Windows 9.5 Install Guide

12 minutes ago, HunterAP said:

Some people don't inherently have the key listed, the Cortana Removal guide in the OP explains how to add the registry key manually.

Ah, I got it. Thanks.

EDIT: I just restarted and Cortana and Cortana Backgroud Task Host are still running. WTF?

I'm having an issue with the title bar. The text at the top of a window is highlighted in a solid color, and doesn't work well with the theme's multi-color title bar.

There's an example below, the title bar on this web-page. I've noticed that on the LMG Video, it is a white hue instead of a solid color highlight. I'm using the Windows Aero Light theme provided.

After looking through all the settings, I think it has something to do with the registry settings for color. I don't wish to venture into this land, because I know I'll screw it up without instruction, somehow.

AAAAAGH.png

22 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

"Disclaimer: Please don't try this at home, at least not unless you've got a full backup and know what you're getting yourself into".

Ok, so if it is a little dodgy for home use, what about in an enterprise environment? The managers have been pushing the IS department at work for exactly this (re-skinning Windows 10 to look and feel closer to 7 so they don't have to relearn the OS).

Errm, this is kind of the exact opposite of what an Enterprise environment would normally do.

By following this guide, you're adding additional complexity to troubleshooting a Windows install, since it'll have custom themes, registry entries, etc.

Certainly, you can probably make it work. But I would just provide training to the staff that need it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Errm, this is kind of the exact opposite of what an Enterprise environment would normally do.

I know, which is why it concerns me the level of stupid in management departments trying to enforce bad practices they don't understand.

(It was a rhetorical question).

I might just have access to Windows 8.1 Embedded Pro for free ;)

You jelly???

hehe.PNG

~Jervi - Jervi systems inc.

Join Jervi and leave your virginity at home!

The guide works for me. I really dislike the windows 10 and 8 flat coloured UI. Windows 7 UI is much nicer. I hope in the next version of windows, they remake the Aero UI. My only current UI issue is the coloured bar at the bottom of the taskbar program icon. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Sx39ES8.jpg

4 hours ago, Daft_Vader said:

The guide works for me. I really dislike the windows 10 and 8 flat coloured UI. Windows 7 UI is much nicer. I hope in the next version of windows, they remake the Aero UI. My only current UI issue is the coloured bar at the bottom of the taskbar program icon. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Sx39ES8.jpg

Part of the reason why I never finished my win9.1 mod (10 kernel but with the 9 theme) was because of crap like this. I could never get it to look quite right.

My closest attempt (using 10LTSB) looked like this, but somehow I messed up .net so badly I would have had to reinstall the entire system and start over. I just gave up after that. Its currently sitting as an unused VM on one of my servers. 

Also just for fun, here is a picture of Windows 9 1.0 (before i had to remove the logo dll mod due to update issues)

A lot of these modifications might get wrecked as Microsoft keeps releasing feature updates. Also, I'm not a fan of completely disabling telemetry/error reporting. It's a nice way for MS to find out how your PC or applications crash and then they can figure out a solution to these problems. If you disable telemetry, a solution to your problem will never come because MS doesn't know about it..

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

probably a stupid question, but if I do this I can still install UWP apps like Netflix or Hulu without it reactivating the "phoning home" stuff right? Honestly Netflix app and Native bluetooth support for a Xbox One controller are like the only reasons I would use Windows 10.

This

On 3/7/2017 at 7:25 AM, nicklmg said:

Open a command prompt as Administrator, then type:

·       sc diagtrack start= disabled

o   The space after start= is a must

·       sc stop diagtrack

(after changing sc diagtrack start= disabled -> sc config diagtrack start= disabled; space is not needed at "=", at least on my Win 10 Ent 2016 Anniversary. Although sc command manual tells you to put it so it is better to listen to Microsoft then) and this

On 3/7/2017 at 7:25 AM, nicklmg said:

§  Connected User Experiences and Telemetry – Automatic -> Disabled

is redundant. Doing either of those steps will do the same thing. The second one is more user friendly for clicky clicky users. I like batch scripting so the first one  is my choice.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:25 AM, nicklmg said:
So you're curious and want to make your own Windows 9.5? Cool. Huge disclaimer: It worked for us, might not work for you, that kind of thing. If that's still cool with you, let's begin!

o   Start from a fresh install of Windows 10

o   Make sure it's fully updated

o   Disable telemetry - - It’s not like Microsoft would be interested in what we’ll be up to here

§  Change privacy settings in Windows’ Settings app

§  Disable telemetry in the registry

§  Open a command prompt as Administrator, then type:

·       sc diagtrack start= disabled

o   The space after start= is a must

·       sc stop diagtrack

o   Services changes - Hold the Windows key and press R, then type services.msc and choose OK.

