Windows 9.5 Install Guide

On 5/30/2017 at 1:47 AM, indrora said:

First, don't use LTSB as a base. Not only are normal consumers not supposed to get LTSB, It's going to be behind. 

using LTSB as a base is unsafe, as it's intended for "things that won't ever touch the internet for years and years and need to be kept in as stable a stasis as possible." It's a response to the cries for Windows Embedded to have a roll-outable version for non-OEM customers. You'll also lose app compat for newer applications: 14393 and 15063 were both huge leaps in terms of stability and brought in a bunch of new APIs that are being used by a lot of people. For a good list, see the ChangeWindows changelog for 14393.

Second, let the system do most of your work for you. The tweaks to bring back Aero put a heavier strain on system resources (with the new Fluent Acrylic being a very GPU-driven thing with lots of small optimizations). 

Third, don't disable Windows Defender. Really. It's the only thing that gets definitions four times a day (seriously!) and actually has good long-term support.

Fourth, don't distribute a sysprep image, it's against the EULA and you're violating the license. I don't think LTT would think kindly of piracy. 

I see, how can I strip down Windows 10 Pro to make it more like LTSB so general people can use it and also I'm not distributing it here. I'm just asking for help and feedback to perfect it. Doesn't LTSB always get security patches though? It should be fine if that's all its getting.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎31 at 4:01 PM, Shamoy12345 said:

I see, how can I strip down Windows 10 Pro to make it more like LTSB so general people can use it and also I'm not distributing it here. I'm just asking for help and feedback to perfect it. Doesn't LTSB always get security patches though? It should be fine if that's all its getting.

LTSB gets updates... just slower. 

It's also against the EULA to distribute modified Windows installation media. Doesn't stop a lot of people, but if you want to be above board, you're going to want to go the way of TronScript. You can either distribute a tool that lets someone modify the install media themselves (totally legit) or does it after the fact (totally legit) but distributing the actual modified version is not clean.

See also: A lot of game translations. It's legal to distribute the *patches* but not the *patched* data. This means you can take a copy -- gotten however you feel is right -- and modify it in the same way. The tool to do so would be the Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) that Microsoft has: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit -- I believe you can export (for lack of a better term) a recipe that lets you automatically modify an install image in the same way multiple times or in different variants. 

Also be aware that different language versions of windows may be slightly different between versions, as are Desktop/Server/LTSB/N/etc internally. There's a lot of moving parts, ADK/AIK does a lot to smooth that out and is intended for admins pushing something out to a  thousand systems at once. 

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 4:58 PM, jfarre20 said:

i ran DXDIAG on my LTSB virtual machine - it says DX 12 so it looks like we are good 2 go

This just means you have DX12 installed, not that it works. Dxdiag is a really bad tool at figuring out dx problems nowadays because vendors lie. 

can we annihilate the backdoor of win10?

btw uninstall UWP is really dangerous , i was broken hole uwp ( include appstore  edge even destop start screen )  more then 10 times because i try to uninatall some system app only solve is reinstall win10

I was mad at Microsoft when I install Windows 10 for the first time: where did the aero effect go ????

Until I saw this video. Thx Linus.

On 5/30/2017 at 7:47 AM, indrora said:

First, don't use LTSB as a base. Not only are normal consumers not supposed to get LTSB, It's going to be behind. 

using LTSB as a base is unsafe, as it's intended for "things that won't ever touch the internet for years and years and need to be kept in as stable a stasis as possible." It's a response to the cries for Windows Embedded to have a roll-outable version for non-OEM customers. You'll also lose app compat for newer applications: 14393 and 15063 were both huge leaps in terms of stability and brought in a bunch of new APIs that are being used by a lot of people. For a good list, see the ChangeWindows changelog for 14393.

Second, let the system do most of your work for you. The tweaks to bring back Aero put a heavier strain on system resources (with the new Fluent Acrylic being a very GPU-driven thing with lots of small optimizations). 

Third, don't disable Windows Defender. Really. It's the only thing that gets definitions four times a day (seriously!) and actually has good long-term support.

Fourth, don't distribute a sysprep image, it's against the EULA and you're violating the license. I don't think LTT would think kindly of piracy. 

I am interested in knowing how can LTSB, be "unsafe?" Have you used it? As someone, who might or might not be using it, I can say it is just as the normal Windows, just stripped out. There is a number of ways to sideload store and other apps and customize it to your liking. Also it gets all of the security updates, the same way normal Windows 10 does... So there is no reason not to stay connected to the internet if you are on LTSB. The only thing LTSB doesn't get is feature updates like RS (Red Stone, etc). If you want those you will need to obtain a new version of LTSB that has them and upgrade manually. Windows is not going to prompt you that an update is due. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎28 at 4:12 AM, Analog said:

I am interested in knowing how can LTSB, be "unsafe?" Have you used it? As someone, who might or might not be using it, I can say it is just as the normal Windows, just stripped out.

