GTX 1070 SLI or GTX 1080Ti

I currently have two brand new GTX 1070 Strix cards in SLI, and I am considering switching to the GTX 1080Ti when it arrives. My question is, is it worth it? Will I see an appreciable enough performance gain to justify selling 2 cards to get one? Advice, Wisdom and Thoughts appreciated. 

IMG_20170306_183419.jpg

[ Intel i7-7700K ][ Asus Z270E Gaming ][ Asus Strix GTX 1080 ][ 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB ][ Thermaltake Core P3 Snow ][Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm][ 3xThermaltake RIING 120mm RGB Fans ][ EVGA NEX750B ][ 1x500GB Samsung 960 EVO (OS) ][ 1x500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Data) ][ 2x2TB Seagate ][ Elgato HD60 Pro ]

2 minutes ago, AC1DFOX said:

I currently have two brand new GTX 1070 Strix cards in SLI, and I am considering switching to the GTX 1080Ti when it arrives. My question is, is it worth it? Will I see an appreciable enough performance gain to justify selling 2 cards to get one? Advice, Wisdom and Thoughts appreciated. 

IMG_20170306_183419.jpg

We will find out once the the embargo is lifted on the 1080ti.

I would say so. A Titan X is considerably better than any other card from Nvidia, or from AMD as far as I know, so when the proclaimed "fastest Nvidia GPU ever" comes out, I would say it would be better. Now, is it worth it? If you have the money and need for it, sure! But if you don't, do not bother switching. You've already got yourself a really nice computer.

4 minutes ago, boltoflightning said:

I would say so. A Titan X is considerably better than any other card from Nvidia, or from AMD as far as I know, so when the proclaimed "fastest Nvidia GPU ever" comes out, I would say it would be better. Now, is it worth it? If you have the money and need for it, sure! But if you don't, do not bother switching. You've already got yourself a really nice computer.

That's where my inner struggle is. The 1070 in SLI actually outperforms the TitanX in quite a few benchmarks. But With the promise of TitanX crushing power.. I am intrigued by the 1080Ti

[ Intel i7-7700K ][ Asus Z270E Gaming ][ Asus Strix GTX 1080 ][ 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB ][ Thermaltake Core P3 Snow ][Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm][ 3xThermaltake RIING 120mm RGB Fans ][ EVGA NEX750B ][ 1x500GB Samsung 960 EVO (OS) ][ 1x500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Data) ][ 2x2TB Seagate ][ Elgato HD60 Pro ]

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Are the GPUs you currently have performing up to your expectations?

If so, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. Hold onto them as long as you can.

Yessir, by far they are. However, I am still waiting on a solid SLI profile, to optimize and make them work even better. And I wouldn't have to worry about that with the 1080Ti being a single card. @CapedCrusader21 made a really valid point to wait until the embargo lifts and we see real world tests and numbers. Grrr...

Here's my view on it. 1070 SLI is just about the same, or a little better, than the Titan XP. Considering that the 1080Ti is probably going to be fastest than the Titan XP, I would say it's your best bet. Besides, you can still sell your 1070's for a decent price because they didn't get very effected by 1080 price drops.

Edit: I currently have 980 Ti SLI, and I don't really like SLI because of the problems with it

I had SLI several times, it works fine for benchs, especially 3DMark,...for games, that's another history in these days.

My last one was 2xTxp, sold already one of them...I would recommend to avoid SLI and get a better single card solution like the 1080Ti.

Just now, jeppouza said:

I had SLI several times, it works fine for benchs, especially 3DMark,...for games, that's another history in these days.

My last one was 2xTxp, sold already one of them...I would recommend to avoid SLI and get a better single card solution like the 1080Ti.

That's my problem. It's immense power AVAILABLE. But in real world performance in games... Well, I get 90-100 FPS in Sniper Elite 4 on Ultra, but 7D2D struggles at 45-60FPS. It's so hit or miss. 

12 minutes ago, AC1DFOX said:

That's my problem. It's immense power AVAILABLE.

Exactly, there's so many problems with SLI that it's not worth it imo, since performance is so hit or miss, I'd rather have a single card that I know will work consistently and reliably. You could sell both of your 1070s, which you could probably do at about $400 each, which is more than enough for a 1080 ti founders edition, then you could wait for a slightly more expensive superclocked edition to come out and buy that. At least that's what I would do. Performance might fall short on a couple things, (which we won't know about for sure until we get some more real world benchmarks) but I think it would be a more stable and consistent experience overall.