§  Background Intelligent Transfer Serivce – Automatic (Delayed Start) -> Manual

§  Connected User Experiences and Telemetry – Automatic -> Disabled

§  Diagnostic Policy Service – Automatic -> Manual

§  Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) – Manual (Triggered) -> Disabled

§  Windows Biometric Service – Automatic -> Manual

§  WLAN Autoconfig – Automatic -> Manual

o   Download and install the following:

§  Aeroglass 1.5.2 - http://www.glass8.eu/download

§  Win7 Taskbar Reflection - http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6089&hilit=windows+7+taskbar+texture&start=50#p27834 - Save the "Win7 Taskbar Reflection for opacity 40 qty .png" attachment

§  Win7 Start Button - http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3207#p15050 - Save the "Windows 7.png" attachment

§  ClassicShell - http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/ - Once installed, navigate to the following menus and make changes as necessary:

·       Skin: WIN7LIKE

·       Start Button

o   Replace Start Button

o   Button Image: Choose file - Windows 7.png

o   Button size: Change to 24, 32, 48, 64, etc as needed based on resolution / scaling

·       Taskbar

o   Taskbar Look: Glass

o   Taskbar Opacity: 40

o   Taskbar Texture: Choose file - Win7 Taskbar Reflection for opacity 40 qty .png

·       Menu Look

o   Glass Opacity: 10

§  7+ Taskbar Tweaker - http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

·       Right-click the tray icon, click advanced options, change show_desktop_button_size to 12

·       Right-click taskbar, Cortana -> Hidden, uncheck Show Task View Button on the same menu

§  OldNewExplorer - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/oldnewexplorer.html 

·       Choose "Use command bar instead of Ribbon", then install

§  UxStyle - https://github.com/riverar/uxstyle/releases

§  Aero 7 theme - http://sagorpirbd.deviantart.com/art/Aero-7-Themes-for-Win10-Final-523979941

·       The "Clear" version of this theme was used for our video.

·       Navigate to "Theme\Themes For 10 Build 14393 Anniversary Update" and copy everything in that folder to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

o   Registry tweaks:

§  Hold the Windows key and hit R, then type regedit and choose OK

§  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

·       Right-click -> New -> DWORD: ColorizationGlassReflectionIntensity – Double-click and set to decimal 100

·       Right-click -> New -> DWORD: ColorizationColorBalance – Double-click and set to decimal 100

·       Right-click -> New -> DWORD: ColorizationColorBalanceInactive – Double-click and set to decimal 25

·       Right-click -> New -> DWORD: GlassOpacity – Double-click and set to decimal 20

·       Right-click -> New -> DWORD: RoundRectRadius – Double-click and set to decimal 12

o   More aggressive tweaks, if desired:

§  Copy taskmgr.exe and msconfig.exe from a Windows 7 install, name them something like tm.exe and msconfig1.exe and place them in Windows\System32

§  Replace Task Manager with the copied version in the registry

§  Follow the same procedure with msconfig

§  Disable the People, Calendar, and Mail storage services (will disable these apps) and tile updates

·       CDPUserSvc_7e8fc5, Contact Data_7e8fc5, Sync Host_7e8fc5, Tile Data Model Server, User Data Access_7e8fc5, User Data Storage_7e8fc5

§  Uninstall every UWP app except for Store (so you can get them again as needed later)

§  Disable Cortana

§  Turn on verbose login/shutdown messages if that’s your bag

And that's it! If all went well, you're now looking at Windows 9.5 - Windows 10 with a Windows 7 skin and disabled telemetry.

Pls fix thread for dark theme.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Did this tutorial, love the way it came out. I have always liked the way Windows 7 looked and it is nice to have the feel of it back.

windows 9.5.png

On 3/7/2017 at 9:00 PM, xoomdust said:

Ah, I got it. Thanks.

EDIT: I just restarted and Cortana and Cortana Backgroud Task Host are still running. WTF?

That just disables the "Cortana-y" parts of Cortana like voice and web searching.

As a few others have found out, forcefully completely disabling Cortana will just break search entirely.

On 3/6/2017 at 6:09 PM, tomg said:

I am actually building an ISO img now, but i dont know if there is any legal way to share it without breaking laws or rules...

Do you have that ISO?

I *may be* able to sort out some hosting for it

On 3/6/2017 at 10:45 PM, coconut said:

watch as i

dism /capture-image /imagefile:c:\users\n00bfux0r69\dism\win9.5.wim /capturedir:d:\ /name:"Windows 9.5 LMG"

Do you have an installable version of Windows using sysprep/dism which works?

I've been trying to get an OOBE image going but even after making all the modifications in Audit mode, none of it's there after the OOBE installation finishes (on the subject or new PC)

On 3/9/2017 at 8:52 AM, BeholdenCypress said:

Did this tutorial, love the way it came out. I have always liked the way Windows 7 looked and it is nice to have the feel of it back.