The documentation [ https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview ] lines it out pretty clearly:

Long-term Servicing Branch

Specialized systems—such as PCs that control medical equipment, point-of-sale systems, and ATMs—often require a longer servicing option because of their purpose.

it goes on to say something very important:

LTSB is not intended for deployment on most or all the PCs in an organization; it should be used only for special-purpose devices. As a general guideline, a PC with Microsoft Office installed is a general-purpose device, typically used by an information worker, and therefore it is better suited for the CB or CBB servicing branch.

(emphasis mine)

You aren't getting kernel patches without doing manual feature upgrades in most cases: The situations that LTSB is built for are environments where the hardware that might not work on a newer build of windows; this is the OEMs being bad: one of the (bad) habits that driver makers do is to say "OH YEAH WE'RE BUILT FOR <the current version of Windows the system says it's running>" and then they fall over when Windows' API surface is wrong, despite Windows having a system to keep the API surface for drivers stable as long as they say "I was built against <a specific version of Windows' driver API>" and letting Windows do its thing. I suspect this is why on Surface 1/2, one particular build caused wifi to go away and the only solution was to roll back a build. Yes, this is why sometimes when you upgrade windows, things break: Literally, It's driver makers being lazy and not doing The Right Thing(tm).

It's also not properly licensed without an enterprise license (thus: you're in the wrong in the eyes of at least Microsoft, and possibly your local jurisdiction's piracy laws), plus caveats apply:

LTSB is available only in the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB edition. [...] if you need to run a Windows Store app, you should not use Windows 10 LTSB on that device.

(again, emphasis mine)

"Safe" contains the requirement of being in a "supported configuration" -- read: the system components have not been modified outside what is commonly done. LTSB being used on the desktop.

I really don't care if you hamstring your own personal copy of Windows. Don't encourage others to do the same. 

• 5 weeks later...

Can I download the pre-made one shown in the vid?

System Stability? More like system unstability

On 3/7/2017 at 0:16 AM, tomg said:

i am building a 9.5 ISO following the steps above, does anyone want that version?

On 3/7/2017 at 0:16 AM, tomg said:

i am building a 9.5 ISO following the steps above, does anyone want that version?

That would be good!

• 3 weeks later...

Fresh Windows 10 install after ISO modifications using MSMG Toolkit. a tip to get Creators Update ISO files from Microsoft themselves, all you need to do is get a user agent switcher for your browser and make it say you're using a different OS than Windows, which unlocks downloading the ISO files themselves straight from MS. Apparently this works since it makes it "easier" for people not running Windows to go and grab it.

No Telemetry no Cortana no.. well much of anything as you can see. I'm not a benchmarking guy so I don't know if this improves or degrades performance in any way. A word of advice using the MSMG Toolkit is that it's 3rd party, so use at your own risk, watch YouTube tutorials, and back up your data.

Screenshot (1).png

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2017 at 8:16 AM, tomg said:

Yes i want it

• 4 weeks later...

I followed the instructions on both my computers with the exception of using UltraUX Theme Patcher 3.30 instead of UxTheme. On my gaming rig it went perfectly. On my Smasung Laptop my minimize, restore, and exit buttons along with my title bars refused to change. What did I miss?

• 4 months later...

sc config diagtrack start= disabled

"config" was kind of missing there it seems.

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2017 at 5:49 PM, aaronfranke said:

If you want 9.0: Website: https://www.eastcoast.hosting/Windows9/ Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/file/x484t29mrmwfoig/Windows_9_v1.94.7z

Note that this does not come with any activation tools whatsoever and is therefore not an illegal source of Windows. From the website: "This image is provided with no license key, therefore it is not an illegal source of windows. Users must provide their own license key for activation."

If you need a license and are a student, you can get a free Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro license from Microsoft Imagine (formerly DreamSpark). Otherwise it is for OEMs only. However, it is worth noting that you used to be able to purchase it, I remember it cost significantly more than a regular Windows license, I think it was about $200.

Also nicklmg if you would be so kind as to changing my username to "aaronfranke" I don't know why it's just a bunch of numbers and I appear to be unable to change my username manually...

Although, this seems like a less involved solution, it does seem that it is vastly different from the 9.5 version in the OP simply because 9.5 is Windows 10 while this version (Windows 9) is based on Windows 8.

Just a be aware to those seeking the less involved option because it might present some directX issues. 

I think the version listed in the OP is more suitable for gamers and the version I'm going with because it seems unlikely that Microsoft will be providing keys for that version as its catalog lists the Enterprise version of Windows 8 as unavailable on Imagine. 

https://imagine.microsoft.com/en-us/catalog

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2017 at 6:09 PM, tomg said:

I am actually building an ISO img now, but i dont know if there is any legal way to share it without breaking laws or rules...

Did you ever post it? If not I can distribute it for you so you don't catch any trouble, if you did I'd love to take a look at it

My problem with Windows 10 are neither the looks, nor the telemetry.

The real problems for me are: 

- Forced updates

- Settings roulette after every update.

- Automatic software removal without prompt, if the windows updater logic thinks the software *might* be incompatible with the new version of Windows.

