Windows 9.5 Install Guide

Ah cool, I was talking about how I modded my win10 to look closer to the formal XP/7 just a few days ago, theres are a lot of cool tweaking one can do.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I don't know if I'm somehow doing something wrong but the 

sc diagtrack start= disabled

doesn't seem to work for me I keep getting unrecognized command.

Is there something wrong with the syntax here or is there something else?

My windows install is only a few days old, and I haven't made any other modifications to it yet.

Thanks for all the info especially the telemetry global shut down!

watch as i

dism /capture-image /imagefile:c:\users\mightbemaybeme\dism\win9.5.wim /capturedir:d:\ /name:"Windows 9.5 LMG"

4 hours ago, tomg said:

i am building a 9.5 ISO following the steps above, does anyone want that version?

i would very much like to have an iso of this. 

I seem to be having trouble with downloading one of the files needed.

It's probably right in my face but I have no idea how to save this thing!

https://gyazo.com/bdb4518fc652b314a38c85e775e7440b

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

"Disclaimer: Please don't try this at home, at least not unless you've got a full backup and know what you're getting yourself into".

Ok, so if it is a little dodgy for home use, what about in an enterprise environment? The managers have been pushing the IS department at work for exactly this (re-skinning Windows 10 to look and feel closer to 7 so they don't have to relearn the OS).

Think I got it. :P Wow Im stupid

AMD A10 7700k APU @ 3.8 GHz  /  Dem Integrated R7 graphics  / 8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1800 MHz RAM  /  1 TB WD Black HDD  /  ARC Midi R2 Case  /  ASRock FM2A88M Pro 3+ 

Logitech MX Performance / Razor Blackwidow Ultimate

10 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Navigate to "Theme\Themes For 10 Build 14393 Anniversary Update" and copy everything in that folder to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

I'm not sure what this is saying? Where do I find the Theme folder?

7 hours ago, iPhantomMonkey said:

I don't know if I'm somehow doing something wrong but the 

sc diagtrack start= disabled

doesn't seem to work for me I keep getting unrecognized command.

Is there something wrong with the syntax here or is there something else?

My windows install is only a few days old, and I haven't made any other modifications to it yet.

Change this command to

sc config diagtrack start= disabled

and it should work (did for me)

9 hours ago, tomg said:

i am building a 9.5 ISO following the steps above, does anyone want that version?

Yeah I'd like that version when you have it

(commenting about the video)

Windows 7 is optimised for old computers running with HDD and such stuff. An another PC-builder Youtuber suggested this guide.

I have followed the steps but my minimize, expand and close buttons don't look right. They are far too big and blocky. 

How do I change them to look more like Windows 7?

Presumably I've missed a step somewhere by accident but I don't know which one. 

Buttons.PNG

16 hours ago, tomg said:

I am actually building an ISO img now, but i dont know if there is any legal way to share it without breaking laws or rules...

I could ask the guy hosting 9.0 if they would be willing to host 9.5 too. Also, I'd be willing to make a few mirrors.

Anyway though, Microsoft permits and encourages custom ISOs, that's why they created tools just for making them. Usually this feature is only taken advantage of by enterprises but regular users definitely can use this feature. Just be sure to NOT include any software that allows its usage without a license key. 

16 hours ago, tomg said:

I am actually building an ISO img now, but i dont know if there is any legal way to share it without breaking laws or rules...

theres no legal way because the media comes under copyright law

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

theres no legal way because the media comes under copyright law

from what i understand it is legal as long as there is no product key or key activator included 

On 3/7/2017 at 10:47 AM, 92780_1454179961 said:

Anyway though, Microsoft permits and encourages custom ISOs, that's why they created tools just for making them. Usually this feature is only taken advantage of by enterprises but regular users definitely can use this feature. Just be sure to NOT include any software that allows its usage without a license key. 

i thought they just did this for OEM but extended it due to the EU constantly suing them. I remember they released a tool for win 7 so anyone in the EU could build windows without explorer and several other components. It was a pretty difficult tool to use

On 3/7/2017 at 10:50 AM, tomg said:

from what i understand it is legal as long as there is no product key or key activator included 

no it comes under copyright law you cannot distribute it without permission from the rights holder. Only OEMs are afforded the right to customize Windows and distribute

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

c.      Restrictions. The manufacturer or installer and Microsoft reserve all rights (such as rights under intellectual property laws) not expressly granted in this agreement. For example, this license does not give you any right to, and you may not:

(i)      use or virtualize features of the software separately;

(ii)     publish, copy (other than the permitted backup copy), rent, lease, or lend the software;

(iii)    transfer the software (except as permitted by this agreement);

(iv)    work around any technical restrictions or limitations in the software;

(v)     use the software as server software, for commercial hosting, make the software available for simultaneous use by multiple users over a network, install the software on a server and allow users to access it remotely, or install the software on a device for use only by remote users;

(vi)    reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the software, or attempt to do so, except and only to the extent that the foregoing restriction is permitted by applicable law or by licensing terms governing the use of open-source components that may be included with the software; and

(vii)   when using Internet-based features you may not use those features in any way that could interfere with anyone else’s use of them, or to try to gain access to or use any service, data, account, or network, in an unauthorized manner.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

no it comes under copyright law you cannot distribute it. Only OEMs are afforded the right to customize Windows and distribute

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

may just have to file this under "do it and hope its not popular enough to get attention from someone who can make you take it down or sue you"

8 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

no it comes under copyright law you cannot distribute it. Only OEMs are afforded the right to customize Windows and distribute

You need to include more context:

a.      License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement.

