BSOD driver_irql_not_less_or_equal when playing games

I have had this issue for quite a while now and I haven't found a solution yet (obviously). Every once in a while (sometimes it doesn't occur for days, sometimes multiple times an evening), when I play a game, my machine will bsod with error code driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. I thought I had resolved the issue when I discovered a faulty mouse driver but I have since replaced all my peripherals and the issue still persists. I also read that a defective storage medium might be the issue but just today I swapped out my SSD for another one I had lying around and did a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Still no improvement. CPU and GPU temps are well in check (around 45°C on the CPU, GPU maxing out at 77°C) so I don't think that's what's causing the problem. My CPU is overclocked to 4.6GHz @ 1.365V but I already tried removing the OC without any improvement. As far as I can remember I even swapped out the GPU without any improvement whatsoever. I'm really at a loss here so if anyone could take a look at the dmp file I included I would be eternally grateful.

Specs:

CPU: i5-6600k @4.6GHz 1.365V cooled by CM Hyper 212X

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

MB: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

RAM: HyperX Fury Black 2x8GB DDR4 @2133MHz

KB: Corsair K70 lux RGB

Mouse: Corsair M65 pro RGB

NZXT Hue+

030617-4953-01.dmp

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

In my opinion the most likely problem is a driver or a piece of software.  Of course it could be something else, but in my experience every time I get a BSOD with that error it is caused by a driver issue. 

My recommendation is to download BlueScreenViewer, and to check the dump file.  Then you can look at the service or driver that triggered the crash and investigate it.  It's important to know that this isn't always reliable, and that it might not display entirely useful information.  Since I am not a Windows professional I can't tell you what would be wrong.  But if you do that, and post a screenshot of bluescreenview with the dump file being read by the software I will attempt to troubleshoot the problem with you if you want.

But if you want to try and solve the problem without doing this, your best bet is to uninstall any problematic software like antivirus which can interfere with OS operation including drivers and software, and remove any overclocking software and overclocks.  You should also update your drivers, uninstall any incorrect drivers and replace them with the correct ones, and just to be sure run a memtest using the built in Windows memory testing software, and run for a few passes. 

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I already analysed the dmp with whocrashed (sounds like bluescreenviewer is very similar to this) and it says ntoskrnl.exe crashed. Since that is just the Windows kernel that basically didn't tell me anything at all.

Currently running memtest86 and I didn't have antivirus installed in today's Windows install

WHIPLASH

I see: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x000000d1 -->  This issue occurs because of an error in the Acpi.sys system driver. The Acpi.sys system driver returns an incorrect flag that causes the device to be regarded as a PCI device instead of a child of the PCI bus.

cause by driver ntoskrnl.exe with ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0 and ntoskrnl.exe+14f21f

mouse or keyb fault.

Dump file lists ntoskrnl.exe as the probable cause. This is a Windows System file and for it to be the cause of your crash is highly unlikely.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows.

I would  triple check my ram, and do some memory check for the GPU.

not much help...

Simple rules:

- If it works, dont update it.

- You don't know how, just do it, you will learn.

- Test, restest, test again, and maybe it will do it.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=919931

1 minute ago, stratege1401 said:

not much help...

Well, at least you pointed me into the direction of RAM issues. I will let memtest86 do its thing overnight and see if my memory is faulty. TBH I may just RMA it even if memtest86 doesn't spit out any errors since I have basically swapped everything in this system except for the mobo, psu, cpu and ram. thanks for looking into this for me!

WHIPLASH

iim having the same problem but whea uncorrectable andbkernwl sexuritt also but i think i know y now not 100% sure yet event viewer said the applicatio settings specific permission settings do not grant local activision permission for com server application  and appid blah blah to lazy to check it gonna have tech fix 

Alright I've had memtest86 running for the past 14 hours and it didn't show any errors so my ram appears to be alright. Could the motherboard be at fault?

WHIPLASH