I read this topic with great interest, but I find that it concerns itself with telemetry, visuals and relatively minor (to me) functional differences.

Sure, some of that would be good to get rid off or change. 

But what makes Windows 10 completely untenable to me does not seem to be solved.

Here's how those problems actually work out:

- You laboriously disabled Windows Wake Timers, so windows won't start up the computer in the middle of the night just to look for stupid updates.

After some update further down the line, all the wake timers have been enabled again.  3 Hours of my life I can't get back.

- You tell windows never to update or reboot without prompting you and you set it so it won't do it by some count-down timer elapsing either.

A few updates later, Microsoft reset it, so while you made coffee in the kitchen, your computer is now on an update cycle, that the onscreen message describes with  "This may take some time, please do not turn off the computer"  This naturally, while I'm on a deadline

- Another time, I need to write a letter, only to find, that Microsoft Office has evaporated!  I can't find it anywhere. There was no notification, it was simply removed.  I try to re-install it and get a notification that my key was only good for one installation... What?  This actually happened before once on an older machine of mine, where I couldn't do a second installation - Note the difference - we're not talking about a pirated copy, but a legal piece of software, that you can't re-install in case you have removed it or your drive died or whatever.

My entire DAW Software system - which takes a full day to install - got removed by Windows Update! No prompt. No "is this ok we remove that or should we abort the update?"  

I don't have windows to have windows - I have it to run the software of my choice.  If there's ever a question between keeping my software functional vs updating windows, it'll be my software I keep.

Windows should be an obsequious butler on MY computer, not try to be the master.  This is what's wrong and probably will never be righted.

All the security threats are probably put in the wild just so our corporate overlords can wrest control over our machines from us.

Breaking and Entering, Computer Hacking - who at Microshaft gets the prison time?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

great guide! Only one thing:

In my windows settings, the back button is gone.

can anyone give me a hint how to restore it?

Edit:
Okay, it seems like AeroGlass is not compatible with the recent windows updates.  After my last restart, I got an incompatibility error from aero glass because of the DWM (although I changed the reg according to this guide)

nobackbutton.png

35 minutes ago, Zitzenfuzler said:

Hi,

great guide! Only one thing:

In my windows settings, the back button is gone.

can anyone give me a hint how to restore it?

Edit:
Okay, it seems like AeroGlass is not compatible with the recent windows updates.  After my last restart, I got an incompatibility error from aero glass because of the DWM (although I changed the reg according to this guide)

Looks like you're running Windows 10. This guide isn't for Windows 10 but for Windows 8.1 ;) 

Windows 10 shouldn't be themed. It breaks every 6 months with new updates.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

47 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Looks like you're running Windows 10. This guide isn't for Windows 10 but for Windows 8.1 ;) 

Windows 10 shouldn't be themed. It breaks every 6 months with new updates.

It was working very good so far..

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177795-aeroglass-stopped-working-for-me/?do=findComment&amp;comment=1154891
this just fixed the DWM error

Edit:

Also, this post starts with:
"o   Start from a fresh install of Windows 10  "

But I will just skip the AeroGlass part. The demo popup at every startup was annoying anyways

• 2 months later...
On 3/7/2017 at 1:16 AM, tomg said:

I would very much like this version..if you still got it.. Now I'm using 7 ultimate because 10 scared the crap out of me in regard to privacy violation. Can I install your 9.5 directly after whipping one of my harddrives or must a clean updated version of 10 be pre-installed?

Sorry if I ask what might seem obvious but I am not used to writting and reading in English, I'm from Netherland.

Peace

Edited by legion7272
I forgot a word, as I explained I'm not used to writting in English.

• 4 months later...

My apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but I was wondering if anyone here indeed made an ISO from this?
I can only hope that I can follow the instructions in the OP... by the way, how does one even create an .iso of their OS after making all these changes to it?

• 1 month later...

So... nobody did the .ISO? 
Someone please help a n00b, I can't believe there's no reaction, even after all this time...

@ Genwyn:

Vista in this day and age is such a joke, I'm not even sure whether you're trolling or serious.
But I must admit that after all the discussion across so many pages, it's still not clear whether people have made this work or not.

And yes, it's a horrible moment to be stuck between an OS you like (Win7) but which is being phased out, and a piece of crap full of spyware and forced updates, which more often than not screw up your system (Win10).

---

Later edit:
In the meantime, I took a look at the version posted on page 5. Even a modified Windows 8 is preferable to the Windows 10 abomination.

• 1 month later...

Hi Linus iv'e been wanting to do this for a long time now Windows 9 was developed and scraped just as Windows Longhorn was to develop Windows 10 it did look a lot like Windows 10 with some features being trashed that i would've loved to see also in Windows 10 the OS was available on the Microsoft Insider page under the for Developers section and then Legacy Windows builds where you could actually get Windows Longhorn as well as Windows 9 

• 2 months later...

well that was easy. Also why all the windows 7 themeing stuff? only need half of it to look between 8 and 10.

Annotation 2020-01-01 150342.png