So if you have a license you can use the software. You cannot copy the software to those who do not have a license but if they do have a license that's fine.

I'm not a legal export but 1. This seems to be allowed from what I understand, 2. The section you quoted is a general disclaimer and is not specific, 3. Windows 9 has not been taken down and LTT giving it recognition means that LTT acknowledges its legality, 4. Microsoft provides public downloads for Windows 10 without asking for a license key, and 5. There is a reason Microsoft created tools specifically for creating custom images and gives these tools to consumers

3 minutes ago, tomg said:

may just have to file this under "do it and hope its not popular enough to get attention from someone who can make you take it down or sue you"

i would be surprised if MS gave a shit. from the video screens shots it says things like 32bit only. this "windows 9" has to be the most pointless thing iv seen LTT do. They should have looked into the windows customization kit but that would prob be too technical for them

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=5753

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i would be surprised if MS gave a shit. from the video screens shots it says things like 32bit only. this "windows 9" has to be the most pointless thing iv seen LTT do. They should have looked into the windows customization kit but that would prob be too technical for them

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=5753

Opposite. From site: "Windows 9 is x64 only - it will not work on 32 bit systems".

On 3/7/2017 at 11:02 AM, 92780_1454179961 said:

You need to include more context:

So if you have a license you can use the software. You cannot copy the software to those who do not have a license but if they do have a license that's fine.

I'm not a legal export but 1. This seems to be allowed from what I understand, 2. The section you quoted is a general disclaimer and is not specific, 3. Windows 9 has not been taken down and LTT giving it recognition means that LTT acknowledges its legality, 4. Microsoft provides public downloads for Windows 10 without asking for a license, and 5. There is a reason Microsoft created tools specifically for creating custom images and gives these tools to consumers

I am a MS license expert, I worked in MS anti-piracy for several years. Iv offered my advice to LTT on several occasions but you never take me up on it you just go ahead and say silly misleading things. I hope you understand I'm not a MS shareholder and I don't like their products or business but when I see misleading advice I have to correct it.

1. MS does provide tools to customize Windows but you cannot distribute it; it comes under copy-right law which means you need permission from the copyright holder. There is a legal way to do this, you need to be an OEM partner. Figured out why Windows embedded is for VL, education, and OEM partners only yet?

2. The "general disclaimer" I posted is specific to Windows; it can be found on every license agreement and EULA on every MS product.

3. That is like saying a tinny house is legal because they cops haven't shut it down yet. Your grasp on what is legal uneducated and full of false assumptions.

4. Microsoft provides public downloads for Windows 10 (not windows embedded) but that does not make it public domain, you cannot take it from microsoft.com and re-share it or change it in any way. Again the ISO media distributed by MS is protected by copyright law.

You may have not bothered to ever read through a EULA like most people but i use to get paid to do it.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:05 AM, 92780_1454179961 said:

Opposite. From site: "Windows 9 is x64 only - it will not work on 32 bit systems".

correct i found it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I am a MS license expert, I worked in MS anti-piracy for several years. Iv offered my advice to LTT on several occasions but you never take me up on it you just go ahead and say silly misleading things. I hope you understand I'm not a MS shareholder and I don't like their products or business but when I see misleading advice I have to correct it.

1. MS does provide tools to customize Windows but you cannot distribute it; it comes under copy-right law which means you need permission from the copyright holder. There is a legal way to do this, you need to be an OEM partner. Figured out why Windows embedded is for VL, education, and OEM partners only yet?

2. The "general disclaimer" I posted is specific to Windows; it can be found on every license agreement and EULA on every MS product.

3. That is like saying a tinny house is legal because they cops haven't shut it down yet. Your grasp on what is legal uneducated and full of false assumptions.

4. Microsoft provides public downloads for Windows 10 (not windows embedded) but that does not make it public domain, you cannot take it from microsoft.com and re-share it or change it in any way. Again the ISO media distributed by MS is protected by copyright law.

You may have not bothered to ever read through a EULA like most people but i use to get paid to do it.

Hi, Win9 creator here, 

So... You're saying I can get sued.... hmmm..... :\

Edit: I had someone tell me they'd go after MEGA first, since they're actually hosting it. So I guess I'm fine for now.

So I can't find that registry key for AllowCortana, anyone else having this problem with the latest updates on W10?

55 minutes ago, xoomdust said:

So I can't find that registry key for AllowCortana, anyone else having this problem with the latest updates on W10?

Some people don't inherently have the key listed, the Cortana Removal guide in the OP explains how to add the registry key manually.