Windows 9.5 Install Guide

On 14.3.2017 at 7:27 AM, Niksa said:

2016 edition is equivalent to anniversary patch one and it is not possible to upgrade 2015 version to anniversary because LTSB only receives security and bug fix patches, not feature update ones.

that is kind of what i like about it. no unnecessary updates.

i don't care much about new features, i just want a stable os that does not get in the way. right now i am stil on windows 7 wich does a fine job for now but the time will come when DX12 and thus windows 10 will be mandatory. 

On 3/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, KenjiUmino said:

THANK YOU for pointing me in this direction - i did not know that a no bullshit edition LTSB version of windows 10 is existing. i downloaded an ISO and installed it on a VM to see what it is like. 

and WOW ... this might be a windows 10 version i could actually live with ... first thing i noticed as i opened the start menu for the first time is the complete absence of all the bloatware modern apps that make windows 10 oh-so-exciting.

no live tiles, no MS store, no mail, calendar, or weather app in sight.

no cortana with forced conveniently integrated web search. just a plain old search bar instead, only able to search on the local system.

also, no "free" solitaire with ads and in app purchases

and i don't know where the "wanna try office 365 ?" messages went - i have not seem them since i installed it yesterday. not. once.

long story short: THIS is what it looks like (don't mind chrome and portableapps - i installed that manually)

now the only thing i need to find out is how an average nerd not affiliated with a big corporation wich buys volume licenses by the dozen can legally acquire a license key for windows 10 LTSB without paying an arm and a leg for it. 

can anyone help me out with that ??? pretty please ?

Short answer is - you can't. You can't as a private customer physically buy this LTSB version even if you had the money to do so. Microsoft will simply not allow it. However, needless to say, there are other ways of registering Windows. ;) I can't say more than that, due to the fact that this will be against the code of conduct of this site and Microsoft.  

PS: If you decide to use it as a main OS, I can send you some links to automated registry editors that will install the store app, classic Windows Photo Viewer (the one from Windows 7) and media apps, as those are required for some games like Forza Horizon 3 to function properly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I kept on reading the title as "windows 95 install guide". xD:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 3/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, KenjiUmino said:

THANK YOU for pointing me in this direction - i did not know that a no bullshit edition LTSB version of windows 10 is existing. i downloaded an ISO and installed it on a VM to see what it is like. 

(...)

now the only thing i need to find out is how an average nerd not affiliated with a big corporation wich buys volume licenses by the dozen can legally acquire a license key for windows 10 LTSB without paying an arm and a leg for it. 

can anyone help me out with that ??? pretty please ?

That may be another possibility. Or checking Windows Server? After all, back in the day many switched to Windows 2000 do to its superior stability compared to 98. Eventually, Microsoft brought NT to everyone with XP. We may need to "play off equilibrium" again till the situation changes...

soo... made an account just to reply to this topic. People keep talking about weird enterprise versions of windows (LTSB), and I actually have the same question about the "education edition"

Is there a way to get DX12 on those editions? Is DX12 something we care about?

according to this Microsoft page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare

directx 12 is only on Home, and Pro, and is not supported on Education, Enterprise, or mobile editions.

EDIT: Maybe this project was meant for the non-gamers in the crowd

11 hours ago, brittains said:

directx 12 is only on Home, and Pro, and is not supported on Education, Enterprise, or mobile editions.

oh, thanks for pointing that out - so anything else than windows 10 pro or home is out of the question for gamers. duh!

On 3/17/2017 at 10:56 PM, brittains said:

Wow, really? That sucks. It looks like Server 2016 has DX12, can anyone confirm?

I honestly hope dx12 falls to Vulkan...

On 3/8/2017 at 3:00 AM, Jervi said:

I might just have access to Windows 8.1 Embedded Pro for free ;)

You jelly???

same, so not really. 

Hi guys!

I literally just signed up to the forum for this.

Turning WLAN Autoconfig from Automatic to Manual may lead to no wifi connection!

I found out the hard way.

I followed the guide steps and disabled the services in the list. All was good for a couple weeks. Then I updated Windows 10 and The WiFi wouldn't work. No networks available, not even a menu in the Settings -> Network tab. I blamed Microsoft, Acer, the chip manufacturer, all of them. I spent 1 hour troubleshooting this. Turns out it was my fault.

Just a heads up!

On 16/03/2017 at 5:25 PM, Analog said:

Short answer is - you can't. You can't as a private customer physically buy this LTSB version even if you had the money to do so. Microsoft will simply not allow it. However, needless to say, there are other ways of registering Windows. ;) I can't say more than that, due to the fact that this will be against the code of conduct of this site and Microsoft.  

PS: If you decide to use it as a main OS, I can send you some links to automated registry editors that will install the store app, classic Windows Photo Viewer (the one from Windows 7) and media apps, as those are required for some games like Forza Horizon 3 to function properly.

Could you send me those links? - I'm installing that version today. :)

12 hours ago, SnippyMcBasket said:

Hi guys!

