Galaxy Xcover 4 released

Djole123

While many people loved the Xcover 3, it had some downsides such as thickness, 480p screen and Android KitKat back when Marshmallow was in its beta.

SamungGalaxyXCover4-580x358.png

Now, however, the issues have been fixed.

The Xcover 4 has a 5" 720p PLS(?) LCD display, a quad core 1.4GHz chip, 16GB of storage with microSD expansion, 13MP camera with autofocus and flash, Android 7.0 Nougat and, most importantly, millitary standard MIL-STD 810G for drops, extreme temperatures, solar radiation... It's one hella durable phone

There is also Glove Touch mode so you don't need to put out your gloves to receive a freakin call! Neat, I gotta say.

Prices are yet to be confirmed.

Source:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3005860/samsung-galaxy-xcover-4-packs-military-grade-specs-android-70-nougat

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

The real Nokia 3310 (2017)

pft no. Iv'e owned the Xcover 2 and i have the Xcover 3. They are shit for durability. They break in the cold. If you subject it to -5c for longer then 4 hours, the battery may at any time instantly drain flat, even if you had 60-80% capacity. This isnt a "one time offense", happens to all my colleagues (20+ phone sample group, not all bought at the same time). 
The screen res is fine, but the camera lens is super easy to scratch.

We've had 2-3 phones die from moisture even with the cover properly seated. Cuz the moisture seeps through the speaker and side buttons.

Software freezes are also a common occurrence.

the radio chip/antennae un-explainably shutting off without notice or error messages produced. Signal strength measuring is maintained, signal is not sent or received. Leaving you to THINK you have coverage, but nobody can call, text or recieve calls or texts from you.

Oh, and just wait and see what happens if you go out in -15c and drop it. BOOM back cover shatters.

I dont care what samsung say, it wont EVER come remotely close to a 3310. Their Xcover series isnt worth the marketing cost. Those phones are only useful due to being so unfathomably cheap that no other semi rugged alternative is worth exploring.

Just now, Prysin said:

pft no. Iv'e owned the Xcover 2 and i have the Xcover 3. They are shit for durability. They break in the cold. If you subject it to -5c for longer then 4 hours, the battery may at any time instantly drain flat, even if you had 60-80% capacity. This isnt a "one time offense", happens to all my colleagues (20+ phone sample group, not all bought at the same time). 

We've had 2-3 phones die from moisture even with the cover properly seated. Cuz the moisture seeps through the speaker and side buttons.

the radio chip/antennae un-explainably shutting off without notice or error messages produced. Signal strength measuring is maintained, signal is not sent or received. Leaving you to THINK you have coverage, but nobody can call, text or recieve calls or texts from you.

Oh, and just wait and see what happens if you go out in -15c and drop it. BOOM back cover shatters.

I dont care what samsung say, it wont EVER come remotely close to a 3310. Their Xcover series isnt worth the marketing cost. Those phones are only useful due to being so unfathomably cheap that no other semi rugged alternative is worth exploring.

they sell insanely well here due to the amount of trade workers liking them as a cheap but rugged device that won't just break because you dropped it at head height. 

idk

12 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

they sell insanely well here due to the amount of trade workers liking them as a cheap but rugged device that won't just break because you dropped it at head height. 

25 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

The real Nokia 3310 (2017)

But will it run Snake? 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

But will it run Snake? 

probably. with multiplayer.

idk

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

Well, if you really want a durable phone I'd suggest the CAT phones.

The only downside of the phone is its screen resolution but other than that they're tough as nails.

Even if you're able to break one, they have a great warranty service. I know because someone I know had a small issue with his.

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

im a trade worker, and i work in cold ass climates... since you're 'strailian you prob dont see the issue of cold weather that often. Snow, ice, half frozen mist.... these Xcover phones fucking hate anything below +10C with a passion. Their screens stop responding/registrering touch properly around +5C, at -10C they just dont work, you have to heat up the phone for it to respond in a functional way (only tapping work in cold weather. Swiping doesnt. GL getting the screen lock off)

Just now, Prysin said:

im a trade worker, and i work in cold ass climates... since you're 'strailian you prob dont see the issue of cold weather that often. Snow, ice, half frozen mist.... these Xcover phones fucking hate anything below +10C with a passion. Their screens stop responding/registrering touch properly around +5C, at -10C they just dont work, you have to heat up the phone for it to respond in a functional way (only tapping work in cold weather. Swiping doesnt. GL getting the screen lock off)

Yeah, in AU it's always really fucking warm. This year, during the summer, it has not been below 10c outside my room. 

idk

1 hour ago, HarmFull said:

Well, if you really want a durable phone I'd suggest the CAT phones.

The only downside of the phone is its screen resolution but other than that they're tough as nails.

Even if you're able to break one, they have a great warranty service. I know because someone I know had a small issue with his.

CAT.

Catastrophically Atrocious Trash

we bought cat phones after the Xcover 3 starting taking a piss for many of us. We bought the low and mid range ones, aka same price range as the Xcover phones. While CAT is famous for their rugged machinery, they should stay the fuck away from electronics. I swear, we have had people with Iphones lasting longer with equally poor handling, as the CAT phones did. CAT is overrated, and they do NOT like mist, rain or cold weather. Yes, it says on the paper that it is waterproof, but we have had 4-5 of these phones fail simply due to moisture penetration. The last time the owner glued every port but the charger/USB port, with epoxy glue. and it STILL crapped out after a few days working in rain and snow.

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

CAT.

Catastrophically Atrocious Trash

we bought cat phones after the Xcover 3 starting taking a piss for many of us. We bought the low and mid range ones, aka same price range as the Xcover phones. While CAT is famous for their rugged machinery, they should stay the fuck away from electronics. I swear, we have had people with Iphones lasting longer with equally poor handling, as the CAT phones did. CAT is overrated, and they do NOT like mist, rain or cold weather. Yes, it says on the paper that it is waterproof, but we have had 4-5 of these phones fail simply due to moisture penetration. The last time the owner glued every port but the charger/USB port, with epoxy glue. and it STILL crapped out after a few days working in rain and snow.

Well I guess (after also reading the conditiions that you work in) that the only options left is 2 cans and a wire for you :P

@Prysin

These phones aren't meant to be resilliant against extreme weather conditions. They are just meant to withstand drops from head height and a splash.

This Xcover 4, however, has a high military standard, so it should be fine in conditions you stated. IDK, give it a shot.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

@Prysin

These phones aren't meant to be resilliant against extreme weather conditions. They are just meant to withstand drops from head height and a splash.

This Xcover 4, however, has a high military standard, so it should be fine in conditions you stated. IDK, give it a shot.

Extreme? Where the fuck do you live if - 10c is extreme???? 

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

Extreme? Where the fuck do you live if - 10c is extreme???? 

Wait... -10C? How the fuck did I read -20C???

Well... idk... even my Alcatel OT-990 works just fine even on the coldest of winters...

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Wait... -10C? How the fuck did I read -20C???

Well... idk... even my Alcatel OT-990 works just fine even on the coldest of winters...

well it can get -35c with windchill here... but that is very rare as i live in the south of Norway, around 1600km from the arctic circle.

12 hours ago, Droidbot said:

-snip-

Gresso-3310.jpg (615×409)

This one is made out of Titanium, so ye this one it is :D. Its buttons are also made of Titanium.

Groomlake Authority