<snip>

I see from your screenshot you got the "Show Desktop" in the taskbar to be the correct width.

I couldn't find the option to make it 12px wide.

Can you show me where?

Small issue, I have this overlay on the bottom right of my screen for Aero Glass, anyone have an idea how to disable that?

Capture.PNG

I figured it out, you need to donate to the project. It seems that the number of Euros donated equals the number of PCs you can make keys for. The dev also lets you deactivate a key if you need to move to another PC which is quite reasonable. It's a nice project so I'd say go ahead and give the dev at least the min donate amount if you plan to use Aero Glass, it's only fair.

EDIT: The fix by the way is to move the key file from the donate site to the C:\AeroGlass folder.

21 hours ago, doron12349 said:

if some one is working on it can you do it with windows 10 enterprise? thanks

LTSB? If so 2015 or 2016 edition?

For people not familiar with LTSB editions, it is Windows 10 with 10 year support without any feature updates ever, only bug fixes and security patches. It is also without many bloatware stuff which they put into regular consumer Win 10.

You missed a step and forgot to include this atlas theme for Aero Glass to achieve that full windows 7 look with rounded corners and buttons

Link: 

Theme Atlas Collection for Windows 10.14393 Final

Love the outcome!

windows 7.jpg

SPECS [ Component: Component Name (Date bought) ]

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS AX370 Gaming K7 (August 2017)
PSU: Seasonic M12-II 750W EVO 80+ Bronze (October 2016)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor (August 2017)
CPU Cooler: ID-Cooling AuraFlow RGB 240mm AIO (August 2017)
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! 8GB GDDR5 (October 2016)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8GB * 2 (16GB) 3000MHz C16 (August 2017)
Boot Drive: Samsung SSD Evo 850 120GB (October 2015)
Storage Drives:
- Western Digital Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache (March 2011)
- Western Digital Blue 2.5" 1TB (August 2015)

On 7.3.2017 at 0:06 AM, Analog said:

why not just install a copy of Windows 10 LTSB and be done with it. 

THANK YOU for pointing me in this direction - i did not know that a no bullshit edition LTSB version of windows 10 is existing. i downloaded an ISO and installed it on a VM to see what it is like. 

and WOW ... this might be a windows 10 version i could actually live with ... first thing i noticed as i opened the start menu for the first time is the complete absence of all the bloatware modern apps that make windows 10 oh-so-exciting.

no live tiles, no MS store, no mail, calendar, or weather app in sight.

no cortana with forced conveniently integrated web search. just a plain old search bar instead, only able to search on the local system.

also, no "free" solitaire with ads and in app purchases

and i don't know where the "wanna try office 365 ?" messages went - i have not seem them since i installed it yesterday. not. once.

long story short: THIS is what it looks like (don't mind chrome and portableapps - i installed that manually)

VirtualBox_Windows 10 LTSB_12_03_2017_22_04_00.png

now the only thing i need to find out is how an average nerd not affiliated with a big corporation wich buys volume licenses by the dozen can legally acquire a license key for windows 10 LTSB without paying an arm and a leg for it. 

can anyone help me out with that ??? pretty please ?

On 3/10/2017 at 2:32 AM, aaronfranke said:

That just disables the "Cortana-y" parts of Cortana like voice and web searching.

As a few others have found out, forcefully completely disabling Cortana will just break search entirely.

not true you can disable cortana with group polices 

On 3/6/2017 at 10:45 PM, coconut said:

watch as i

dism /capture-image /imagefile:c:\users\n00bfux0r69\dism\win9.5.wim /capturedir:d:\ /name:"Windows 9.5 LMG"

Am I right in thinking a image capture for a .wim file does not keep the installed programs in the wim pre installed so if you put it on another machine id need to install all the add on programs again?

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

11 hours ago, Ykno said:

Am I right in thinking a image capture for a .wim file does not keep the installed programs in the wim pre installed so if you put it on another machine id need to install all the add on programs again?

It keeps them pre-installed. Some stuff might deactivate after sysprep because the SID changes. 

You might have to put some customization into the default profile and its registry hive if you want it ready to go after first install. 

On 3/13/2017 at 6:30 AM, KenjiUmino said:

now the only thing i need to find out is how an average nerd not affiliated with a big corporation wich buys volume licenses by the dozen can legally acquire a license key for windows 10 LTSB without paying an arm and a leg for it. 

can anyone help me out with that ??? pretty please ?

IMO the only possible solution is actually to ask a friend from a company which has that version of Windows to sell you one license.

Also, LTSB keys for 2015 edition and 2016 edition are not interchangeable. 2016 edition is equivalent to anniversary patch one and it is not possible to upgrade 2015 version to anniversary because LTSB only receives security and bug fix patches, not feature update ones.

sc diagtrack start= disabled     is wrong 

sc config DiagTrack start= disabled    is correct

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |