

blah blah blah blah

dis 4 u bb shh is ok

cd28e4eb9d086a97656c1d57e472be9e.jpg

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

blah blah blah blah

Yes, because when you write it as a title of a Tech News thread, that is the first thing people will notice. They will then assume that it was written by a toddler and ignore it.

I understand that people have different ways of spelling things, but readability for a general audience is a thing.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Just now, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Yes, because when you write it as a title of a Tech News thread, that is the first thing people will notice. They will then assume that it was written by a toddler and ignore it.

I understand that people have different ways of spelling things, but readability for a general audience is a thing.

I see it makes people angry and lose their heads, just because of this I will continue to write it MicroSoft

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I see it makes people angry and lose their heads, just because of this I will continue to write it MicroSoft

You're hilarious, check it out: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/usage/logo.aspx

They don't even bothered addressing how wrong it is to capitalize the s xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

You're hilarious, check it out: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/usage/logo.aspx

They don't even bothered addressing how wrong it is to capitalize the s xD

sorry matey, but I'm not modifying their logos in any way shape or form

and PS: this is not a corporate environment