I literally just signed up to the forum for this.

Turning WLAN Autoconfig from Automatic to Manual may lead to no wifi connection!

I found out the hard way.

I followed the guide steps and disabled the services in the list. All was good for a couple weeks. Then I updated Windows 10 and The WiFi wouldn't work. No networks available, not even a menu in the Settings -> Network tab. I blamed Microsoft, Acer, the chip manufacturer, all of them. I spent 1 hour troubleshooting this. Turns out it was my fault.

Just a heads up!

Ah yes, I too have made an ISO of Windows with everything pre-disabled.

And as my desktop doesn't have WIFI, and VM's don't either, it all looked perfect.

Until I installed it on a laptop... Wifi card perma-disabled.

Somehow forcing it to enable, still can't see any SSID's (Acting like the wifi card doesn't exist).

Thanks for pointing out exactly what it wrong, saves me from trying to figure it out myself. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2017 at 11:16 AM, OPSJono said:

Do you have an installable version of Windows using sysprep/dism which works?

I've been trying to get an OOBE image going but even after making all the modifications in Audit mode, none of it's there after the OOBE installation finishes (on the subject or new PC)

well, what you do, is install Windows, put it in Audit mode, update, install, all that. for finishing touches on the after-install, you'll need some startup scripts to do the rest. or thats how i do it. i lost my sysprepped Windows install, so it depends, you just need to do some testing, for it to actually work.

On 3/13/2017 at 5:16 AM, Ykno said:

Am I right in thinking a image capture for a .wim file does not keep the installed programs in the wim pre installed so if you put it on another machine id need to install all the add on programs again?

the preinstalled apps after sysprepping, still work, but if they write in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, youll need to find a way to copy those registry entries over to the new user profile after installation

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.3.2017 at 3:56 PM, jfarre20 said:

Wow, really? That sucks. It looks like Server 2016 has DX12, can anyone confirm?

I honestly hope dx12 falls to Vulkan...

i ran DXDIAG on my LTSB virtual machine - it says DX 12 so it looks like we are good 2 go

58ece8b1f09f0_VirtualBox_Windows10LTSB_11_04_2017_16_24_38.png.c457fb74c7e0ebb2294fc4d9f1fe09d5.png

something within all the tweaks is breaking Sign-in on the Creator's Update.i had to revrt back to AU because i'd login (i have a connected MS Account instead of a local account.) and it blinks the screen twice pfft. back to user sign in.  as well in teh troubleshooting forum section in MSFN for AeroGlass8 have stated theres no Compatable DWMGlass.dll for Windows 10 CU so i'd suggest wait on updating if you can or Uninstall things till it can be resolved.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:31 AM, KenjiUmino said:

DXDIAG

That's really good to know. Thanks!
I need to find someone to do this on the Education version so I can decide if I need to spend the extra 100 bucks on home.

On 4/1/2017 at 3:57 PM, coconut said:

the preinstalled apps after sysprepping, still work, but if they write in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, youll need to find a way to copy those registry entries over to the new user profile after installation

Check the registry hive "Default". Load it from C:\Users\Default\ntuser.dat

Anything here gets copied to the user's profile during first login. 

On 4/11/2017 at 9:31 AM, KenjiUmino said:

i ran DXDIAG on my LTSB virtual machine - it says DX 12 so it looks like we are good 2 go

I am liking server 2k16 so far. :)

2k16.png

I still got some more work to do, the network icon doesn't fit the theme, the colors are a bit off, the caption buttons are too large, and the start orb doesn't seem to be centered. Maybe Aero glass should can make a return. 

On 4/13/2017 at 6:58 PM, jfarre20 said:

I am liking server 2k16 so far. :)

I still got some more work to do, the network icon doesn't fit the theme, the colors are a bit off, the caption buttons are too large, and the start orb doesn't seem to be centered. Maybe Aero glass should can make a return. 

96 GB of RAM ... jeeeeesuz

On 4/17/2017 at 3:32 PM, KenjiUmino said:

96 GB of RAM ... jeeeeesuz

My second PC is a used server I got on eBay. I love this thing. 

15 hours ago, jfarre20 said:

My second PC is a used server I got on eBay. I love this thing. 

how many slots can you fill up on a space engineers game server before RAM starts to fill up ?

a 16gb machine with 4 people playing hits the ceiling in no time

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm working on a project called Windows 10 Mint based off LTSB N x64. It's mostly finished but I have a few tweaks left to apply, a few more programs and features to remove and Sysprep generalize isn't working. Basically this version eliminates OneDrive, disables WIndows Defender, disables all telemetry services, comes with Chromium, VLC, 7-Zip by default, doesn't come with Cortana (comes with search only with no tracking). It also only comes with Windows Store, Reader, Photos, Calculator as the only UWP apps. It only uses 600mb of RAM on idle and 6GB of hard disk space. Personal Docs was made to replace My Documents since a lot of programs dump their bogus configuration and preference files there. Power plans were modified to make 3 simplistic Performance, Balanced, and Power Saving plans. I'd like to request all of you if we could merge all our projects into this. Currently its only a VirtualBox image which I'm planning to sysprep generalize so people can just flash it onto their hard drives or SSDs without going through the pain of installing Windows. Perhaps we could make an ISO that comes in the same way as this image so people can have their dream version of Windows as soon as they install it. Photos of Windows 10 have been attached below. Also the google drive link for the VirtualBox .vhd file and the build instructions are located in the google drive link below.

Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XOpN-YuPQrWjExcTIzdS15M3M (read build instructions first and zip file has the .vhd image file in it)

Desktop.png.e3fbdf50afc07cd88338c02978c5081b.pngStartMenuOpened.png.6ca875bd60d9c4f90c16cad795f69c2d.png

5906d5a2e2754_RAMusage.png.75b08c6caccf59d3a7c509c3cf77a86d.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 3:09 AM, Shamoy12345 said:

Hey guys, I'm working on a project called Windows 10 Mint based off LTSB N x64.....

This is really cool!

On 5/13/2017 at 10:58 AM, jfarre20 said:

This is really cool!

Yes, I'd like as much help as possible from anyone. This version of Windows has a whole different feel.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:25 PM, nicklmg said:
-snip-

Let's merge out projects together, except with LTSB.

What's wrong with this? Let me count the ways.

I won't even touch Telemetry. If you think telemetry is spying on you alone and it's just a backdoor, I'd suggest adjusting that tinfoil hat of yours. diagtrack disable doesn't work on non-enterprise SKUs, I'm pretty sure. It's intended as a part of a GPO.

• Disabling BITS is bad. Don't do it. You'll mess up WU and a bunch of other stuff. 
  • WLAN Auto Config being turned off is a good way to not get working wifi. A bunch of chipsets depend on it (or turn it back on)
  • with regards to the visual tweaks, fine, whatever, you're just risking an unstable system.
  • One day that copy of msconfig and task manager you're pulling from 7 is gonna break.
  • Removing User Data Storage may in future break your ability to log in. Don't.
  • Removing Photos may destroy your ability to open JPEGs or other images, possibly more. Caveat lector.
  • Hacking things away with registry tweaks won't hold, as hand-made registry edits are rarely held over between feature updates. This is a side-effect of working around the horrible things OEMs do to the Windows install base (like replace strings -- Looking at you, Dell -- and tamper with system files)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 4:14 AM, indrora said:

What's wrong with this? Let me count the ways.

I won't even touch Telemetry. If you think telemetry is spying on you alone and it's just a backdoor, I'd suggest adjusting that tinfoil hat of yours. diagtrack disable doesn't work on non-enterprise SKUs, I'm pretty sure. It's intended as a part of a GPO.

• Disabling BITS is bad. Don't do it. You'll mess up WU and a bunch of other stuff. 
  • WLAN Auto Config being turned off is a good way to not get working wifi. A bunch of chipsets depend on it (or turn it back on)
  • with regards to the visual tweaks, fine, whatever, you're just risking an unstable system.
  • One day that copy of msconfig and task manager you're pulling from 7 is gonna break.
  • Removing User Data Storage may in future break your ability to log in. Don't.
  • Removing Photos may destroy your ability to open JPEGs or other images, possibly more. Caveat lector.
  • Hacking things away with registry tweaks won't hold, as hand-made registry edits are rarely held over between feature updates. This is a side-effect of working around the horrible things OEMs do to the Windows install base (like replace strings -- Looking at you, Dell -- and tamper with system files)

Is this about my version of Windows 10 Mint? Btw, can you help me make Windows 10 Mint better? I want to make it as resource light as possible without cutting out any app compatibility or functionality.

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎24 at 10:14 AM, Shamoy12345 said:

Is this about my version of Windows 10 Mint? Btw, can you help me make Windows 10 Mint better? I want to make it as resource light as possible without cutting out any app compatibility or functionality.

First, don't use LTSB as a base. Not only are normal consumers not supposed to get LTSB, It's going to be behind. 

using LTSB as a base is unsafe, as it's intended for "things that won't ever touch the internet for years and years and need to be kept in as stable a stasis as possible." It's a response to the cries for Windows Embedded to have a roll-outable version for non-OEM customers. You'll also lose app compat for newer applications: 14393 and 15063 were both huge leaps in terms of stability and brought in a bunch of new APIs that are being used by a lot of people. For a good list, see the ChangeWindows changelog for 14393.

Second, let the system do most of your work for you. The tweaks to bring back Aero put a heavier strain on system resources (with the new Fluent Acrylic being a very GPU-driven thing with lots of small optimizations). 

Third, don't disable Windows Defender. Really. It's the only thing that gets definitions four times a day (seriously!) and actually has good long-term support.

Fourth, don't distribute a sysprep image, it's against the EULA and you're violating the license. I don't think LTT would think kindly of piracy.